LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How cold do you get?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How cold do you get?
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is going to sound weird, but no one "gets it" when I try to explain just how cold I really am...

For the past week I've been so cold during the day that it's hard to move. It feels like I'm cold from the inside out. I feel like I'm so cold it's messing with my heart. It gets kind of hard to breathe and my lungs feel tight and I feel dizzy and like I'm going to pass out. I know it sounds kind of weird because people don't usually associate being cold with feeling like you're going to pass out...but that's kind of what's been going on.

Does anyone get that cold? I took my temperature and it was 96 degrees. I believe normal is 98.6. It's been lower before though (95s).

Just wondering if anyone can relate, and what you do about it. I drank hot water because literally nothing else was working. Scary.

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get very cold often and literally start cringing. It's terrible. All my muscles just lock-up.

What kind of thermometer are you using? I get 96.2 or 95.8 deg readings most of the time with a digital one. However, I think the digital ones are crap and many here use them. They never show me a temp over 97 degrees. They say accurate to +/-0.1 deg...yeah right. I believe they're maybe 1 to 1.5 deg below normal to begin with.

Other opinions? Ouch I just realized even if off by 1 degree that my temp would only be 97.2 deg. lol. The only time I've had normal temps in 10 years was on Doxycycline. It automatically raised it to 98.5 deg. That stumps me.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too. Normal for lymies. Messe up thyroid, adrenals and HPA axis will do this. Treat, get well...it will get better.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my conventional docs just laugh and say A-OK when my temps come up low. They say low is no problem. Only fevers. They said some people just naturally run 2-3 deg below 98.6.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek, I can totally relate.

I've used both types of thermometers. With my digital, I always get 96ish. With the regular basal thermometer, it swings more. I'll get as low as 94.9 and as high as 97, but I'll never get over 97.

Blinkie, I agree about the thyroid and adrenals. I just started meds for hypothyroid today though (even though my thyroid labs came out normal), yet this all happened. I was so cold I thought I'd have to ask someone to take me to the ER. I dont know why that would happen on meds that are supposed to boost the thyroid. Then again, my body is crazy.

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

With most docs if you can stand, appear to be breathing and aren't blue, you're good to go. [Smile]
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get very cold. When I saw my LLMD he put me on thyroid medication, and that helped, but I still get cold.

I never took my temperature- I don't have a thermometer. But I would be so cold that I would be wearing every piece of clothing I owned, sitting outside in 20+ degree weather (celsius- so that is 70 plus farenheit), shivering and hardly able to move. Now, its only my feet and lower legs that get cold

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephfino
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephfino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am cold all of the time.

I have been getting chills for the past two years now. My LLMD says this is from a coinfection and is quite normal w/ lyme. Before I was finally diagnosed I saw an Endocrinologist and had an ultrasound of my thyroid and mega labwork run -all were normal.

My temp flucuates during the day. When I get the chills (actual goosebumps and strange internal sensations) my temp is usually around 97. I've only been on antibiotics a month so far. Im hoping eventually I will return to normal and not be freezing all of the time.

Posts: 160 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea-for over 2 years I always added a degree to everyone in the family cos' I thought it was just off a degree at least.
I got so bad I cried to have to go work animals in the cold. That was with long johns, 2 pairs of cloths and good triple layer insulated overalls and double coat.
It will get better with treatment. I can now go out for short periods and not feel like I might not be found in time.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is how cold I was the other night. I had on my PJs, long sleeves and long pants, thick socks, a very thick robe, AND was under a quilt and an electric blanket. Took me an hour to warm up.

My temp is usually in the 97. something range. I do use a digital thermometer, but had my husband take his temp with it and his was 98.5.

I haven't even taken my temperature in a couple of months. Maybe I need to. I don't seem to have as many cold episodes as I use to, but I'm still colder than everyone else around me.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"With most docs if you can stand, appear to be breathing and aren't blue, you're good to go."

HAhaha that is my life. I just wish we had the ability to transfer our body feelings over to the jerk in front of us - oh so sweet.

My temp is around 96 something since I have been sick. I am so cold if I sit or lay down I make the place I am sitting colder. I have two heating pads on the couch plus blankets and two electric blankets on the bed, one for underneath me and one over the top.

My digestive system is so messed up off antibiotics and on fluconzole and kinda hoping this helps with the cold as all other tests are normal. I also have read that if your temperature is low your digestion does not work so well (I think cold body page).

So no, you are not alone

--------------------
1999 CFS, 2002 CMV Myco pneumonia
1 year antibiotics on and off
2002 EBV, 2009 Positive Igenex Borellia and Babesia, Brain mri severe white matter disease
Monoclonal Gammopathy. On and off antibiotics since sept. March 9 started iv antibiotics

Posts: 328 | From somewhereelse | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NellieK
Member # 23554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NellieK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get chills every once in awhile and sleep with an extra blanket at night after a hot bath. But other than that, I feel pretty warm LOL! Funny what little things I appreciate these days.
Posts: 39 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How cold do I get? Very - even in the summer though the winter it's much worse. Hands/feet freezing, body shivering/sweating at the same time.

For me the 'passing out' feeling is constant too, as someone already said, HPA axis dysfunction, etc...terrible to feel this way.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get so cold that I feel like my bones have turned to ice--that's what I tell people, and they look at me funny.

But literally, that's how bad I feel sometimes.

I have honestly gone to sleep under the covers with my winter coat on and been just comfortable.

As I read these posts, I remember my mom used to be cold like this too--even in the summer she was covered up or wearing a sweater.

Makes me wonder if she had Lyme too.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement