LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » @Babesia - People, How does your skin look like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: @Babesia - People, How does your skin look like?
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi folks,

this is for the babesia people here.. im in treatment now for 12 months constantly and my pale/grey skin wont go away. its looking dirty... i have some symptoms which i relate to babesia:

- weight loss
- anorexia
- sweating
- often tired
- dark eye circles
- dirty skin color
- brain fog

so far i improved on one side.. but on the other side there are symptoms which didnt impoved much (like my skin color since i am sick).

what about your skin? did u have a skincolorchange when u got sick with babesia?
which treatment helped the most??

actually i was 4 mos on bactrim and artemisin (and other stuff stick with it) because of babs, but there wasnt THAT improvement.. babs results were neg.
my liver is ok i am checked every 4 weeks by my doc.

greetz

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have weight loss, fatigue, dark circles under my eyes, and brain fog with LD. I also use to have a grayish looking color to my skin.

The sweating does sound more like babs, but you can have it with other TBI or hormones.

As far as skin, I have lots of weird skin issues with LD. Brownish spots, places that look like broken blood vessels, spots that look like faded out bullseye rashes, pimple like bumps, etc.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There appear to be many reasons for grey skin. Further testing seems to be warranted. Not everything is lyme - or a tick-borne infection.

First, the health of the liver and kidneys can offer some clues.

Celiac -- but the malabsorption of nutrients is listed as one cause (#8. Whipple's)

I think you should be assessed for celiac. Most LLMDs have their patients on gluten-free diets, anyway as lyme really messes up the stomach's ability to digest food, etc.

=======================

http://www.healthline.com/symptomsearch?addterm=Grey%20Skin

Nine possible causes for Grey skin include:

1. Cardiac tamponade is the compression of the heart that occurs when blood or fluid builds up in the space between . . . .

2. Leishmaniasis is a parasitic disease spread by the bite of the sandfly. [poster's interjection: if one parasitic infection can cause this, it would seem that others might, too. And you should probably be assessed for Leishmaniasis.]

. . .

6. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is one of the most common lung diseases. It makes it difficult

7. Emphysema is a chronic respiratory disease where there is over-inflation of the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs . . . .

8. Whipple's disease is a rare condition that prevents the intestine from properly absorbing nutrients.

9. Tuberculosis

=================

Liver, kidney dysfunction? Enzyme deficiency ? Genetic condition?

Exposure to too much or the wrong kind of silver? Some home-made colloidal silver has caused this from using the wrong kind of water as the source, too.

-------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

Argyria (ISV from Greek: ἄργυρος argyros silver + -ia) is a condition caused by improper exposure to chemical forms of the element silver, silver dust, or silver compounds.[1]

The most dramatic symptom of argyria is that the skin becomes blue or bluish-grey colored. Argyria may be found as generalized argyria or local argyria.

. . .

Chronic intake of silver products can result in an accumulation of silver or silver sulfide particles in the skin. As in photography (where silver is used due to its reactivity with light), these particles in the skin darken with exposure to sunlight, resulting in a blue or gray discoloration of the skin. This condition is known as argyria.

================

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-colloidal-silver.htm

People with argyria develop blue-grey skin, usually through ingesting significant amounts of colloidal silver, but sometimes on areas that have been treated topically.

===========================

As blue can include many different hues or ranges of tone - including greys - the link below may shine some light. But, even if this is not involved, it could be something similar to explore regarding a deficient enzyme process, or possible liver or kidney condition.

-----------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methemoglobinemia

Methemoglobinemia is a disorder characterized by the presence of a higher than normal level of methemoglobin (metHb) in the blood. Methemoglobin is a form of hemoglobin that does not bind oxygen. When its concentration is elevated in red blood cells, tissue hypoxia can occur.

. . . Methemoglobinemia can also be acquired.[1]

The protective enzyme systems normally present in red blood cells maintain methemoglobin levels at less than one percent of the total hemoglobin in healthy people.

Exposure to exogenous oxidizing drugs and their metabolites (such as benzocaine, dapsone and nitrates) may accelerate the rate of formation of methemoglobin up to one-thousandfold, overwhelming the protective enzyme systems and acutely increasing methemoglobin levels.

Other classical drug causes of methemoglobinaemia include antibiotics (trimethoprim, sulphonamides and dapsone[2]), local anaesthetics (especially articaine and prilocaine[3]), and others such as aniline dyes, metoclopramide, chlorates and bromates. Ingestion of compounds containing nitrates (such as the patina chemical bismuth nitrate) can also cause methemoglobinemia. . . .

[Kentucy] Blue Fugates (family) . . .

. . . The 'blue men of Lurgan' were a pair of Lurgan men suffering from what was described as 'familial idiopathic methaemoglobinaemia' who were treated by Dr. James Deeny in 1942.

Deeny, who would later become the Chief Medical Officer of the Republic of Ireland, prescribed a course of ascorbic acid and sodium bicarbonate.

In case one, by the eighth day of treatment there was a marked change in appearance and by the twelfth day of treatment the patient's complexion was normal. In case two, the patient's complexion reached normality over a month-long duration of treatment.[8]

==============

Above are just a few results of a basic search. Much more research needs to be done. Apparently, there are many things to consider.

Porphyria could be another thing to consider. There are over 11 different kinds. Many lyme patients can have an acquired sort of secondary porphyria. I'll be back later with a set of links about that. In the meantime, do a cross-reference at Google and PubMed:

porphyria "grey skin"

porphyria "gray skin"
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some more babesia people?

@sutherngirl i have exactly the same symptoms, was your babs test negative?

i would like to start malarone soon... are 2 tablets/day+ artemisin 4 days on 400-600mg enough ???

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel, I'm gonna have to check back with my LLMD on my babesia test. I was only put on Malarone for 2 months. Not sure what my babesia test revealed. Back then, doc said I might have a partial immunity to babs and I have no idea what that means. Will ask next month at next appt.

I think since my asthma has been so severe that it makes my color not that good; or maybe I have COPD. I have been considering that as a possibility. Or maybe its just the lyme is making my asthma worse.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ott70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ott70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if it's the babesia, but my skin has been horribly sensitive since acquiring all of this crud.

A couple of examples. One, I climbed a tree to saw off a couple of branches and the bark scratched through my t-shirt. A couple of hours later, it looked like someone gave me thirty lashes.

Second, I had numerous EKG's and the patches for the leads always leave raised welts that take weeks to heal.

Blemishes, such as pimples, take longer to heal now also. And my eyes go red when I'm flaring.

Posts: 194 | From Colorado | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey skin can be caused by folic acid (Fols�ure) deficiency.

Are you taking enough Fols�ure in pill form, or are you taking any drug that destroys folic acid?

If you are anorexic, maybe you aren't eating enough fresh fruit and vegetables?

----Polly Polygonum
------or Nilufar Knotweed

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sweating is very specific for Babesia, especially if it is particularly excessive. I for one sweat a lot, even when just sitting around. The weight loss is also linked to Babesia. Most people with just Lyme actually gain weight.

Babesia kills red blood cells and often causes anemia, a decrease in the total number of red blood cells. The decrease in red blood cells forces your body to draw blood away from less important organs in order to supply your brain and heart with enough blood. Less blood goes to your skin and thus anemic people have pallid skin.

I suggest you exercise (anaerobic) and increase your intake of iron. Exercise requires oxygen and therefore your body produces more red blood cells to supply more oxygen to various cells. Iron is necessary for hemoglobin to transport oxygen to other cells and therefore too little iron means red blood cells can't do their job properly.

--------------------
Bart and Babesia seropositive
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iron tablets give some people problems. I suggest you go with iron-rich foods. Seaweed is very high in iron and can be used to treat anemia. You probably aren't very hungry, but I suggest you eat plenty of leafy green veggies and some meat each day.

--------------------
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel soundss like your adrenal glands aren't putting out enough cortisol. You need to see an endocrinologist and get your adrenals checked. A cortisol and ACTH level. Do a search on pictures of Addison's disease. You get that dirty skin look.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Good call zil. Not enough cortisol also helps explain the weight loss, lack of appetite, sweating, and fatigue. If your skin is a darker gray color then not enough cortisol is likely. I assumed that your skin was pale which made me think of anemia from Babesia. You should get a cortisol test done. I got one done and found that my cortisol levels were quite low. I am on microdoses of Hydrocortisone 3x/day to correct it.

--------------------

daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

hey there,

thx for all your response. i was completely checked 1 year ago.. i was in the neurology, endocrinology etc...
my llmd check my blood parameters every 4-6 weeks. i will talk to her, to check some hormones too.. im sure she will do it [Smile]

here is a picture of myself... i have to say, that i always was more brown than normal "white" people. my girlfriend (also on the picture) has a very pale skin. but i think you can see on the picture what i mean with "dirty" skin color...
 -

greetz

Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

I think it could be low cortisol levels. There's certainly no harm in getting the test done. Talk to your LLMD about it. I'm sure she will have some potential causes that can be tested for.

--------------------

daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

up 4 mo
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

up... cortisol etc is ok.. liver is ok.. bloodwork ok...

yesterday i asked my mates because they saw my first "panic attack".. they said that i looked like homer simpson... i was really yellow... i think it was a kind of haemolytic anemia .... but i would be more sure about the babesia thing if anyone else here have the same symptoms with the skin color

greetz

been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel,

My skin looks normal, but I have "Cherry Angiomas" on my chest, shoulders and now neck. They look like small red moles.

My dermatologist said they are harmless, but I feel like they are somehow connected to being infected.

Do you have any of those small red moles?

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the skin symptoms you guys are describing are typical of bartonella. Small red spots that look like blood blisters on the torso, and brown spots are two very typical.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

i have the small red dots, here is the threat with pix

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/97415?#000032

@nefferdun

i learned here, that there are 2 kinds of small red dots.. one which dont fade when u push on them, this should be babesia, and one which fade and hurt, this should be bartonella

blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the grey skin. It could be babesia in the way others describe, killing the red blood cells. Mine improved greatly with treatments of all kinds but one that did a lot of good was antimalarials, which may also work on babesia.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm leaning towards Bart...

Do NOT start aerobic exercise! WARNING>>>

Only light to moderate weightlifting....this helps strengthen bone marrow which produces your....healthy blodd

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another condition that I can think of to cause dirty skin is hemochromotosis. That's too much iron in your blood. Ask your Dr. to check your ferritin level. Ferritin is stored iron.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

hey,

because of all responses and all i have read, i think its bug-related. all bloodwork is fine, ferritin, liver, all parameters are fine. i think that barts or babesia can cause that symptom, especially the babesia because it infects the red blood cells.. that means that there is maybe too less oxygen in the blood which make look your skin pale.

daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

hey,

because of all responses and all i have read, i think its bug-related. all bloodwork is fine, ferritin, liver, all parameters are fine. i think that barts or babesia can cause that symptom, especially the babesia because it infects the red blood cells.. that means that there is maybe too less oxygen in the blood which make look your skin pale.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement