LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » After Levaquin- increasing pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: After Levaquin- increasing pain
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 13 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After having taken Levaquin for 4 weeks, I had to stop 1 week ago due to sideeffects.
Since then, increasing tendon- and jointpain started so it's hard walk.

I wonder, if there are there any measures I should initiate right now?

Who had the same experience and what helped?

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

[ 02-02-2010, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: kadee ]

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
support for ligaments: glucoasamine, vit c
copper, B6,(add iron only if you know you are low as don't want to encourage biofilms or bacteria) also vitamin d if living in temperate zone eg most of United States continental regions may need 2-3000 units
for men or 3-4000 for women. Magnesium
if neuropathic component to the pain eg sharp,
stabbing, tingling or numb I use mag oxide 250 mg
1 tab 2-3 times per day.
others use mag lactate etc
Avoid heavy or sudden load on affected joints
and tendons. While tendons rebuild collagen
gentler activity like walking on flat surface
may help increase circulation to affected areas.

By the way if a person takes a statin medication
that could make this problem worse or more likely.

Hope this problem is brief for you.

Beachinit.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kadee, I did Levaquin for 4 weeks as well and had to stop because of tendon issues. I still get pain once and a while and I stopped 3 mos. ago so it may take time.

I was worried about my calves. I had to rule out DVT. I'm fairly certain it's the lingering effect of the Levaquin.

Hang in there. Support with nutrients as stated.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a TON of pain on levaquin. I disagree with a lot of folks who say stop it. You have lyme in your tendons, and joints so the pain could be die off.

When I say severe pain , I mean 9 out of 10. But after a few months, I stopped and was fine. no tendon issues. Just run it by your doc and see what they have to say.

also increasing your mag may help.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend that you MUST be on high levels of magnesium 2 weeks before (outdated since you're on it now, I realize) and throughout Levaquin therapy. I got tendinitis and was on crutches for 3 weeks the first time I used Levaquin.

My LLMD says that he had a lot of success when people ramped up (to bowel tolerance) on their magnesium intake before and during treatment with it.

The second and third time I did doses of Levaquin with way up'd magnesium, I had NO pain at all in my tendons and did not do any damage to them.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr.Dave
Member # 24210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr.Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Kadee,

You have probably been what is called "floxed" by the community of people who have been injured by Flouroquinilone ABX. I am still recovering form Cipro and Avelox and am also dealing with Lyme. I can no longer take ABX presently and may not for years to come. 100's of people are being injured by these drugs daily around the world and there are forums for these people...many people do recover from these in months to years. There is a website that is kind of scary but anyone taking ABX should be aware of this family of drugs and it's adverse reactions. I wish you well . there are very few things that have helped people except time. I hope that you had a mild reaction and be very careful physically. If you read the website look toward the bottom of the home page for the Flox Report very informative. Do not take any more FLouroquinilone drugs. Your doctor will probably know nothing of these reactions and will say thats impossible. Good Luck to you. The website is www.fqresearch.org .MD's on this website have been injured by these also.

BTW I am not a MD and this info is based on my experience and the experience of others. Also if you read Dr. Mercola look up on his site Antibiotics to avoid like the plague.
Sincerely, Dave

Posts: 41 | From Pa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard that one needs to ramp up on Magnesium BEFORE taking Levaquin but not to take it while on Levaquin. I don't know if there is any truth to this. This is my next medicine that I am supposed to take. I am scared to death to take it.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everybody for answering.
Lots of useful hints. I had actually loaded up whith magnesium before - the bad reactions started only after the 4 weeks.

It seems, now I cannot do much, except hoping that it doesn't get much worse.
Here i found lots of information and it is NOT encouraging. [Frown]

I had not taken Levaquin if had known this much about the possible long lasting poisoning before.
This means definitely playing Russian Roulette.

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can some of these meds be so taxing that our adrenals give way... which can cause ALL SORTS of joint pain in lower back, hips, and knees.

I notice when i go on any sort of taxing abx protocol I fatigue my adrenals.

And I know this because it knocks my sleep schedule off and I become very VERY sore and have joint pain.

But this happened with humaworm (not levaquin). Humaworm is very strong and can be taxing on the system.

I was prepared for it and able to get through first few days.

Just curious if all this joint pain, etc is directly caused by abx or is a side effect of the body sort of shutting down.

Hust wonderin

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had worked my way up from 125 mg to 250 mg.
More was not possible so far. On the last day I started with 500 mg and had severe reaction that night.

Stopped taking it and since then the pains in tendons and joints started, numbness in limbs, dry mouth, new kind of floaters in the eyes, light sensitivity.

All this seem to be typical signs of chinolone-intoxication as I found out. So far the symptoms are getting more and worse each day and I'm getting really scared, what comes up next.

B4LYME
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B4LYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to consider getting some magnesium shots to boost your levels.
Posts: 144 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got plantar fasciitis, inflammation in the heel, after taking levaquin and took MG chelate amino acid, Soloray brand. They carry it at Whole Foods. It took the edge off the pain.

I am now on an intense detox program, gall bladder, kidneys, urinary tract, and parasites. This seems to have finished the job as far as my heel pain; it is pretty much gone now.

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had really bad tendonitis - could not use my arm at all for over a month because of the pain in my rotator cuff. It was not a herx and not related to lyme. I felt the tendon snap like a rubber band.

Afterward I had aching at night for 8 months. I had to sleep literally sitting up. It is thought that levaquin reduces the blood flow to the tendons which is what causes the damage. Maybe lying down reduced blood flow too. I don't know but I was miserable.

Finally I tried a joint supplement that I had gotten called Rapid Response. The first night the aching was gone. I took it for a month and afterward made sure I had a lot of mineral support. I am ok now. RR is very pricey. I bought some for one of my horses too and it helped him. I just ordered more for another horse that is nearly crippled with pain. I just can't afford it. I am not connected to the company in any way but it is really good for pain.
Another supplement seemed to help. It has a lot of magnesium, vitamin B1, B5, B9, niacin, folic acid but especially B12 (which really helps heal the joints), vitamin D3 and L Lysine and Methionine which are both very healing.

I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Thanks for all your helpful advices.
Good to hear that many of you got better. [Smile]

After getting worse each day, finally there seems to be a turn (hopefully).
The tendon pain crept to a new part of my body every day, today it were my wrists. Really strange.

The overall pain is lessening now and I feel not more so knocked down. I wonder, what shows up tomorrow.

Neffer, what ingredients does "Rapid Response" have?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement