LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why symptoms worse in the morning?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why symptoms worse in the morning?
lyme in Putnam
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if any or how many have their symptoms worse in the morning. Why after a rest would they be even worse? Even if I take an hour sleep during the day I wake up even feeling more confused. My worst symptom is depersonalization. Any others have symptoms worse when they wake up (in the am or after a nap?) Thanks. [confused]

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALways been the WORST in the AM for the last Decade.

I never could figure it out either.

I call it the boogie man who comes to get me.

I have tried to sleep sitting up etc.. I just wish I knew the answer.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same problem...

I'm most productive at night. In some ways, I dread going to sleep because of the way I feel when I wake up.

I used to attribute it to my sinuses...but I don't really think that's the problem anymore.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking it's that our adrenals are out of whack.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinky1356
Member # 25304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinky1356     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a rash and it usually comes out during the night and greets me when I wake up.
Posts: 25 | From AL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I basically can sleep now until 5am and then the anxiety sets in. I wake up seriously anxious each morning. At bed time I am not anxious. It makes one never want to go to sleep.

Don't know why. I think adrenals do factor into it.

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through that for a while. Anxious when I went to sleep, and didn't want to go to sleep. I take klonopin or xanax 1/2 every day so I'm not anxious, just feel disconnected from all.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, interesting.

now take me, the complete opposite. as soon as 5 or so comes around, i start going crazy.

anything from panic attacks, to extremely high bp to nerves, anything.

night is the worst for me.

morning is good because i stay awake most of the night and only when it's dawn do i get to sleep.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello lyme in Putnam....

Yes yes and yes. I wake up 2x in a 24 hour period because i have to nap. Both times that i wake up i feel out of it for hours.

Have learned to just be gentle with myself and not have any obligations whatsoever at those times of awakening.

Going slowly, getting some fresh air.....something to sip slowly....often a cold pack on my head. I use corn bags and keep them in a plastic bag in the freezer...i'm usually burning up when i wake up. Really allowing myself to go slowly is most important.

Haven't figured out what this is about.

Peace and ease,
riverspirit

Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking that for me it could be not getting deep enough sleep, so I don't wake refreshed.

Or also, some kind of apnea (along the same lines), so you aren't getting enough oxygen while sleeping, which I can imagine would make you feel horrible once you wake up.

These are just my guesses. I've never had a sleep study done. Mornings are def. my worst.

Thoughts?

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmurfyMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmurfyMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mornings are by far the worst for me, too, thoug morning for me generally comes between noon-2pm.

Just being still for long periods, though, also makes a difference. I know without taking the 2 aleve I do every morning I would be non-functional the rest of the day.

I think it might be inflammation of some kind that #1 gets better w/ anti-inflammatorys and #2 gets better when I start moving around, loosening everything up and getting blood flowing better so the inflammation can be cleared quicker.

Otherwise I'm clueless. I just know that I can't function at all before 10am, and for about 1.5-2hr after I wake up...whatever time it is.

Posts: 155 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mornings are definitely bad for me. And depending how bad my day was and how much stuff I had to do nights can be pretty bad too. The morning is the best time for me not to become confused though. I get more confused and foggy as it gets later.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nights are worse for me as well. I did a cortisol test and it showed lower than normal cortisol in the evening. By morning it was in the normal range.
Maybe your levels are the opposite with low cortisol in the AM and normal in the PM?

Also, some days I am extra tired at night, and I feel like I am going to go crazy, so before I do anything insane (;>)), I just go to bed. Immediately.
I read something about "madman" syndrome relating to Lyme, and that is shows itself when one is especially fatigued or stressed at the end of the day.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read something like that as well. About being more irritable and angry at the end of the day. That's me...I get so frustrated with people by like 4pm.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmcmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmcmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked my LLMD same thing bc mornings are def the worst (and after I exert myself for any reason of course). But mostly, pain is terrible in morning.

I feel same as others about dreading sleep bc I do not want to wake up! My LLMD said if sleep quality is poor that will def contribute to it. the irony in that kills me.

So, I take melatonin a few hours before bed and small dose trazadone which acts like a muscle relaxer

and helps me fall asleep as well stay asleep when I wake up in middle of night.

Sleep aids hit me pretty hard, so I take as small as dose as possible otherwise, I am more of a zombie.

Posts: 104 | From No. VA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmcmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmcmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
correction: not "stay asleep" but go back to sleep when I wake up which inevitably happens.
Posts: 104 | From No. VA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mornings are not the best for me either. The aches and pains I wake up with ease up a bit as the morning goes on.

It sure would be nice to wake up feeling good for a change.

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that I'm in the middle. I wake up with a lot of stiffness, tingling, and buzzing. So in that sense mornings are bad.

But after I get moving around, the symptoms subside and I have my best energy and mental clarity mid morning.

Often by afternoon either fatigue or head pressure set in, starting a steady decline.

By evening, I'm exhausted and often need to go to bed right after dinner.

Earlier in treatment I had issues with anxiety, but they have subsided. I also sleep well now, while before I used to get up every couple of hours.

I work full time now, which is why I think I'm too tired to do much in the evening, but it's overall a big improvement for me and I'm slowly getting better and able to do more.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asummers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asummers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was explained to me that the reason we feel awful in the mornings are b/c we have been laying horizontal all night and that our immune systems/detox abilities have been turned off.

It has been suggested to me to try 'inclined bed therapy.' I personally have not tried this yet, BUT 3 other lymies that I know do this with their beds and SWEAR that it works.

The link I provided explains the benefits of IBT

http://www.heal-me.com.au/ibt.html

Posts: 379 | From Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD also told me that feeling worse in the AM indicates toxicity rather than bug activity. This is because the liver has been working hard to cleanse overnight.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what do we do to feel better in the morning? My family knows never to expect anything at all from me before 1 or 2 pm. I HATE waking up!!!

It's like having a hangover with no party to remember! Today I am up before noon, a new first for me.

I do think that having my thyroid compounded by my LLMD has been helpful....I do better on the natural stuff.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Detox (GB and Liver) is strongest at midnight until 3-4 AM. Then colon, etc. Thick blood.
I tried to solve it by taking Rechtsregulat before going to bed keeping blood thin and things flowing. If you keep awakening during these early morning hours, it may tell you that you liver support is insufficient.

Detoxification is strongest during the night; but it can't find its way out very readily. If kidney is impaired too, if colon is sluggish, it makes things worse -- at least until you are able to eliminate early in the morning.

Some day you will bounce out of bed again - be patient.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inflammation blows! I feel like the Tin Man when I wake-up. I think fluids collect overnight in the already inflamed joint areas and create the stiffness.

Fun times.

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
In addition to the infection/inflammation/cytokine battles and resultant toxicity stress issues - adrenal dysfunction (common with lyme) affects our circadian rhythm.

Also, the time we go to bed at night matters greatly. Keeping light out of our eyes after 10 or 11 pm is a huge matter of good sleep hygiene.

Mornings are worse when adrenals are toast. What can help:

==================

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes

====================

Cordyceps is recommend here:

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

========================

Great information about treatments options and support measures, including those to help adrenal/endocrine function:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

=====================

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

http://tinyurl.com/detwtt

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box' - by Dr. Sarah Myhill, MD

=======================

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

About $10. And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

====================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with CD57. If you feel worse in the morning it is probably toxicity.

My LLMD asked me if I feel better in the morning or at night. I said I feel better in the morning. He said that it's the infection that is making me ill and not the toxins.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smurfy mom, you described me perfectly!

i wanted to go to my cousin's wedding this afternoon, but when i mentioned going to my mom last week she practically laughed at me and said "are you crazy!? like you would be up to it... you can't even wake up by then!" she's right though :/

Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
biggirl58
Member # 18458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggirl58     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not new but shy--still wondering if the test results are for real but I too live in dp and dr--out of the blue. I think what Lyme in Putnam is really focused on is the mental feeling worse in the mornings. Pre-Lyme, my joints ached from being too fat and they un-kinked but the mental stuff is really bad in the mornings. I read in the menopause boards somewhere else, that those over there in dp/dr also feel worst in the mornings, It by no means goes away -just feels a bit better and at night, is much more tolerable-none of us can find out why.

I respect everyone's educated hypothesis but what really scares me is that I read -if that is the cycle--then it is not organic based but truly a mental disorder. This is from the dp/dr site, but I do not really believe it--not with 50 other symptoms and no history of a depressive or anxiety disorder. I just do not know--I defer to all of your wisdom. I can take physical pain but your mind and creativity and passion is a huge factor--excuse me for not breaking this up the way it should be. I feel all of your pain--physical and mental. I used to laugh so much. Don't get me started. Marilyn in Central NJ [confused]

Posts: 8 | From edison, nj | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My largest dose of tranquilizers is in the morning. Of course this is when people want their coffee and they think it's crazy that I need to tranquilized at 8 AM. It's too bad there aren't any businesses I know of that sell depressants in the morning instead of stimulants. Before being ill, I was the slowest person to wake up in the morning, and caffeine didn't do a damn thing. Changes were overnight.

Since being ill, my anxiety has always been high after waking in the morning, and this was before any medication.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My symptoms were always worse after a night's rest or a nap. I still don't feel the best after them.

I figured it out with the good people on the board, that the toxins build up when you are not moving. At night your body is a killing machine, so you face all those dead bacteria, etc. in the morning.

Circulation, circulation, circulation and toxin removals such as fresh lemon in the water, cups of caffeine free tea, activated charcoal, and moving around a bit will make those toxins leave your body quicker. Make sure you have a good BM in the am, too, which eliminates toxins.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement