LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » fever on mepron, rochephin pcp says go to hospital

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fever on mepron, rochephin pcp says go to hospital
momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can't reach llmd till morning. Took first B 12 shot yesterday. Any advice? Just started new thing. She is having trouble holding her head up. fever is 102.5
Posts: 303 | From green bay, wi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She is on Rocephin, so she has a line? Get her to the ER. She could have a line infection. My son had two; fever and fatigue were his only symptoms.

That was the biggest sign; there WERE no other symptoms to explain his illness. No sore throat, no ear infection, etc. He had a line infection both times. The second time it was bad enough he had to get IV Vancomycin.

These infections spread extremely quickly. It can't wait until morning. We were told our son could have been dead within about 48 hours.

You catch it fast, you are fine. That's the key. Getting to the ER right away.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious Tracy. I sometimes wonder if I have an infection brewing in my line.

I currently have a bad bacteria in my urine but we have not tested to see if it is in the blood.

My question is - if your line is infected will a regular blood draw show the bacteria?

I heard Dr. B. speak once and he said that the bacteria is usually adhered to the line so it may not even show in the blood.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We went to the ER and of course no one knew what to do. The doctor and nurse had both read the Milwaukee Magazine article about Lyme which was helpful.

They took three vials of blood through her line and one from her arm. We waited there till her fever dropped a bit. Then as usual we went home.

I guess the 12 hour results showed nothing unusual so we have to wait for the ten day results.

Tracy, how did they know about your son's infection? Was it from a blood test? They wanted to do a spinal tap but I refused.

I guess the best part was they they all admitted that they didn't know how to handle this nor did they think it would help to get a ID doc involved as he wouldn't understand either. Maybe this will get them thinking about educating themselves about this stuff.

Posts: 303 | From green bay, wi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It shows in your blood, your white count goes up to show infection. With Cody, they took a vial from the PICC, and from his arm that did not have the PICC in it and they compare. That there showed the infection, so they pulled the line both times.

Then they culture the tip of the PICC line. The second time it showed a staph infection, a bad one, gram negative I think it was, whatever is worse. Anyway he had to return to the ER for IV Vancomycin. It was still confined to the tip of the PICC but would have entered his bloodstream and he would have been septic within 24 hours.

I remember that day the home care nurse said "if his fever gets any higher go to the ER." I think it was over 102 then. When it hit 103 we went. When he had PICC lines, twice he got a fever with no other symptoms but fatigue and listlessness, and both times it was a line infection.

I'm so glad that is not the case with your child. I agree with refusing the spinal tap. They must have been looking for meningitis. It sounds like they did the same tests as for Cody; if nothing came back abnormal, it does not sound like a line infection luckily. Thank goodness.

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by momofthree:

I guess the best part was they they all admitted that they didn't know how to handle this nor did they think it would help to get a ID doc involved as he wouldn't understand either. Maybe this will get them thinking about educating themselves about this stuff.

That is true!! They actually showed some wisdom here!! Yea!

Glad your child is OK!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mom of three - You may also want to PM Spring showers. She also had a bad infection in her line. She may have some tips if you are still thinking it maybe an infection in the line.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

we are going back to the hospital. fever is back up and advil isn't working. I am going to make admit her until they figure this out.
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
momofthree - Just read your posts, thinking of you and sorry for all you guys are going through.
Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

We are thinking of you. This too shall pass. Please keep us posted.
Tracy9
Member # 7521

So sorry....how high is the fever? How old is she?

--------------------

littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry about what you all are going through. I hope the ER can help this time. Thoughts are with you.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug]
Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checking in for updates. Praying for a quick resolution, momofthree!!
[group hug]

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts are with you. I hope they can find out the problem. You're doing a great job of handling the situation.

It sounds like there is actually some slow sea-change occurring out there. The ER staff you mentioned responded admirably.

I hope the hospital is just as informed if not moreso.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Mom of three - do you have an update for us? How is your daughter?

I have been thinking about you.

mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcg08002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you and your daughter are doing alright!
You two will be in my prayers!

--------------------
Stephanie, University Student.

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
indexLyme AB interp. EIA [A] POSITIVE
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]
Lyme IGM WB interp. [A] [PRESENT]

Posts: 145 | From Idaho | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Thank you all for the kind thoughts. What a nightmare.

Night two we go back to the same hospital. There is a different ER doctor. After waiting 5 hours, more blood test and a chest xray, they ask to speak to my llmd. I explain we can't reach him until morning. I give them his number. (How I miss Dr. C from My Kisco.)

The new ER doctor comes in, turns her back to me and starts to lecture my daugher on the dangers of long term IV antibiotic use. She explains to her that she should get a second opinion from an ID doctor and this treatment she is on could kill her.

My daughter is 20 yrs. old. We were sent home and still had no idea what the fever was about. Early the next morning my llmd calls and he is upset. He tells me to take her to whoever put the line in and have it removed right away. The hospital had called his office apparently.

We are not in Green Bay and her PCP is here in Milwaukee so I called and she sent me to the emergency room. I told her what happened the night before and asked which one to go to. She recommended one and we went.

Super nice ER doctor and nurse. They knew about Lyme and knew she needed her line. They refused to take the line out as they were sure it was not the source of the fever. By now the fever is gone again and had been all morning.

They said they would not take it out before hearing from my llmd. Well he is quite a private guy and I finally got his number. Boy was he mad. He admonished me for not taking her back to Green Bay and having it done there.

He called the ER and told them she was done with treatment and to send me to Green Bay to have it removed. Of course I can't get that done for days because this guy is a busy man.

So, I am going back to NY for a second opinion from Dr. C. I don't want to pull the line just because my llmd is afraid for his license. I will have the line pulled if it is the right thing to do though.

All I have to say is don't get sick in Wisc. There are no doctors to back you up or hospitals that know what to do.

momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Oh, PS

Before the fever her WBC count was 5. It hadn't been that high for years. Now it is back down to 3.1.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement