LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and cortisone injections, anyone have adverse psychiatric symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and cortisone injections, anyone have adverse psychiatric symptoms?
Summer24
Member # 25578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I few years ago, (before I knew I had Lyme), I had 2 cortisone injections into my shoulder for excruciatingly painful sudden "bursitis" (and sudden I mean woke up with it the next day). Subsequently, I became extremely mentally unstable, where doctors believed I was exhibiting "classic" bipolar symptoms: extremely severe and debilitating anxiety, depression, rage, and a wanting to "jump out of my skin" feeling. I was actually hospitalized in a psychiatic facility for this. However, I never responded to the treatment they were giving me (lithium etc.) I did eventually become very emotionally stable and am now happy and functioning perfectly well on celexa, buspar, and trileptal. The last psychiatrist (after seeing nearly 30 idiots) saved my life and was never truly convinced I had bipolar. 5 years later, although happy and emotionally well, I developed new strange neurological symptoms as well as joint paint and more classic Lyme symptoms. After the million doctors I saw we finally found out I had Lyme (it is believed that I have had it at least 10 years). My question is, did you or anyone you know have a similiar adverse reaction to cortisone injections or steriods? Please let me know!

Posts: 24 | From MD | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomcla2175
Member # 24681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomcla2175     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same thing happened to my sister, we are now currently waiting for test results from Igenex.
She too was diagnosed with bi-polar and given lots of meds at very high doses.(seroquel,lamictal,effexor and klonopin) they worked for about 2-3 years and then quit working..Then we were told she wasn't bi-polar and she was in and out of psych hospitals while they experimented on other meds to help her nothing works...your description of how you felt is identical to what she has told us...She had breast cancer last year and received iv steroids right before every chemo treatment(16) total...she is currently on lyrica(300mg.)but, is constantly trying to get more however she can. We have had to lock them in a safe so she won't abuse them..she is also on lyrica 10mg.(dropped from 20mg.) but, these drugs to are not doing anything for her..can't wait to wean her off of them..She was already very sick (mentally) before the cancer and chemo but, the chemo made it extremely worse.. right now she is like a drug addict which is not my sister since she never had a problem with this ever she just wants something to turn her brain off and sleep..she to said she feels like she is jumping out of her skin. she has been on such high doses of all anti-anxiety,anti-depressants and bi-polar and now anti-psychotics that they no longer work for her. we have her on some natural neurotransmitters to help with the neurotransmitter depletion..but, there is so much more that needs to be done..she wants to get better she just says she does not have it in her to try..she just wants to smoke constantly and now she has high levels of toxins from the cigarettes according to her recent blood work.. i had read somewhere that steroids can cause problems if you take them and have lyme disease. if you have any more information please share it with me thank you...

Posts: 19 | From Southeast Florida | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomcla2175
Member # 24681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomcla2175     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same thing happened to my sister, we are now currently waiting for test results from Igenex.
She too was diagnosed with bi-polar and given lots of meds at very high doses.(seroquel,lamictal,effexor and klonopin) they worked for about 2-3 years and then quit working..Then we were told she wasn't bi-polar and she was in and out of psych hospitals while they experimented on other meds to help her nothing works...your description of how you felt is identical to what she has told us...She had breast cancer last year and received iv steroids right before every chemo treatment(16) total...she is currently on lyrica(300mg.)but, is constantly trying to get more however she can. We have had to lock them in a safe so she won't abuse them..she is also on lyrica 10mg.(dropped from 20mg.) but, these drugs to are not doing anything for her..can't wait to wean her off of them..She was already very sick (mentally) before the cancer and chemo but, the chemo made it extremely worse.. right now she is like a drug addict which is not my sister since she never had a problem with this ever she just wants something to turn her brain off and sleep..she to said she feels like she is jumping out of her skin. she has been on such high doses of all anti-anxiety,anti-depressants and bi-polar and now anti-psychotics that they no longer work for her. we have her on some natural neurotransmitters to help with the neurotransmitter depletion..but, there is so much more that needs to be done..she wants to get better she just says she does not have it in her to try..she just wants to smoke constantly and now she has high levels of toxins from the cigarettes according to her recent blood work.. i had read somewhere that steroids can cause problems if you take them and have lyme disease. if you have any more information please share it with me thank you...

Posts: 19 | From Southeast Florida | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomcla2175
Member # 24681

I meant 10 mg. zyprexa dropped from 20 mg. sorry
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I can't read any of the posts above, but many questions about steroids and lyme (and also how lyme affects mood) are be answered below:
-----------------

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008)

Excerpts:

P. 4:

. . . More severe illness also results from other causes of weakened defenses, such as from severe stress, immunosuppressant medications, and severe intercurrent illnesses.

This is why steroids and other immunosuppressive medications are absolutely contraindicated in Lyme. This also includes intraarticular steroids. . . .

From page 12:

. . . More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of the concurrent use of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection.

Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course.

If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants. . . .

Page 20:

. . . and absolutely no immunosuppressants, even local doses of steroids (intra-articular injections, for example). . . .

====================

http://www.lymenet.de/literatur/steroids.htm

Antibiotics and Steroids

by John Drulle, M.

Excerpt:

. . . "Steroid Disaster" is a term coined by the pioneer of Lyme Treatment . . .

Corticosteroids are immune suppressants, the last thing a Lyme patient needs is to lower immunity.

Can you imagine, your body trying hard to fight off the spirochete bacteria and suddenly and immunosuppressants is introduced, "freezing" your immune system, rendering it unable to battle, giving great advantage now to the Lyme bacteria to spread and go wherever it wants .

Corticosteroids can last in the body for months, usually around 6 months. In many bacterial infections such as LD, damage can be done.

Many Lyme patients (such as myself) triggered LD with cortisone shots, pills, inhalers, etc. I can tell you, it is a nightmare I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

It is imperative to NEVER take corticosteroid for pain if you know you have a bacterial infection.

Some bacterial infections are so severe that a shot of cortisone could kill you, although that would be unlikely with Lyme, but rule of thumb, bacterial infections and immunosuppressants do not mix!

. . .

Dr. Burrascano makes it clear in his treatment guidelines that steroid treatment is detrimental, these are excerpts from his guidelines:

"More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of the concurrent use of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection.

Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course.

If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants.

The severity of the clinical illness is directly proportional to the spirochete load, the duration of infection, and the presence of co-infections. These factors also are proportional to the intensity and duration of treatment needed for recovery.

More severe illness also results from other causes of weakened defenses, such as from severe stress, immunosuppressants medications, and severe intercurrent illnesses.

This is why steroids and other immunosuppressants medications are absolutely contraindicated in Lyme. This also includes intra-articular steroids."

An easy explanation. Your immune system are the "soldiers" of your body constantly standing by to attack any foreign invader.

When an immunosuppressant is used, it is like killing off or knocking out most of your "soldiers", now your body is open to all foreign invasion and while your immune system is knocked out, those invaders can go anywhere, your heart, liver, brain - everywhere.

=======================

http://www.thehumansideoflyme.net/

The Human Side of Lyme

Neuroborreliosis - many articles on how this brain infection affects patients

=============

http://www.thehumansideoflyme.net/viewarticle.php?aid=65&PHPSESSID=0f8403bc0cebe4d249a95555f5447f92

When to Suspect Lyme - By John D. Bleiweiss, M.D

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took three steroid shots about 8 months ago and become extremely ill. Lost 75lbs in six months. For one month I could only eat a couple of saltine crackers a day. Coughing dry heaves for over a month, nausea, lost appetite, couldn't think clear, etc.

I was so weak I could barely walk from my bed to the bathroom. Went to seven doctors and none of them could figure out what was wrong with me.

Finally we figured out it was the steroid shots. Lyme + Steroids = HELL! Never again will I allow steroids in my body. Every time I go to the doctor and they ask me what I'm allergic to, I say. STEROIDS!

Avoid them like the plaque!

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh god, this is probably the reason why I am having such a hard time getting rid of lyme.

I got a cortizone injection in my neck (I have neck arthritis). Unfortunately, this was before I knew they were really bad for lyme.

Within ONE hour, I was nauseated, cryign my eyes out, felt suicidal, then waves of anxiety.

Previous to the shot, I had arthtis issues, and some GI issues. After the shot, I developed nuerological symptoms, muscle twtiching all over, expsecially my face.

IF you can, get IV. Or bicillin shots. The steriods make the lyme spread like wildfire....

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Even without steroids, many a lyme patient has been misdiagnosed as being bipolar. It's brain infection, brain inflammation - and adrenal exhaustion, most of the time. Most mental health providers have no clue about all this but most MDs are even worse regarding their ability to look and think outside of the box.

Other than lyme, some other tick-borne infections do cause some serious mental health symptoms. Still, it goes back to brain infection, brain swelling, adrenal exhaustion - and liver toxicity, too. And, remember nutrient deficiencies. Low magnesium, alone, can cause suicidal urges and depression.

In addition to giving spirochetes a party, the steroids take the whole adrenal system on a roller-coaster ride with drops to the depths of despair. A swollen brain & a toxic liver, with burned out endocrine organs spell disaster and, often, misdiagnoses of psychiatric disorders or a lack of understanding of the causes where those may be legitimate (but also temporary).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement