LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » if benzos help brain fog, does it mean infection or toxins

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: if benzos help brain fog, does it mean infection or toxins
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm trying to figure out if this is Lyme and co's infection or toxins?

i feel very spacey with wierd vision prosessing like i'm in a dream world,

assuming it was a toxic issue, for the past week,i have been rebounding and drinking atleast a gallon of water some with lemon a day,and epson baths every night and

i tried some csm but it seems to bring out body pain which is not my normal symptom so i switched to 6-8 charcoals every night.

i think none has helped i am still taking my meds
and sups do i need to stop every thing to detox or is this lack of improvment with all the new detox i'm doig point to infection.

the diazapan really helps the brain stuff, does that fact point to either infection or toxins

thanks for the feedback
Scott

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might be because:
-it's a drug that helps you sleep better (I might be wrong about this but other benzos do). Sleeping deeply helps us a lot.
-it's a complicated drug that does a lot of different stuff in the brain. I wouldn't be surprised it this was just one of it's effects for you, rather than a sign that it's doing something to infection. I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with detox if it's causing you improvement.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spacy feeling you describe is called de-realization. It comes w/ the Lyme terrain for a lot of us. While there is no specific reason this occurs, toxicity and/or yeast and/or infections and/or metals etc etc are thought to be the culprit so it can get dicey trying to narrow it down. Treating the above simultaneously usually has the most desirable outcome.

Benzos slow down the synapses in the brain allowing you to calm yourself and feel better overall by not feeling anxious or generally "bad" in general. You do not have to be feeling "anxious" to get benefit from a banzo.

Many w/ Lyme have overactive CNS symptoms that can really affect quality of life. Benzos can help calm these out of control CNS symptoms temporarily.

How benzos work exactly is not well known, but they are documented to help pain, anxiety, depression, muscle stiffness, and a host of other things.

They are also documented to be harmful w/ long term use and extremely addictive.

I would not put a lot of weight into you possibly feeling better on it because of "better" sleep because most benzos, and specifically diazapam (valium) induce state I & II sleep but somewhat inhibit III & IIII delta stages which would be the ones that would leave you feeling refreshed in the morning.

Either way, if the medication helps you, use it. Just be mindful of the dose and duration you use it for, and stop it when able.

Best

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops- sorry about that. I know Klonpin induces Stage 4 (which is what we need) but didn't realize that valium does the opposite.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't apologize Maria, I only recently discovered this as well... [Smile]

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several good CFS docs have their patients on some kind of benzo, too. Same reason with Lyme I suspect- to guide the CNS a bit.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott I agree with the others I think the Valium is just calming down the over active CNS.

valium and xanax have always helped with my tight muscles. and nerve pain, ..however now I wonder if the valium is the reason I dont wake up feeling refreshed after what Derek posted above...hmmm.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme987
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 1/2 a klonopin when my brain "hurts". After thinking for a long time or doing a complex problem. (I'm a math teacher) It takes the pain away. I think it has something to do with calming down the CNS.
Posts: 298 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks so much guys for the great feedback

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement