LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cannot afford an LLMD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cannot afford an LLMD
tamaleigh
Member # 27563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamaleigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off HI! I'm new here! And I am so glad I have found this website.

So, there is NO WAY, NO HOW that I would EVER be able to afford to see an LLMD anytime soon. So my question is this, how on earth can I get my primary care doctor to take me seriously? Every one of the doctors I have seen just tells me that I am a hypochondriac and that there is NO way that I have lyme. I haven't even been tested. They all say there is no reason to test when he knows I don't have lyme. I am absolutely positiely sure that lyme is what I have.

In 2005 I had the rash...
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3238/image0042vl4.jpg

2007 I had Bell's Palsy, and now this may I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. After I was was diagnosed with the a-fib, i was convinced it was because of Lyme. The MD basically said, lyme doesn't cause heart problems. I wanted to smack him! But i restrained...

So what do I do at this point? I am very lost and just fed up. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 5 | From SF Bay Area | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tamaleigh
Member # 27563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamaleigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I forgot to add that I am 22, so there is no way a-fib would be normal for me. also I have had just about every other symptom imaginable.
Posts: 5 | From SF Bay Area | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought was that we wouldn't be able to afford a LLMD for my daughter. It was just out of the question.

But I made the appointment anyway. It can take take several months to get into one. Sometimes the impossible is possible after all.

We managed, with great people in our lives, to come up with the money.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know first hand that Lyme can cause Cardiac issues. Somehow you need to get a test done ASAP!Try and get it done through Igenex as they are one of the best.

This will add some validity to your claim and there are doctors that will take you seriously enough to get you started on antibiotics even if it's just long enough till you get in to see an LLMD.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With that rash pic you don't need a test. The rash is diagnostic all by itself!

I think many of us don't think we can afford LLMD's in the beginning, but then we find ways to do it. I hope you can also.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think I could afford an LLMD or the tests from Igenex but I did. There are time I struggle financially when it comes to this mess but I have to figure it out.

I am way to scared and under educated in the medical field to be treating myself. I've heard of people treating themselves but that is too risky for me.

I guess for now you could try an herbal protocol, like Stephen Buhner's book "Healing Lyme."

Good Luck

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not, some LLMDs do take insurance (not many though). Go to the Doctor Referral section on lymediseaseassociation.org. Call all the doctors that come up in your area. If no luck, I would still switch doctors and try to find someone more open-minded (then loan them the film Under Our Skin, and give them a copy of Dr. Burrascano's 16th edition on Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines.). In the meantime, take good care of yourself.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought was you can't afford not to go to a LLMD - then I read the post about slapping your MD (LOL)

We have a friend that was wheel chair bound and bedridden who did not have insurance or money to go to a LLMD. She bought a DT EMEM (Rife Machine) and started out with that.

She is still sick but now has quality of life - no wheel chair - and has come a long way. She did find a way to see a dr. and is miles away from where she started.

I hope you stay with us and find a way to get treatment.

I happen to have a Physician that treats Lyme and takes insurance - I am SO blessed. He is now even in my plan so I pay $25.00 to see him.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you find ways to pay- even if it is using a credit card and paying it off slowly. What good is your money if your life in is jeopardy?

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A poster here on lymenet started with 3 symptoms, air hunger, brain fog and heart arrhythmia.

I heard about her after her 3rd trip to the ER where she coded on the table.

She is now seeing an LLMD and just got received a high positive on a lyme test (not Igenex).

Of course, this is very rare, but I'm just saying this is definitely a symptom of lyme&co and you need to find a doctor who takes you seriously and knows how to take care of you.

I understand about not being able to afford an LLMD. That's the way I felt too. Then I realized I couldn't afford not to see an LLMD.

Sell something. Sell your car. Ride the bus. You must find a way.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't afford an LLMD either, but I quickly learned that NOT getting treated would be MUCH more expensive in the long run, if I lost my job and insurance and/or needed IV treatment.

The LLMD nearest where I live (still a 9-hour drive each way) turned out to be less expensive than some. I struggled for a few months to pay for all the meds and travel, and finally asked my relatives for help and they came through for me.

I am still (just) functional enough to continue working (though I have had to give up some freelance work that I used to do to make extra money). It is VERY frustrating to find myself begging for charity when I have a good job and good insurance that I have worked hard to achieve.

But if I don't get the right treatment now and get better, I will lose my job and then I would be a complete burden on my family. So I decided it was better to ask them for help now and accept it than to definitely need a lot MORE help from them later.

The good part is that I am very slowly improving, which means I will eventually be well, and I am unlikely to get sicker and lose my job (unless I have a future relapse after I am well).

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy Stephen Buhner's "Healing Lyme" and start there with herbal protocols. Hopefully, that will help you enough, if not, then you can find out a way to afford an LLMD later.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sending you some information I think you'll like.

PS.. I have A-fib too. Most likely from Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmurfyMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmurfyMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to just do what you can and not worry about all the details. I know that sounds impossible, but it's really not. Go ahead and make the dr appts and fill the prescriptions. Don't worry about being able to afford it or not. Likely you'll need to charge stuff a bunch. You may have some other bills that have to go unpaid for awhile.

The important thing is to trust God to take care of you and keep you from starving. We've had to let other bills go and do without some things, but we've never been without the absolute essentials like food, water, and toilet paper!

Posts: 155 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my dh was unemployed for over a year and we had no insurance it was amazing how God worked things out.

Samples, discounts, reduction in appt prices, free meds from people who had reactions or didn't need them and they donated them to the LLMD office.

YOu can ask if you can do a payment plan without interest.

Some drug manufactures have free meds.

PScard has big discounts.

I understand. I never ever want to be in debt. It's just how we grew up. We've learned to do without alot of things people think they need, and we're still not well off by any means but we never have gone hungry.

Pray all works out for you and you get the help you need.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosiegeorge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosiegeorge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check with your insurance plan regarding out of network benefits. Often this will help alleviate a lot
Posts: 157 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This thread may be of help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/97989#000002

Topic: "Healing Lyme" book
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a coverup, but its architects themselves proved that it is chronic.

lymecryme.com has many of these studies,
lymeinfo.net has some good ones (particularly on how useless testing is)
underourskin.com is good

check out the lda's website for educational materials as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psr1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had paroxysmal afib for 7 years: had the ablation and then learned a year later I had Lyme. Now dealing with sinus tachycardia and Pacs: lots of fun. My cardiologist also said that the only heart issue Lyme caused was bradycardia: hah! You may have to get treatment for the afib (once you have it it tends to permanently remodel your heart's electrical wiring) but Lyme treatment will certainly help.
Posts: 360 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off I'd order some meds online to get you through til you can find a doctor that is not outrageously priced, as the LLMDs in SF area seem to be.

Try and find a Lyme literate but normal doctor, who won't want to sell you a small fortune in herbs and detox stuff.

You firstly need antibiotics if you have Lyme Disease. Go to drugdelivery.ca or drive to Mexico and get a load of cheap meds like Amoxicillin and Flagyl or Doxy and Flagyl. To decide dosages and such, read treatment guidelines from Burascanno, LymeMD, posters here, etc...

With your remaining pennies, buy lots and lots of Acidophilus. Whatever a doctor tells you to take, double it.

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with others regarding finding a new doc. Assuming you have health insurance, look for an ILADS doc who takes insurance. They may be rare, but they exist.

Alternatively, simply change doctors. A decent PCP should at least test for Lyme, even if using the crummy non-Igenex sorts of tests. My old PCP who admitted she didn't know much about Lyme was willing to test me for WB + coinfections using local labs, and had no problem with it. I switched to an ILADs doc after initial testing, but she did at least turn up one co-infection.

I wouldn't do the self-treatment thing without seeing a doctor first and getting some tests done. You'll need your liver tested regularly, for instance, if you start antibiotics.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.lymedisease.org/

California Lyme Disease Association (CALDA)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She has the name of someone who can help. Now it's up to tamaleigh.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement