LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » buner ppl-1st chinese ppl: I AM FREAKING OUT !!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: buner ppl-1st chinese ppl: I AM FREAKING OUT !!!
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can't believe this just happened. my tea is almost done. i have been making buhner tea for almost a year now. i get the cut and dried herbs from 1st chinese. i was just finishing up putting everything away and there are little black/brown worms in the knotweed.

i don't know for sure if they are in the tea simmering on the stove. i don't know for sure if they have been in all the other batches of tea i made.

the tea makes me better!!!! i'm doing so good. i feel awful when i run out...but am i cooking and drinking worms?????

please someone who knows help me with this???

i don't know what to do...i DON'T want to stop the tea.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
First. If the batch of tea on the stove is from the bag with visitors, I'd not drink it.

Clarification needed from your comment: "just finishing up putting everything away"

Do you mean from a shipment that arrived today or from your having made your tea and putting it back into your cupboard?

* If the latter: How was this stored in your cupboard? Was it in an air tight glass jar? If not, check everything else in your cupboard. These should all be in tightly sealed glass containers, the kind with the metal lever and rubber seal.

* If the former: call the company and talk to them. They would want to know and can help with figuring this out.

If you've not noticed them before, my guess is that they've not been there before.

There is always a solution. You'll be able to enjoy your tea again. Just think if you were out in the jungle. You'd have all sorts of visitors. But, you will be able to get a fresh batch of just plant material with no visiting diners. I'm sure of it.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have been feeling better from it, I wouldn't worry. It actually may be a good sign that the herbs don't have alot of pesticides in them.

I would discontinue using them & call the company. See if you can get some more either from them or another supplier.

People take lumbourkinase here all the time. It made from earthworms... No need to panic. Maybe they are some new, secret cure?

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If visitors are from the cupboard/cabinet:

The seal on this kind of glass canister is the only type that will keep bugs out of grains, etc. that we store in the cupboards. There are different brands but those a latch with rubber seal are best.

Store in a cool dark place. Light can destroy some nutrients. So can heat. I keep my grains and legumes in these out on a bookcase in the kitchen as there are just too many heavy containers to put in the cabinet.

However, for any loose herbs, the dark is really best.
-----------

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bormioli-Rocco-0.5-liter-Fido-Glass-Canning-Jars-Pack-of-3/4155046/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Bormioli Rocco 0.5-liter Fido Glass Canning Jars (Pack of 3)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly... Japanese knotweed - reseveratrol and worms:

http://hubpages.com/hub/resveratrol-fountain-of-youth-herb

You sure they are not relatively common millipeds?

http://www.allaboutworms.com/brownish-black-worms-that-curl-up-millipedes

Do they curl up if you touch them?

P.S. I have to keep regular flour in the refrig. You wouldn't believe what "hatches" if flour is kept in the cupboard for many months in a southern state...even sealed.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no-the stored herbs were fine . it was the new knotweed. the other new herbs were ok.

so i guess i shold call them...and throw my tea away?????? grrrrr. it was two weeks worth and took two hours to make.

i'm not sure if i could get it down knowing it was full of worms.

once i ate half a worm in a sweetpotato. it was wicked bitter tasign. if that taste is in my tea i would know it

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Seal up the herbs, very tightly in a glass jar.

Call the company. Find out more. They need to know ASAP so they can inspect their shipment and address the problem.

Also, keep your packing details, the carrier, the shipping code. It could have be from the delivery truck. You may want to check the box and handle accordingly.

As for the emotional aspect, I consider myself a wimp and a baby. Many hundreds of thousands of people eat bugs every day - and feel blessed for the nutrients. So, if one happens to find me, I just have to remember that. My living conditions are just sterile, considering how humans have lived for millions of years, in tune with nature.

Move ahead one step at a time. it will get better. Adrenal support may help you get over this shock. I think things upset us more because of lyme.
-

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article, Marnie. Of course, the drug form of resveratrol is the only one worth taking... LOL. How about "the French paradox"?

I'm not so sure I believe this but it is interesting to note that transdermal or under the tongue may be better ways to ingest resveratrol. Maybe we could make a bath product, moisturizer?

Maybe tea is good since you sip it...? It has a chance to be absorbed through the under the tongue method. Or, like with wine...?

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

keebler-i'll call them tomorrow-i just got the box out of the trash-well-recycling

i think they are all dead so i don''t know if they would curl up---they weren't dead when i fist saw them-but i picked them up with a wet papertowel and put them in a sealed baggie

the herbs come in sealed plastic or tinfoil packages...so i dont reallly think it was the box

as far as sipping the tea-sometimes i do -i mix it with another herb te---but lots of times i mix it with a juice or other cold drink...and guzzle it

i'm on adrenal support

thanks to all of you

oh-when i strained it tonight i didn't
see any. i don't know if they melted into the ligued or what...i saved the leftover hers and will look closer at them---i hate to lose this batch. i'm tryig to think of bugs as protein.

i think they might look like mini mealy bugs...sort of black and brown striped-i didn't really research it much tho-anyone know?

i'm gonna try to read marnies stuff now. i usually have trouble understanding it.

thanks to all

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

"In general, millipedes are harmless, unlike their centipede counterparts, many of which can bite and sting. All millipedes, when disturbed, can emit a foul liquid that has the potential to irritate sensitive skin. The chemical emission can also become more serious if it reaches a human mouth or eyes. Larger, tropical millipedes, which are sometimes acquired as pets, may produce heavier concentrations of chemical defense. Hand washing is recommended after handling any millipede although the staining liquid may take a few days to disappear entirely. Otherwise, they won't invade pantries or cause damage to home structures. They also do not carry diseases or munch on clothing. "

yuk. i feel sick to my stomach now.

--------------------

heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keebler, any place to buy those jars inexpensively?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by heiwalove:
keebler, any place to buy those jars inexpensively?

Yes-Wal-Mart. I bought a set of 4 (not for my herbs but kitchen stuff) for $16.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Are the bugs in your herbs centipedes...? May be a different bug?

----

You can get mason jars to store stuff. They sell them in different sizes - usually a case of 12 or so. You can also get new lids separately when needed. They are quite cheap.

Some supermarkets sell them or usually Wal-mart or stores like that.

Also, here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Wide-Mouth-Mason-Canning-Case/dp/B000BWZ7QO

I save alot of jars - like from tomato sauce or jam. You can use them for all kinds of stuff. Recycling...LOL

lpkayak
Member # 5230

i should have gotten back here sooner. i just want to be sure 1st chinese was great. they handled it immedatly. checked their supply and didn't find any worms as far as i know. they said it had neverhappened before. they sent me a new bag of knotweed the next day-from a different supplyer than the one i had gotten. they sent a prepaid box for me to send back the wormy stuff.

i tossed the tea i made and will have to make more.

so far no one knws what happened but i still trust them and think they did everythng they could.

--------------------

supergirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for supergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad I read this post. I've been using raw chinese herbs rx by my acupuncturist for 4 years now and have never stored them in jars before. but, I will going forward. Eek! Have I been drinking worms all this time?! lol

--------------------
PHOENIX: mythical bird that rises from the ashes
July '09 got sick very quickly could barely get out of bed - ND diag lymes.. and the journey began
bite: unkown - no rash

Posts: 248 | From private | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great service, LP!! New knotweed shipped right out & a pre-paid return box & all.
The original supplier will likely be asking for that wormy stuff back to examine.

I've always used glass "mayo jars", with the lined covers. I keep the raw herbs and teas down "below" in a cupboard where it's a bit cooler. -M.S.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

just to be clear---the worms had nothing to do with how i stored the herbs. they came in the plastic bag with the knotweed from the company.

the other 3 herbs i got in that order and the herbs i have gotten for a year never had them.

and the way i store them never had them.

i'm sure glass is best-but sometimes i have to use baggies.

--------------------

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lpyak,

Just out of curiosity what are the other 3 herbs you get?

I order from 1stchineseherbs as well.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement