LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anything to take for memory?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anything to take for memory?
littlebit27
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a supplement out there for memory? Kind of short notice, I have a final to take tomorrow. I meant to ask a week ago but completely forgot. So is there anything that works to help our memories?

I completed the final review a couple days ago and can't even remember the questions, I'm going to have a tough time remembering the answers...it's all essay questions.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Acetyl L-Carnitine and it has helped me tremendously.

I don't think it will help you for your final tomorrow, but I noticed a change in my memory after 1 week.

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I meant to ask at least a week ok but kept forgetting, how ironic. HAHA. I've been reading over it and am having a ton of trouble remembering it. I got an A on my other two finals though and most of the information just kinda flowed in so I'm praying that is what will happen.

If I pass this final I will have a 4.0 for the semester and at least a 3.4 in general. I'm sick for the first time while attending yet did better than I've ever done in school.

I will look into that for my memory though anyway. I'm forgetting all kinds of things. I left the car and house keys in the door all night long one night. My husband made me go get new locks so we could change them just incase lol.

Where would I find that? Would Walmart or a health food store carry it?

--------------------

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I would never try something new the night before a test. You just don't know how your body with do with it and, generally, the nutritional supplements take time as they nourish your body's cells to work better - not like a stimulant drug.

For your final exam tomorrow, nutrition will be your best friend.

Green Tea may be okay if you are new to it - but still, not too late in the day.

Turmeric should be fine and can help - maybe use a curry seasoning for your dinner and tomorrow's breakfast. (Do not make the mistake of eating what we think of as breakfast in America. Eat dinner food for breakfast, always.)

If you can, get some good salmon or sardines for both dinner and Breakfast - yes, sardines for breakfast.

Also eat lots of green leafy veggies like kale or chard.

Carrots. Beets. Quinoa. Coconut oil.

Take a warm bath, get good sleep tonight.

And MOZART is the best music to help our brains while studying - or to help with a calm alertness.

Good luck. Remember to stretch and breathe and drink lots of good water. Maybe a little lemon juice with stevia (never any artificial sweetener though as that makes people stupid. You won't be able to calm down enough to thing with aspartame and then it short circuits brain signals. STEVIA is a from a plant, though).

ENJOY the process. Really. It's sounds odd but it is quite possible to enjoy the last stages of brushing up for review and then putting it to paper and pen. It's quite possible to do very well.

A walk around the block after dinner may be nice, too. It's important to free your mind from your studies every 20 minutes or so for a few minutes. Do some yoga stretches, sing a song.

Oh, maybe after your breakfast - or after your lunch tomorrow (if the test is in the afternoon) . . . some 85% DARK organic chocolate with a handful of almonds. Maybe just the almonds as a mid-day snack, or an apple. The oils in the nuts will help your brain. Walnuts are best.

Other than the very little amount of sugar in the 85% Dark chocolate ( and that high number is important ) avoid sugar. Anything lower in number than 85% and it has far too much sugar and, even a little of the more sugary chocolates will tip your brain to a bad place. There is something different (and better) about the 85%.

Just one ounce of that - with nuts - should work okay for you. The nuts help carry it through and moderate the glycemic effect.

You might also brew yourself some green tea to take with you. A touch of honey in it might also work well.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Can you make yourself an audio tape and then rest while you hear yourself discuss the subject matter?

I used to use an outline from for my notes, capitalizing key words and then highlighting - as I have a bit of a photographic memory.

Whatever your memory strengths are, draw on those. But, for essay questions, you are asked to demonstrate your understanding more than spit back facts.

Do you understand the key elements or theses in the work? If so, then tell a story in your answers. Share what you know. You'll be amazed when you look at it that way. Just share your understanding of the important processes.

Quiet yourself, get really centered - before starting to write, tap into your inner resource center and the answers will come. If you've studied it, the information is in your brain. Just relax enough for the key elements to come to your attention.

The most important thing is to get a good night's sleep. Really.

Put your alarm clock across the room, not next to your bed. Be sure all other electronic items are unplugged and there is NO cell phone in your bedroom.

Now, if you are in a dorm, put your cell phone as far away from your bed as possible and do NOT let it charge while you sleep. Keep it out of the charger as that will upset the normal rhythm of your heart and your brain waves and make sleep impossible.

Be sure to avoid light in your eyes after 10 or 11 pm.

Ommmmm.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used nicorette gum at certain times when my work demanded absolute concentration. I bought the 4 mg pieces and broke those into 4 smaller pieces and chewed that amount eg 1/4 piece
2-3 times during a work day. Without it I would have had to stay home. With it I was able to work safely with enhanced cognition, and much better memory acquistion. As my doxycycline took effect I gradually improved and simply do not use the nicorette at all now. Of course if you have ever had a tobacco addiction this approach would be imprudent.

Beachinit.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For anyone already using nicotine - that's one thing.

However, for someone unfamiliar with its use - and final exam tomorrow, such experimentation can boomerang big time and you may wonder what hit you. Even a very tiny dose could have a strong trigger reaction.

As many with lyme have irregular heart rhythm, nicotine, in any form could make the heart go bonkers.

Also, as adrenal dysfunction is a big issue, nicotine can cause a rush of adrenal hormones and create a panic attack, anxiety (making it even harder to think), breathing problems and irritability.

And, as it's already hard for most lyme patients to settle down the brain's NMDA excitatory response, nicotine will likely cause the brain to feel even more wired and then get sharp drop later - but probably still interfere with good sleep.

In college, I relied on "No-doz" major caffeine pills for studying. That was a huge mistake. Huge. A short walk and good night's sleep would have been better.

================

All that said, and not suggesting this to start before your exam - or necessary at all. But, as nicotine was mentioned, there is actually a supplement with tobacco leaf that many have found helpful for lyme. I found it far too speedy for my fried adrenals but I've heard of many good reports from others who could tolerate it.
------------

http://www.hannasherbshop.com/shop/product/2446

SPK Formula� (Formerly Spiro Kete�)

Ingredients: Nettle leaf, Yerba santa, Goldenrod, Monolaurin, Tobacco leaf. Other Ingredients: Vegetarian source capsule.
-

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try chewing gum or suck on some peppermint candies during the tests. I used to do this in college, it helps improve concentration and memory.

You should also be able to get the same effect by pushing your tongue against the roof of your mouth.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought of a few other things that might also help you.

It is good to wear a couple different layers of clothing on the day of the test. You never know if the room is going to be hot or cold. If you are uncomfortable you will have a harder time trying to concentrate on the test.

For the same reason, go to the restroom before the test.

If the exam is going to take a couple hours bring a snack(like dried fruit and nuts) and some water to sip. When you start to get tired or feel confused take a couple minutes to stop and eat your snack. It will help bring your mind back.

Good luck tomorrow [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bacopa and Huperzine A are two memory herbs.

I take them.

I was not remembering things to an unusual degree, so i started taking the Bacopa pills, after which, my memory seems to be normal.

I started taking the Huperzine A after i was already on the Bacopa, so i didn't notice any difference.

Bacopa is from India. It helped ancient priests recite thousands of lines of Sanskrit poetry.

----Polly Polygonum
-----or Nilufar Knotweed

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

All very good suggestions.

I know the temp of the testing room, I've been there a lot, but that is a great point. I always pee before I leave my house and before I take the test, just in case, lol.

I will try some gum or something.

I've been studying, and writing down the important points. It seems the more I write it the better I remember it.

Well off to go take it, thanks for the suggestions!

I need help with my memory anyway, not just for the test, but in general!

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am taking something for my memory - just couldn't remember what!

After reading the posts, Acetyl L Carnitine is supposed to really boost memory and is recommended for people with dementia. Coconut oil is also supposed to help dementia - 2 TB a day. I also have huperzine. I think green tea is helpful.

With a 4.0 you can't be doing too badly. I have had nightmares about going back to school, forgetting I was in school until the end of the semester.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A high protein breakfast is a must. Eggs, bacon...the works!

If you are a vegetarian, try a protein shake.

Good luck, and knock 'm dead!

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.
(Viktor Frankl- Holocaust survivor)

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read about a supplement called Cognizin. I don't know much about it. You can look up their site.

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hope the test went well. About gum, be sure it does not contain any artificial sweetener, especially aspartame. Aspartame is toxic to the brain cells. Other artificial ingredients can also be toxic to our brain.
-

littlebit27
Member # 24477

Keebler....about the gum? Is that just for Lyme patients? I only chew sugar free gum because of my teeth, if I can't chew that I guess I won't chew any at all. Can you explain further?

I have a 4.0 for the semester, and like a 3.3 overall. It's online classes so as long as you respond to your classmates and write the papers on time you are good, the final plays a part but if you have a good grade already it doesn't matter. So up until the point of the final I haven't had to remember anything off the top of my head, I have my texts right there with me. If it was a normal college with quizzes and stuff I'm probably be in trouble.

I'm writing down everything suggested, so I can figure out which one is best and ask the doc about any possible interactions.

How do you keep up with all the meds, how do you know if there will be an interaction between a med and supplement, I'm on a lot of different pain meds, meds for muscles, meds for nerves, meds for inflammation and some of them say to tell pharmacist of any supplements you are taking. Do I need to call them everytime I want to try something new, like I have magnesium here but haven't used it because I don't know if it will cause problems. How do you know?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement