LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » can too many vitams hurt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can too many vitams hurt?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was taking a lot of vitamins but have stopped due to my stomach problems.

but taking about 15 capsules or pills has got me curious.

can that many be harmful?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamins can upset your stomach. If you're already having gastro symptoms I would try taking maybe only half that and seeing if it helps.

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends where they come from and what they specifically are. Wholefood vitamins I use. ALIVE. I don't use more than 3 per day.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Depends where they come from and what they specifically are." said MB.

Exactly. The majority of vitamins being used are not derived from food. Mostly from cheap chemicals so BigPharma can count the money.

Have seen some x-rays with undigested "vitamins" in the colon.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Exactly. The majority of vitamins being used are not derived from food. Mostly from cheap chemicals so BigPharma can count the money.

Uhh slow down there! Big Pharma has nothing to do with supplements industry . In fact they actively try to kill it. "Cheap chemicals" are cheap because they are not patented and there is free market competition between producers, not because they are low quality
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi boo boo bear..

One vitamin can cause problems if it is not agreeing with you. Some folks can't take even the simplest things like Vitamin C.

I'd suggest if you want to try vitamins... only do one at a time... and try it for a week. Then add another one.

And do note.. some supplements and vitamins are only made to be taken for a short time... and some you should stop after 6 weeks, for example.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most vitamins are water soluble and your kidneys will flush out the excess. Vitamin A is not and you can overdose on it. Minerals need to be somewhat in balance. Your calcium intake should be 1.2 to 1.5 part calcium to one part phosphorus. Magnesium should be about the same as phosphorus. Too much calcium with interfere with the absorption of magnesium. Selenium is very toxic in high doses but is a powerful antioxidant so you should be sure you are getting enough of it. Zinc and copper need to be in proper ratio to each other and are important in the conversion of your thyroid hormone T4 to the active form T3. D3, which comes from the sun, is often dificient in us in the winter especially if we live in the north. As it is linked to cancer prevention, it is good to supplement this vitamin as well. Vitamin C is often taken excessively to help with lyme but most of it is excreted. It causes loose stools when taken in large amounts. Magnesium should be supplemented because it is used up by the lyme bacteria. But is is best to use a chelated form such as magnesium citrate rather than the cheap magnesium oxide which can cause diarrhea. The B vitamins are critical to recovery and you really can't overdose on them. B12 deficiency has similar symptoms to lyme disease.
There are also essential amino acids that help with recovery. Acetyl N Cysteine is thought to fight bio films. Acetyl L Carnitine
helps with energy, converting fat to muscle. Alpha Lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant that is very helpful for lyme patients.

It is really hard to get all of this down. You should take the natural kind and if you take them with food it is easier for you body to absorb it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much D3 made me very sick. My dr. wanted me on 10,000 IU per day. I was on 7,000 and could not walk straight. I am currently on 1,000 and doing ok with that.

You can search "D3 overdose" (for example) and see symptoms of too much of a vitamin.

Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coltman - "The Real Truth About Vitamins and Antioxidants" by Judith DeCava, RN is a good place to start. Google it.

Then we can go to other sources. BigPharma does want control, either making cheap FRACTIONS on their own or controlling access through Codex.

I have been studying healthcare for 40 years and have been a health care professional for 25 years.
Almost all of my required continuing education has been in nutrition. And lots of studying + reading on my own.

nefferdun - posts like yours above lead me to believe that you have studied extensively or work in the field. Where did you get your extensive knowledge ?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie
Member # 23294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have hidden food allergies, vitamins containing these substances can do more harm than good.

e.g. I found out through Allergie-Immun testing that I was allergic to wheat/gluten, corn and soy. I already knew I was gluten intolerant but not the others.

It makes sense now -I would always feel ill when I took a multi...

Many supps contain soy and/or corn. Many brands of vit C are derived from corn nowadays.

Posts: 88 | From Toronto | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
And most corn is loaded with toxic farm chemicals &/or it is GMO (genetically modified). None of that is something that is nourishing in a living being.

You really have to do a ton of homework to know you have the very best vitamins or supplements.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
massman, I do study it trying to heal myself and my animals. Before I realized I had lyme my horses needed to have minerals balanced because of metabolic conditions like insulin resistance. Recently I purchased a very expensive vitamin/mineral "miracle cure" for all of us and I wanted to know why it worked, if it really does, so I began the research all over again. That is why it is fresh in my mind. The manufacturer reveals the ingredients of this "magic" but keeps the blend a secret. I am trying to figure it out because there are a lot of very cheap forms of minerals in it that cannot be properly absorbed. And the stuff is very expensive. Sometimes we just have to figure out what is effective so we are not throwing away money on magical cures.

Want to correct two things, it is selenium and zinc that affects the conversion of T4 to T3. I need to go back and read about D3 but I believe it causes dizziness and weakness in high doses. Given in an excessive amount, it killed ponies in just 4 months. And as you guys may remember a bunch of polo ponies died after being fed too much selenium. Yet too little causes a weak immune response, muscle cramping and nervousness.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement