LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Odd symptoms, numbness, fast heartbeat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Odd symptoms, numbness, fast heartbeat
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been off my antibiotic for around 3 weeks now, and I have noticed a couple of really odd symptoms that are beginning to worry me.

Besides feeling like I have the flu all the time, being short of breath, and having aches in joints that normally don't bother me, it feels like my circulation in my arms/legs isn't so great. My hands and feet get cold, and a couple of my fingers and toes can get a little numb feeling.

I've had that same feeling before, around 1-2 years ago, and was checked out by a neurologist -- which was a complete waste of time.

But that same numbness problem has not occurred since I started treatment, so am wondering if it is a Lyme/co-infection type of symptom? Does Lyme effect circulation in any way?

I've also become aware that I have this overwhelming need to sit or lie down... a lot. And I get this sort of anxious feeling, where it feels like my pulse is fast, but when sitting, my pulse is normal, around 75-80. However, as soon as I stand up, it goes to 100-115+. I also get a 'jumpy' feeling on the left side of my neck occasionally, and I feel all shakey inside... that typical vibrating feeling Lyme people tend to get. But it seems much worse now.

Which of those symptoms are Lyme or tick related, and which could be from something else going on? I'm a bit concerned it could be heart related, but I guess Lyme can affect the heart too...

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like babesia to me, but who knows? It could be also lyme as it causes numbness to many many people (myself included).

Cold legs and hands: another typical symptom. Many people get that too. I think more people have the symptom than people that don't have it (I mean, people with lyme disease).

Heart problems: probably just lyme again. Heart issues are one of the MAIN complains of most lyme sufferers. Irregular heart beats, pain in the chest, etc.

Just do more reading in the forum, (older posts) you'll often see the symptoms you describe.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the response. I knew a couple of those symptoms could be Lyme related, but just not sure which are Lyme or not.

The standing/high pulse thing I find worrisome. One problem is the fact that it probably has been an ongoing problem and I simply wasn't aware of it -- as for the past year or two, I tend to find myself sitting down a lot during the day. I obviously have to stand and move and do normal things too, but I just mean I probably find myself wanting to sit an inordinate amount of time compared to normal people. And whenever I stand still for a while, such as taking a shower, I sometimes get really tired, which I've always found bizarre.

Secondly, I also have cardiomyopathy, so high pulse rate + cardiomyopathy = bad. I have to take a beta blocker to lower my pulse rate. Although paradoxically, I think that can also cause a rise in standing pulse, if my BP is too low.

And my shortness of breath I didn't expect to get this much worse, since I was taking Omnicef, which should hit Lyme only. If I have Babesia, why would it get worse by dropping Omnicef? Unless when Lyme gets worse, so does the immune system, so co-infections may come out and play too?

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another possibility is adrenal function. You may need some sort of adrenal support. Your doc could order a cortisol saliva test or you could try some adaptogen herbs or other supplements. There are many posts on adrenal function if you do a search.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fast heartbeat when standing is POTS-postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. I had it when I first got lyme. Drinking a lot, stay hydrated; and if allowed take salt. It can also affect other symptoms-and cause that shakey feeling.

My heartrate would rise from standing, and my blood pressure would drop-not fun. It's gone now. Supporting the adrenals can also help.

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Yeah, I was thinking it could be POTS based off of symptoms. Is this typically from Lyme or could it be from other co-infections?

And how long did your treatment take for it to get better? I'm hoping my doc puts me back on an antibiotic next week, and maybe the symptoms will improve at least a little bit.

I suspect salt is a no-no for me, as that is to raise BP, isn't it?

Interesting that salt is used though, as could that be one of the reasons the vit C + salt protocol may seem to work for some people? If it helped alleviate tachycardia induced by Lyme, it would seemingly improve some of their symptoms, dizziness, fatigue, etc.

I had my adrenals tested in the past (like a year ago) and they came back fine. Guess they could be worth rechecking though.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure could be babesia. Lyme and babesia can cause heart symptoms. I think babs is the culprit for tachycardia.

Be very careful about something like salt/C.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My POTS, I believe came from babs. It took a good year to go away..it kept getting better a little bit by bit-till I could walk 3-4 miles or exercise for an hour-no problem.
It was very scary -Initially, I couldn't walk more than 10 feet without feeling like I was going to pass out

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you, beth!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Is there such a thing as occasional POTS?

I guess I should get a heart monitor thingy to measure my pulse all the time, as a test, but it feels like it's mostly a problem when I'm feeling extra sickly. Which sadly, seems like most of the time lately.

And sometimes it feels like my pulse is higher when I stand still, than when I walk and move around, which seems odd.

I've passed out twice during the past two years. Once was when in a store, bending over, then after standing up feeling all... weird. Tried to make it back to the car, but didn't quite make it all the way. Second time was while on Bactrim. But one thing in common both times was that I was having a lot of fatigue/sickly symptoms too.

Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happens to me also. It has had me pretty worried as I don't know what to do.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement