LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » General Anxiety Disorder & Lyme - which came first and what has helped

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: General Anxiety Disorder & Lyme - which came first and what has helped
Aimee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else suffer with this? I was always and anxious, type a personality before Lyme. Anxiety issues run in my family. But since I've been treating Lyme and Co, I've noticed my anxiety is through the roof.

But it's more than just anxiety - I feel like my whole CNS is on overload. I feel jittery inside, my hands shake (mildly, but noticable to me), sometimes I get lightheaded and the worry and what if's just won't stop.

I worry and assume the worst - these health issues that I've had because of TBI's don't help. Minor symptoms that my husband who is also positive for Lyme, Bart and Bab's can just let go, I worry over and fret about.

I have been taking Ativan or Klonopin as needed, but I feel like I would benefit from something that is more long term. A while back I had a really bad two weeks and was taking one in the am and one in the pm (my dosage is .5 mg)and noticed that by the end of the second week it didn't seem to have the same kick. So I stopped taking them altogether for several weeks.

Lately I've been having some bad days again and have taken an Ativan here and there but I worry (see the theme!) about becoming tolerant and needing more to sustain the calming effect. So I'm looking for some other answers to this problem!

Wondering if anyone else has treated GAD with something other than benzos. I have tried and SSRI in the past when I had anxiety and depression right around the time I first got sick but they really did a number on me and I won't go that route again - ever! So please give me some feedback on what worked for you.

I have treated Babs and Bart - the anxiety did get some better after Bart treatment and hasn't gotten any worse since I stopped the Rifampin. I am currently hitting Lyme with Ceftin, Probenecid and Biaxin.

So hard to tell - the chicken and the egg - you know? Did the lyme come first or the anxiety? Will it go away once I get into remission? Or is this just a side issue and will always be there and is just being made worse by the TBI's?

Love to hear your feedback and stories - helps to not only make me feel better knowing I'm not alone but also to sort through info and make a decision on how to proceed.

Posts: 239 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had terrible anxiety-much of it physical-with a lyme relapse. I had never suffered with this before, so I don't really know if I have GAD. Fortunately that went away with 1 month of Doxycycline and Paxil. I went off the paxil but am still on antibiotics.

Regarding benzos-I took klonopin for muscle spasms for a long time. I noticed little ill effects while on it. However, tolerance develops rapidly...and getting off can be really hard. Use benzos with caution and sparingly.

good luck!

Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My anxiety came first but the Lyme/Bart made it oh so much worse.

I take Paxil (started on it before I got sick and temporarily upped the dose when my anxiety got bad early in treatment). Paxil works great for both my anxiety and depression.

I also use Benzo's - Ativan at night to sleep and on occassion Xanax.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like you, I've always been a worrier and anxiety issues run in my family. But, I remember, almost to the hour, that my anxiety disorder started. I explored it as just that for years. Have you ever tried xanax? That really helped me. All these years later, now that I'm treating Lyme, I'm seeing real progress. I'm still in the early stages of treatment and understand I'm not out of the woods in that regard, but now really see the anxiety as caused by the lyme. I still have my old worry traits, but it's nothing like the anxiety disorder.

As an aside, a friend who has PTSD from Iraq uses valium for anxiety and finds that helpful.

Good luck.

Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My anxiety continues to improve with Bart treatment. No more panic attacks!

I say treat the disease not the symptoms. If you need a benzo every once in a while take one, but not regularly if you can avoid it.

If you still have anxiety it may be good to treat Bart some more and take some supplements to rebuild adrenals. NO CAFFEINE!

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement