LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wakefulness in middle of the night

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wakefulness in middle of the night
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I am on abx I have wakefullness in the middle of the night. I usually get a bart hot flash around 2:30-3:30AM and then cannot go back to sleep for three hours. It is strange that it is the same event, same time and same period that I cannot get back to sleep.

I take corydallis root to go to sleep but nothing works on the middle of the night awakenings. I can either lay in bed trying to stay in a meditative space or get up and use the computer or whatever. Here I am and it is now 4:47.

Does anyone else experience this? When I quit the abx I sleep better. Someone on this board mentioned that bart multiplies during the night. I don't know why this is happening.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff,

FWIW, I have the same problem to a 'tee'. It doesn't happen every night...the bart hot flash does....the awakening does too...same time as you 2:30- a.m. like clockwork.

sometimes i am able to fall back into a restless sleep with the aid of benadryl...other times I am up and on the computer for 3-4 hr's.

I am treating Bart but had this problem when treating babesia as well......

I think it was Bea Seibert who said that Bart replicates during sleep...

feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know Bart caused "hot flashes" Thought Babs was the responsible culprit.

Where is that Bart -hot flash info?

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.healthepic.com/accupuncture/static/Acupnorgan.htm

When the liver is under stress, it shows up during these morning hours.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I don't get the hot flashes, I get exactly what you describe. Every night lately. for me I wake up close to 4 AM. Sometimes earlier. I was going to make a post about it yesterday, but didn't get to it.

I found that taking a snack and activated charcoal would put me back to sleep. I guess it's the liver as I do feel horrible when I wake up. I would like to know how to correct the problem though as it's annoying. I take plenty of stuff for my liver.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing some reading on the subject of circadian rhythms. It seems that whatever the problem is - these pathogens (Lyme, babesia, bart, etc.) effect our cellular function which effect our circadian rhythm.

These thing may also be effecting our genetics, as well. Our metabolism is connected to our circadian rhythm. If something is causing damage or dysfunction to our cells - it is probably effecting our circadian rhythm. It also connects to genetics, too. It's a pretty deep subject.

---

New Hope For Sleep Disorders: Genetic Switch For Circadian Rhythms Discovered

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071212201458.htm

"Sassone-Corsi notes that if this amino-acid modification is impaired in any way, the switching mechanism can be thrown off, which can be the genetic underpinning of circadian-rhythm-related ailments. Currently, Sassone-Corsi is testing antibodies that can target this BMAL1 amino-acid activity."

---

This article explains some of this, too -

Body Clock Regulates Metabolism, Study Shows

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090312140840.htm

I guess it's a case of chicken or egg... I think it's probably the pathogens that cause metabolic dysfunction which effects the circadian rhythm.

I'm not sure if it's specific to the pathogen or any particular organ. Many of us with Lyme, co-infections, fibromyalgia & CFS (& probably other illnesses) have sleep problems.

I also tend to get more pain around 2-4am. I usually end up having to take some Vicodin to fall asleep. It may have something to do with cellular dysfunction & it's interconnection with circadian rhythm. I don't know why this happens between 2 - 4am, though.

I don't have any hot flashes. I'm not sure if we can just pin this sort of thing on the liver & being too toxic. It may have to do with overall metabolism & cellular function...?

Just thinking out loud here.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a snack before bed. A protein snack.

High cortisol levels, that spike around 3am-4am are a sign of hypoglycemia. (and subsequently adrenal fatigue)

An hour or so before bed I always try to get something with protein or good fat (almond butter with celery, etc)

This helps regulate my blood sugar while I sleep.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I currently try what canefan17 suggests with almond butter as well. It doesn't seem to help me unfortunately, but my adrenal function is not great (started cortisol again). I do suffer from hypoglycemia dips as well (as seen in recent non-fasting labwork).

I may steal my grandmas kit (she is in the same house), and take my blood sugar when I wake up next time. For whatever reason, hypoglycemia gives me a really sick feeling as well. Perhaps that is it.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prologue - I'm losing cognitive skills, so plz just know I mean well...

In reverse order, Canefan:
imho, I believe advice in the book "Potatoes Not Prozac" (new edition out, so see latest. Available in libraries.) is better suited for good sleep. A light portion of quality carbs with NO protein is best. If you have protein & carb, you may become too invigorated and just stay up & do more! Of course there's debate on that.

That book is great for helping anyone with any type of sugar cravings or food addictions or alcohol abuse challenges. There are numerous easy-to-grasp charts with glycemic index info, etc.

Her (author's) oft-repeated urging is to keep a food journal, cause ymmv. I record all Rx meds, lots of symptoms, and about half the food I eat in a notebook.

A. Puhn's book "Midlife Miracle Diet" is fab for making it clear that we need lots of protein & veggies for breakfast & lunch. She encourages people to be "carb careful" to get into "better balance." She urges limiting carbs until after lunch. Ex: Quinoa pasta for dinner is fine, but cereal & toast & juice for breakfast is a carb overload. (I refer to this book often to keep me on track & have given it as a gift, too.)

I need to learn more about adrenal support and cortisol, so welcome more dialogue on this.

Sparkle, thanks for bringing up circadian rhythms. I stress at the thought of opening a new link today (info overload stress), but look forward to reading them soon.

Similar to Sparkle's theme, there is much info in Chinese medicine, acupuncture and feng shui about specific hours of the day correlating with specific body functions.

Gigi, THANKS for posting the link for Organ-clock theory! I've been thinking about this for a few weeks but hadn't pulled out my books yet.
Maybe you could elaborate a bit here, and/or start a new thread explore it?

I pulled 2 sentences out from Gigi's link:
"a strong or a weak organ disturbs the energetically sound relationship with the other. This causes pathological symptoms."

I believe these wee hours under discussing are "liver time" (not the technical term!).

Do circadian rhythms tie in to Lymies having symptom flares just before the full moon? Are the hoards of invading parasites surging within our lymie bods along with the chorus of life? Tied to pheremones, tides, et al? (Oh, yeah, that calls for a short answer! [Roll Eyes] )

Liked kday's idea about using activated charcoal. Would go nicely for me with a 2/3 serving of my favorite whole grain rice crackers, plain. (Not the whole bag, just a few!)

Thanks for readin' my ramble.
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smile - I agree 100% on the timing of small carbs no protein mention. Got that from my mentor, Dr. T.

And I was going to post a Chinese organ clock until I saw Gigi had posted a good link for that.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to wake up every night at 4 am. Now, on a different abx protocol, I'm up til 2, 3, or even sometimes 6 or 7 am. I'm tired but can't sleep. Had hotflashes on tetracycline and diflucan but they're mostly gone on mepron and zith.
Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading something about Ayurveda & they have different times for the organs then the Chinese. I was trying to find it but I couldn't...

I'll keep looking.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I am going through the links. Takes me awhile to digest new information. I want to understand the circadian rhythms.

Today one of my dogs had to be put to sleep. Yesterday I went to the doctor and he gave me a year's worth of ABX - said I do not need to worry about taking liver tests except maybe once a year. I think he is an idiot.

No wonder I wake up at night but it actually has nothing to do with anything happening.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I went back to sleep and then woke up about every 15 minutes to half an hour until nearly 8AM. That is a typical night. It must be the stress of the abx on my liver. I will try some liver detox and support, and drink milk before bedtime with some extra magnesium. Maybe I should try eating something when I wake up.

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Sorry about your pet, nefferdun. It probably adds to the stress level. Hope yo can get some good quality sleep soon.

I wouldn't want that many abx unless they were free. Seems that you may have to switch up your protocol & try different things so you don't build up a resistance.

I usually like to try a few first just to see if my body can deal with them. Buying a huge amount is usually a waste of money to me. Then, they make a big deal at the drugstore if you just want a few to test them out & charge you extra... Ugggh.

I can see why you would say he's an idiot.

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. K. alerted me years ago that most gallbladder emergency hospital visits happen late at night. Look up the TCM organ clock (probably hundreds of years old) http://www.healthepic.com/accupuncture/static/Acupnorgan.htm

I used to have (in my Lyme days) the worst problems around the time I was supposed to cook cinner and/or sit down for it. My major problems until I learned better were around that time in the evening. Look up the clock http://www.healthepic.com/accupuncture/static/Acupnorgan.htm

Go to bed with castor oil pack around whole body area! and leave it on. It helps. My major problems for liver toxin work was during metal detoxing.

We do our major detoxing at night. If organs start screaming, it's time to get busy with help. My most favorite one was Ayush Livit 2. I added one to every meal and that kept things under control. I have never taken milk thistle. Any good product containing chlorella helps immensely.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Thanks, I have a detox I have not used much of yet. When I took it before I got pretty sick so quit using it. Maybe this time will be better, and probably what I need anyway even if I do feel worse.

That doctor is bananas. I should have asked for every drug I could think of he was going to give me an open ended prescription like that. He also said the Fry test was a waste of money. It didn't matter what I had, just give me a bunch of abx for the rest of my life if necessary. I feel depressed - so on my own.

Good news is, I am getting excellent references of good LLMD's in other parts of the country and I now have the money so I can travel there. You are all so helpful.

--------------------

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no matter what i take for sleep or do, i wake up every night at about 2:45 or 3:00, 3:15 at the latest.

i'll lay there for a couple of hours then finally get back to sleep.

even i take a sleep aid, bam!! i wake up.

nothing seems to help.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry about your dog. Its a tough time now I'm sure. Feel better.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Thank you for the sympathy for losing my dog. In the last two months I have lost another dog, my favorite cat and my mother. The four months before that, a horse foundered, another horse poked something almost into his eye, someone dumped a horse here for me to take care until he dies (he is 24) and my other favorite cat died. It has been very hard. No wonder I feel so out of it.

It is hard to tell what is depression from the bartonella and what is just depression and grieving from life. My dog that just died was very very old and past his time but the others were young and their deaths were tragic and totally unexpected.

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Sorry, nefferdun! That's alot of loss in a short time. Take it easy. I hope time will heal your heart.
valeriedc
Member # 24950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valeriedc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many losses nefferdun! I hope you have good support around you and you're taking the time to take care of yourself and heal.

I will follow up on the clock-that looks interesting.

I'm on sleep meds, first in my life, and I'm an insomniac who had successfully been able to sleep most nights.

Without the med, I wake up every 15 minutes to 2 hours, usually 5-6+ times per night. With the med I wake between 3am and 5am and take another to get back to sleep. With too little sleep I can not detox and get so bad I have to go off the meds, build back up, etc.

My acupuncturist who had successfully treated my insomnia before I started lyme/babs treatment doesn't know what else to do, so I'm not getting treatment.

Have tried every combo of food before bed as well as meditation, prayer, getting enough exercise, etc. At this point only the med gets me the sleep I need; not a good situation.

This is really helpful thread-thanks.

Posts: 72 | From washington dc | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement