LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Facial Stiffness from antibiotics and supplements

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Facial Stiffness from antibiotics and supplements
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysteryGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe facial stiffness when I take antibiotics and supplements. I thought that maybe it could be an allergic reaction, but I'm not sure because my face becomes stiff no matter what I take.

What would cause this?

--------------------
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."

www.myspace.com/lymediseaseawareness

Posts: 514 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysteryGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump

--------------------

Posts: 514 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperspeck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pepperspeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a couple of meds that do this to me. It feels like my muscles are not working right. When I look in the mirror, I do not see a delayed response. I just had this happen a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty bad. I too was thinking allergic reaction. But it does not improve it I take an allergy pill.

I have it on my list to mention to my dr. Have you gotten any other thoughts on what it could be?

--------------------
I found my original identity! It has been a bit over 12 years...can't blame me for forgetting my password, right?!!

Member red (Member # 1886)
70 posts

Posts: 164 | From NJ | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

I'm really not sure. Maybe it's that it's stirring up the Borrelia and causing a herx, but I really don't know. It's not even that some meds and supplements cause this reaction. It happens no matter what I take. I was thinking of going to an allergist and then a neurologist if the allergist doesn't find anything. I don't know what this is.

--------------------

MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Anyone?

--------------------

MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

bump

--------------------

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that comes to mind is that this could be a mild form of bells palsy.

I had mild bilateral bells palsy while I had undiagnosed lyme disease. It felt like gravity was pulling my face down all the time. That might be the sensation of stiffness you are talking about.

Most people did not notice the change in my face. It was not severe enough. It didn't pull down my eyes, for example.

I thought I was just going to have to get a face lift, I looked like I was scowling all the time.

So, that is the best I can do.

I had this bells palsy (from the word "paralysis") for 3 1/2 years and then it just went away on its own. This was before I ever was diagnosed with lyme.

So, it can come and go willy nilly. It may seem like it is coming along with meds and supps, but maybe that is just coincidence. Or, perhaps any med does cause the bells palsy to act up.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same idea as TF.
Or another form of muscle disease?

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Thanks [Smile]

--------------------

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm not sure it's the same but one side of my face always feels funny. i cna't explain it, but my eye feels, well, different.

sorry but i really can't articulate it, but i know what you mean.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Oooh. Is that feeling for you made worse when you take medicine or supplements?

--------------------

VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happens to me when I am herxing. Also happened prior to being diagnosed. Always felt tight muscles in my face... like they were really tired and my eyelid drooped (droops) just a tiny bit.

Lately, infrared sauna has been helping with this. Not sure how long you've been on abx, or what you are doing to detox, but maybe look into more detox methods to help clear out toxins.

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mild facial paralysis was one of my early lyme symptoms. I could not make my usual facial expressions, esp. with my forehead because it felt like I had a raw steak plastered over it. The corners of my mouth would sometimes go slack (not to where someone could see it) and saliva would leak out (that they would see if people were around).

I believe it is due to inflammation of a cranial nerve. This resolved with treatment - *with* antibiotics, and now is back to a very slight degree since I've been off abx for a year.

Best of luck in getting past this symptom that is obviously troubling for you.

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi 44 - Would be easier to give you suggestions if you listed your abx and supps so all could recognize any known interactions. Bell's Palsy is a good possiblity, but you could also be allergic to your supps. More than one LLMD (esp. Dr. K.) has said that most patients are allergic to well over half the supplements they take.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condition of teeth and jawbone affected by teeth and toxic metals have a lot to do with what you are describing. I had all of it, including Bell's Palsy. Toxic metals play a large role where Lyme tends to settle.

Consider reading some of my old posts.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kastroo
Member # 22825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kastroo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this twice...once last summer before treatment...i was drinking like crazy to keep "bartonella deamons" an pain away...went away after 2 weeks...

second time a month ago during protocols...i went through Lymenet and found that someone took Mucinex for it and also for headaches...I tried and it went away [Smile]

Posts: 67 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Thanks, everyone [Smile]

I've had Chronic Lyme and Bartonella for the past 11 years and began treatment 3 years ago, but right now I'm not taking a single medicine or supplement because every single thing I took caused increased stiffness.

Could this be caused by a hormonal imbalance?

--------------------

migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with some others here that it is a die-off/herx reaction.

Prior to treatment I had left side facial palsy and during treatment, whenever I am experiencing heavy die-off sickness, my skin on my face and forehead feel very stiff. It loosens up as I start to feel better again.

Definitely herx/die-off reaction for me.

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

--------------------

MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

bump

--------------------

MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

bump

--------------------

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My face drives me crazy. It is definitely worse when herxing. The muscles twitch, contort, my mouth tightens, my lips and teeth tremble. I grind my teeth incessantly. All this gets worse as I tire.

Cranial sacral massage is the best thing I have found to help. I do some massage of my neck and jaw by myself as I was shown.

I also get my husband to hold my head in his hands just a few inches above the bed....for about 5 minutes. He said he can feel it pulsing and then the pulsing slows down as I relax. We learned this from my speech therapist.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this from time to time. Almost always happens when I over do it and get really fatigued. Feels like my face is being pulled down, mostly around my mouth.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure if/which med could cause this. I do have jaw stiffness and facial stiffness from lyme and co's though.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement