LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » muscle/nerve twitch question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: muscle/nerve twitch question
learning721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for learning721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So since starting treatment my twitching and nerv twitching in feet, hands and arms is really increasing

the strange thing is that i cannot SEE much of this twitching it's just internal feeling- i know many people describe their muscle issues as the muscle literally jerking or their whole arm or leg moving

but i think what this is is more like fasciculations with tendon and nerve involvement-
i even get what feels like internal muscle "trembling" where a part of the muscle will tremble for a second.

It's just so odd to me that most of this is not very visable

I mean sometimes my finger will jerk out or something but for the most part this is all internal sensations. Any thoughts or anyone with the same?

I just had an EMG done and he is checking my muscle enzymes with a CPK but he doesnt' think anything serious b/c the EMG was still normal.

Posts: 116 | From Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES i have EXACTLY what you describe!

Especially in the feet and face,
and some days just all over my body.

Fluttering twitches, some non stop, others that come and go.

What is your medication right now?
It might be hitting the infection hard! And that is good news for you.

I have to use sleeping meds to be able to sleep from all the insane twitching and crawling in my body. Occasionally I have big jerks as well, esp. during IV treatment.

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
learning721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for learning721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on doxycycline- glad to find some one with the same -isn't this disease freaky?

I hope you are right and it is hitting this mess hard! [Smile]

Have you had anything relieve it? how long have you had the twitching like this?

Posts: 116 | From Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that too. It started happening a couple of years ago, before I realized I had lyme.

It was mostly in my legs but could happen anywhere else in my body as well. Even sometimes it felt like it was happening deep down in my organs. Very freaky.

For the most part, it is gone now after being in treatment for a few months.

I know that magnesium helps a lot with this but can't think of other things I've heard mentioned on here.

Are you taking magnesium and/or any other supplements?

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Electrolyte replacement drinks or mixes, like the

ones in pharmacy for vomiting and diarrhea can help

a lot. Also Epsom salt soaks helped me. Rinse with

cooler water seems to help the nerves.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes have all these. Twitching, trembling, and the larger jerks. Makes me feel like I have MS, scary.
Only about 3 months in to treatment. Magnesium hasn't helped yet. Epsom baths only temp relieve pain.

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've talked with several people who assured me they were taking magnesium for heart irregularities and muscle twitches, only to find out that they were using magnesium oxide.

Magnesium is bulky, so manufacturers don't put much in their multiple vitamins.

Magnesium oxide is cheap, so that's what they tend to use, even though it is not well absorbed.

Look at the list of ingredients.
The forms of mag you want are:
Magnesium glycinate, citrate, taurinate, or malate.
And you may need a larger dose than you're taking now.

You can eat almonds and beans to get more magnesium in your diet.
Buy a pound of almonds at the grocery store, and eat several ounces per day.
Almond butter is tasty.

Kidney beans, Great Northern Beans, rice and beans, chili con carne with beans, bean soup, bean burritos, refried beans.

When I realized that I felt better when I ate beans, I made a point of making them more often.
When I make macaroni salad, I add a can of kidney beans.

A friend introduced me to Tuscan Pasta Bean Soup.
I found a great recipe for Red Beans and Rice, which is a very satisfying meal.

Toasted pumpkin seeds, without the shells, are a good source of magnesium and other minerals.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
learning - For faster relief, that is, until your pill supp begins to kick in, try transdermal magnesium oil. Squirt it in a glass (not plastic, but glass) and dilute 1/2 & 1/2, Mg and water, then sit on the edge of your bathtub and slowly pour it on your torso and other areas that seem active. (Be sure & catch the "roll-off with your arms and rub it gently on your legs or other parts, not just let it go down the drain.) Let it air dry; takes about 10 minutes and either rinse it off, or I leave it on, just cuz I might not want to take a bath at that particular time.

Be sure to start with about 20 squirts and not the full 32, else you could end up with loose bowels. If bowels become soft, then you've used too much. Also avoid pouring solution directly over chest if you've been bothered by arrythmias at that time, or it will make them active for a bit.

After about 20 or 30 minutes, you should start to feel more relaxed and the twitches should subside. It's great before bedtime. Also, the bottle can last you about 60 days or more. (Remember, you're not using full dose, every day.)

www.magnesiumdirect.com

[ 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: ping ]

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had twitching in my calf muscles for 4 years---also the wonderful vibrating & burning sensation in my skin.

My doc says LD attacks, among other areas, the peripheral nervous system & that is the cause of the twitches, etc.

I was "cured" in early 09 (after 3 years of treatment), only to have all my symptoms come roaring back in October 09.

Been on 400 mg doxy daily for past 3 months & symptoms are not as bad now.

Good luck

Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
learning721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23798

Thanks everyone for responding, wow, today was really a kicker. i tried to get in a tunnel with my son at the park and felt like i injured a nerve. i'm 22 and my body feels like it's falling apart

I am taking magnesium- funny i eat a lot of almonds and beans too! well maybe i'll try getting if from that stuff b/c my supplements actually are the oxide kind

Anyway my magnsium levels checked out okay after starting the supplements so i'm worried b/c this nerve and ligament stuff keeps going and going. I feel it in my hands and arms all the time, and around my elbows of all places DOES ANYONE else get this around the elbows? how crazy is that?

And then it just started up on the sides of my legs- the nerves/tendons or whatever in there pulling.

I really appreciate all the tips- I'm really depressed about this as i'm afraid it may not go away and how long can a nerve or tendon twitch without giving out?

sounds like sickpuppy you're in the same boat with no help yet from the mag? well i'm still waiting too. The electrolyte thing was a great tip- will certainly try that, i do try to take a little potassium

I know i posted something similar about this a while back but didn't get a big response-some of the symptoms are so hard for me to describe b/c i was never really "literate" on how my body functioned before b/c it used to function perfectly!

When i wasn't sure at all about what i was feeling in my hands and arms- sometimes i'm STILL not- i posted that this felt like little popping/pulling sensations in my fingers and arms
b/c i wasn't sure if it was the muscle,nerve or tendon

the muscles in our fingers are so tiny i guess that who can really tell what all in there is "twitching"? It's all so crazy. And i wish i could tell honestly if using my hands more aggrivates it- it just happens any old time so it's pretty hard for me to tell

i'm just hoping that nothing will tear in there! yikes!

sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Mag Tab Sr rec by Dr. B. Once in a while some magnesium glyinate. Maybe I have to take A LOT but I read something about the kidneys being damaged by too much. What is TOO much?
I know about that take it til loose stool thing and then back down.

Well anyway good luck twitchers, I'll be twitching too.

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both the "invisible" twitching and the very visible muscle twitches. Both have gotten significantly better after 2 yrs abx treatment.
Now I only have the twitching on occasion.. some days nothing, some days just minor all day.

Mag. didn't seem to do anything for my twitches except possibly make them worse.
But mine definately got worse when I started abx therapy before it got better.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had exactly what you describe and it went away with treatment. I get a little of it back when I herx, about every four weeks. It is also a symptom of bartonella so you should check that out. I had muscle twitching, strange chills in one location of my body and pulling of the tendons that sometimes was very painful. Magnesium is a must as it helps the muscles relax after contraction. You also need B12. You might also try some valerian root which relaxes the muscles.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
learning721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23798

To all my fellow twitching lyme sufferers...the support is awesome... i must say this issue has been one of my most distressing

It's nice t know most of you have improved with treatment

ickyticky sorry the mag didn't help you. i'm wondering the same thing since my levels are fine and this is still going on
-hopefully this is something that will get better with treatment, it sounds like yours did

nefferdun thanks for the barttonella tip and yea, i'm trying to take b12 methyl i think i take like 2000mcg.

anyway so far the tendon or nerve issues haven't been too painful, i can deal with a littl neuropathy i guess if this is all nerve related but i'm really just waiting for the neurologist to finish rulling out anything else

as of right now there is no nerve damage or neuropathy so that's good.

i just hate the way it feels- nefferdun did you ever get the twitching in joint areas like your elbows? or has anyone? wouldn't this have to be the tendon or nerve or is there muscle lining the elbow? forgive me, i never took human anatomy classes when i had the chance.

well to everyone with nerve and muscle twitches hang in there, i now how incredibly annoying this is..

adamtedder
Member # 24476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adamtedder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of the major symptoms I go through. I have not been officially diagnosed yet. Just started taking Doxycycline 400mg daily about 10 days ago. There is a point under my left armpit where if it starts to get sore or irritated it sets off nerve hypersensitivity and the underlying muscle buzzing or twitching. Sometimes you can see it but most of the time not, I can just feel it. It is usually in my arms and other times in my jaw and legs as well. I have trouble sleeping when this is going on and it sometimes lasts for weeks or goes away for a few days altogether. Again, still no official diagnosis. God is with everyone here and I pray he blesses you with good doctors and healing.
Posts: 21 | From Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. Thanks for posting your concerns. As you can see you are not the only one. I have had muscle twitching for 15 years. All over, in all of the areas you say and more. The symptoms wax and wane, but until now have never completely gone away. Most of the time they are not visible and one gets used to it. In Dec. 2009 my neuro symptoms became much worse, along with the twitching, which is most uncomfortable in the face and neck. I have seen numerous neurologist but all say I am "fine". Anti-seizure medication hasn't worked. I am now taking vitamin B and magnesium supplements.I am also taking paxil for anxiety (this horrible symptom started in December 2009) and flexeril (muscle relaxant), as well as Doxycylcene. Since December 2009 I have improved and symptoms
are manageable. I have an appointment with an LLMD on March 1st. Good luck and stay positive!
You are on an excellent discussion group that has many knowledgeable and caring people!

Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
learning721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23798

Thank you for posting- it's nice to know i'm not alone in this
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can order magnesium citrate from herbalcom.com for a little more than $8 a pound. I believe one teaspoon is about 3 grams, so you can mix a quarter teaspoon into a glass of milk and the pound will last forever. This is chelated magnesium so it is not dumped into your system like the cheap magnesium oxide is - which you can buy from a horse feed store in 50 pound sacks for about $25.
To think how much money they are making on those little magnesium pills!!!

I had the same twitches etc and after awhile they went away except for my once a month herx. But the muscle spasms and twitches can also be caused by bartonella. Since starting bart treatment I very seldom have them.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement