LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Read a Thread About Teleconference

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Read a Thread About Teleconference
Consuelachacha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Consuelachacha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read in Medical Questions about a teleconference between 2 doctors.

There was mention and "question" about "Manganese".

I just started taking a supplement of Magnesium, 250 mg 1/day w/meal (which I'm not sure if that is even enough for Late Stage Lyme).

Anyway I wondered if Manganese and Magnesium were in the same family???

Someone posted that the spiro's "feed" on the Manganese I believe.

Should I continue the Magnesium? I have not received FULL treatment for my Lyme because I am still trying to find a Dr. I do not want to make things worse! [confused]

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!!

Posts: 153 | From St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the thread:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/96670

Magnesium is NOT the same as Manganese

The spirochetes deplete magnesium... If you do a search here you'll get tons of posts regarding should you take magnesium or not.

You'd get more answers if you put "Magnesium or Manganese" in the subject line of this thread.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I disagree with some of the things said to eliminate: nuts, seeds, cocoa. All are excellent for our health (unless one has an allergy to them). Cocoa, of course, should be without sugar. It is a simply fabulous plant with key antioxidants.

Since there is no direct link, it's hard to find out more about the author and see the direct quotes.

As for magnesium, there is one lyme researcher/author who says to avoid as it feeds the lyme. (I would have to hunt for that title and link but maybe someone will post it.)

I strongly disagree - yes, the lyme biofilm contains magnesium but it also contains other substances/nutrients.

If we deprive our body of magnesium, we will die. We require magnesium and if lyme steals that from us, we need more.

There are other ways to deal with the issue of biofilm but starving our bodies of key nutrients will kill us long before killing lyme. If we could figure out how to keep the biofilm from stealing our magnesium, now THAT would be way cool.

It's just not so easy as starving our cells to starve biofilm.

Most LLMDs advise magnesium supplementation.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

THE IMPORTANCE OF MAGNESIUM TO HUMAN NUTRITION

(thanks to Carol in PA for this link)

=======================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines, 16th edition, October, 2008

Page 6:

. . . Magnesium deficiency is very often present and quite severe.

. . . Hyperreflexia, muscle twitches, myocardial irritability, poor stamina and recurrent tight muscle spasms are clues to this deficiency.

. . . Magnesium is predominantly an intracellular ion, so blood level testing is of little value.

. . . Oral preparations are acceptable for maintenance, but those with severe deficiencies need additional, parenteral dosing: 1 gram IV or IM at least once a week until neuromuscular irritability has cleared.

Page 25:

. . . Levofloxacin is generally well tolerated, with almost no stomach upset. Very rarely, it can cause confusion- this is temporary (clears in a few days) and may be relieved by lowering the dose.

There is, however, one side effect that would require it to be stopped- it may cause a painful tendonitis, usually of the largest tendons. If this happens, then the levofloxacin must be stopped or tendon rupture may occur.

It has been suggested that loading the patient with magnesium may prevent this problem, and if the tendons do become affected, parenteral high dose vitamin C (plus parenteral magnesium) may afford rapid relief.

Page 28 (in the supplement section):

6. MAGNESIUM (required)

Magnesium supplementation is very helpful for the tremors, twitches, cramps, muscle soreness, heart skips and weakness. It may also help in energy level and cognition.

The best source is magnesium L-lactate dehydrate (``Mag-tab SR'', sold by Niche Pharmaceuticals: 1-800-677-0355, and available at Wal-Mart).

DO NOT rely on ``cal-mag'', calcium plus magnesium combination tablets, as they are not well absorbed. Take at least one tablet twice daily.

Higher doses increase the benefit and should be tried, but may cause diarrhea. In some cases, intramuscular or intravenous doses may be necessary.

Page 30:

OTHER OPTIONAL SUPPLEMENTS

VITAMIN D

Surprisingly, most people in America are vitamin D deficient. In the Lyme patient, low vitamin D levels can cause diffuse body aches and cramps that are not responsive to magnesium or calcium supplements.

==========================

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

Four pages

===========================

For further reference, you might find this book - and some of the links below - of interest.

This book holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

====================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Magnesium - 78917 abstracts

magnesium, cardiac - 6456 abstracts

magnesium, arrhythmia (irreg. heart beat) - 1460 abstracts

Magnesium, anxiety - 107 abstracts

Hypomagnesemia - 1621 abstracts

Magnesium, toxemia - 753

======================

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art751&zTYPE=2

(low) Magnesium Levels Linked To Irregular Heart Beat

-----------

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1715&zTYPE=2

Magnesium: The Key to Health and Life

-----------

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art588&zTYPE=2

Magnesium: The Underappreciated Mineral of Life Part I

-----------

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1634&zTYPE=2

Magnesium: The Underappreciated Mineral of Life Part II

-----------

All this on magnesium is partly because it has helped me so much. However, be sure to ask your doctor. Most lyme patients are very low in magnesium as the infections seem to do that.

One thing that makes lyme hard to treat is that the bacteria creates a sort of film around it, a biofilm.

Some are concerned that the magnesium can "feed" infection as magnesium has been found in the biofilm of borrelia (but - along with many other things).

However, there other ways to address the problem of biofilm besides with-holding the a key nutrient from all the cells in our body.

if the body is severely depleted the body must be replenished as magnesium is a necessary mineral for survival. We would die without adequate magnesium. Many of the severe symptoms of lyme can be greatly relieved with proper magnesium, along with other key nutrients.

Taking magnesium with B-6 helps it get into our cells better. And B-6 is a calming vitamin, too.
-

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=054597

from GiGi - 11 May, 2007

Magnesium Malate is an essential mineral that is required by every cell in the human body and is important for helping to maintain normal cardiovascular, muscle, nerve, bone and cellular function.

Magnesium deficiency is one the most common nutrient deficiencies in the United States. No longer is there a sufficient amount of magnesium in most people's diet to maintain proper magnesium levels, even in a non-stressed individual.

Magnesium requirements can increase four to six fold under stress.

Under stress, magnesium is wasted through the kidney through the urine. It is also wasted from the body by the intake of coffee, soda, and alcohol.

A person mildly deficient in magnesium will have difficulty sleeping, sore muscles and constipation. A person moderately deficient in magnesium will experience muscle cramps, palpitations and muscle twitches.

A person severely deficient in magnesium will develop fatal cardiac arrhythmias, coronary spasms and heart attacks. Also, the possibility of seizures is more likely during severe magnesium deficiency if the patient has an irritable focus in his or her brain.

Magnesium Malate is likely to be the most effective form of magnesium.

Most alternative and integrative practitioners find a wide variation in the efficacy of different forms of magnesium.

Magnesium Oxide has the lowest absorption and utilization rate by the body, and this is the form most commonly found in health food stores.

Magnesium Malate is best absorbed and utilized by the body. According to many health care practitioners the cells utilize the malic acid for energy production in the mitochondria and simultaneously draw magnesium into the mitochondria, where it is most needed.

Most people in the United States are constipated because they have less than three bowel movements a day .

Constipation causes toxins to back up into the liver and gall bladder and then into the rest of the body. This back up of toxins will cause fatigue, brain fog, muscle aches and a variety of other symptoms.

Magnesium in sufficient amounts will correct constipation in most patients. Patients who should be most concerned and cautious when taking magnesium are those with kidney insufficiency or failure.

(from BIONATUS LABORATORIES NUTRAMEDIX DISTRIBUTOR IN ECUADOR Guayaquil, Ecuador)

(GiGi)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Marnie posted this thread - Magnesium (Mg) is the key to successful treatment

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/80718?

Topic: How did they CURE lyme in Romania

Excerpt:

. . . This is why the use of Mg derivatrves in therapy can represent an immunostimulating factor. The peculiarities of the cases are the following:

1. Patients had in addition to fever, articular pain and erythema migrans, Mg deficiency

2. The supplementation of therapy with Mg derrvatives had an immediate beneficial effect that was maintained in time.

As a conclusion at this stage, we consider that in the acute phase of Lyme borreliosis there is a significant Mg consumption and the introduction in therapy of such preparations is recommended and beneficial." . . .
-

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B. burgdorferi is one of the few pathogenic bacteria that can survive without iron, having replaced all of its iron-sulfur cluster enzymes with enzymes that use manganese, thus avoiding the problem many pathogenic bacteria face in acquiring iron.
Wikipedia (and many other links as well)

Mn can and does substitute for Mg which WE need to make all of our enzymes (and WE need to make antibodies...along with Ca).

We need very little Mn compared to Mg.

P.S. In Romania, docs gave IV abx. AND IV doses of Mg...restoring the levels which drop "significantly" at the OUTSET of lyme.

The combination.

Mg is an anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine and inhibits HMG CoA reductase (like statin drugs). Bb follows the "cholesterol pathway" to build "his" cell walls...among lots of other pathways.

It appears we need to tame down inflammation bigtime AND hit Bb. Also, if IgE kicks in (histidine converts to histamine)...we may need anti-histamine "help". Bb's "zinc fingers" look to contain histidine.

Increasing ATP drives Mg back into the cell where it is the FIRST electrolyte to lock onto ATP as Mg-ATP.

MOST of our Mg is attached to our ATP as Mg-ATP...intracellularly...which makes the level harder to figure out.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Consuela,

I was the one who posted in that thread about Manganese and Lyme.

Magnesium is a different element.

Both elements are important parts of a healthy diet.

However, too much MANGANESE can be very toxic, and has been implicated in various disorders and disease states.

Considering Manganese's unique role in the life-cycle of the Lyme bacteria, that adds another concern for me, when it is being suggested that people supplement with it, beyond the levels found naturally in many foods.

MAGNESIUM is extremely important to our health, and becomes depleted when there is infection with Lyme Disease. It is very hard to take too much Magnesium, as our bodies metabolize it and "move it" quickly from the system if there is "too much". In other words, it comes out the other end, so to speak.

Many people find that Magnesium supplementation helps with their Lyme symptoms and recovery.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nenet...congrats!! you made the 1,000 post mark.

Well done. Just think of all the assistance you gave to others on here. [spinning smile]

[woohoo]

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Consuelachacha:
just started taking a supplement of Magnesium, 250 mg 1/day w/meal (which I'm not sure if that is even enough for Late Stage Lyme).
[snip]
Should I continue the Magnesium? I have not received FULL treatment for my Lyme because I am still trying to find a Dr. I do not want to make things worse! [confused]

Dear Consuelachacha,
It's great that you've been looking into nutrition as you prepare to be at your best to begin tx with your new LLMD.

Other posters addressed your magnesium question, and i'll bring up other nutrients.

Are you looking at Dr. B's suggested supplements from his 37-pg monograph? He lists supplements in order of priority based on decades of work with Lyme patients & their physicians worldwide.

Kefir is the number one recommendation. I drink coconut kefir. Have you started that, and another probiotic like acidophilis?

Best wishes,
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
B. burgdorferi is one of the few pathogenic bacteria that can survive without iron, having replaced all of its iron-sulfur cluster enzymes with enzymes that use manganese, thus avoiding the problem many pathogenic bacteria face in acquiring iron.
[snip]
We need very little Mn compared to Mg.
[snip]doses of Mg...restoring the levels which drop "significantly" at the OUTSET of lyme.
[snip]
Mg is an anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine and inhibits HMG CoA reductase (like statin drugs). Bb follows the "cholesterol pathway" to build "his" cell walls...among lots of other pathways.

It appears we need to tame down inflammation bigtime AND hit Bb. Also, if IgE kicks in (histidine converts to histamine)...we may need anti-histamine "help". Bb's "zinc fingers" look to contain histidine.

Increasing ATP drives Mg back into the cell where it is the FIRST electrolyte to lock onto ATP as Mg-ATP.

MOST of our Mg is attached to our ATP as Mg-ATP...intracellularly

Dear Marnie, [bow]
I appreciate the info you've shared.
Plz help me understand what's meant by "zinc fingers." Does LBb get its claws into our zinc reserves, too?
Thx!
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement