LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LabCorp test for Lyme vs. Igenix

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LabCorp test for Lyme vs. Igenix
hypernot50
Member # 27894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hypernot50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know whether or not the Western Blot for Lyme that LabCorp is currently doing is comparable to the one that Igenix is doing? Is it as sensitive and should I trust it?

Thanks

Posts: 3 | From Houston | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most people will respond that Igenex is more sensitive, but I did test positive thru Labcorp.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Igenex for sure.

they test for more lyme specific bands than labcorp

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You MIGHT test positive thru LabCorp...but what if you don't and you really have LYME? Then what?

So go with the lab you KNOW will deliver a test result that is more accurate. Igenex tests for ALL POSSIBLE bands.

The other labs do not.

www.igenex.com Test # 188 and 189
Costs around $200

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
labcorp didnt even run a western blot because my Elisa was negative..even though a Dr specifically ordered the Western Blot.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Labcorp does not test for all bands, but my doc says labcorps test is just as sensitive and is performed in the exact same manner as Igenex. I tested IGM CDC positive through labcorp on the 3rd WB.

If you have a LLMD then the results of your test shouldn't make a difference since LD is in fact a clinical diagnosis.

Also if you are going to have to pay out of pocket, Igenex is much cheaper, almost half as much. If you have ins, it should cover a WB done by labcorp.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding from a sensitivity stand point, which is the same level for a positive band reading is they are the same.

BUT IgeneX has a few key diffenernces.
1) It tests bands 31 and 34 (or it could be 39, I forget) which are specific to Lyme.

2) It will provide the specific band readings (IF you do Labcor make sure you request the bands with the original paperwork or its difficult to obtain them afterwards).

3) IgeneX gives an overall positive with less bands.

CDC protocol is 5 positive bands to be considered positive.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sutherngrl:

Also if you are going to have to pay out of pocket, Igenex is much cheaper, almost half as much. If you have ins, it should cover a WB done by labcorp.

Igenex is cheaper??? And better? No brainer then!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LAbCorp is worthless. will pm
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely go with IGenex. When I was first bitten, I was tested via lab corp negative Elisa and neg on both IgM and IgG (think that is right) tired right now. Anyway, a month later, I was neg Elisa Neg IgG and positive IgM.

With Igenex I was positive across the board so I do think they are a more sensitive lab. IgeneX all the way!

Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjbrklich
Member # 24607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjbrklich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always wondered about the lab my clinic used. Anyone ever hear of ARUP Lab in UT? It came back positive for IgG with bands 18, 30, 39, 41, 45, 58 and 66 and positive IgM with bands 23 and 41. If i came back positive with this lab, what if anything do you think would be different if it had been Igenix?
Posts: 48 | From Eden Prairie, MN | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested through mayo clinic not labcorp but I tested negative. I only had band 41 show up.

I then did the antibiotic challenge and re-tested through Igenex. I was positive through Igenex but CDC neg because of the bands that were positive.

I'm not sure if it was the antibiotic challenege or the fact that I tested through Igenex but I wouldn't trust a mainstream lab for tick testing.

Labcorp is supposed to be the best as far as the CD57 but all tick testing I would rather use Igenex.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo, Igenex=$200.00 Labcorp=approx $385.00

At least this was what it said on my labcorp bill. Fortunately my ins paid for all 3 of my labcorp WB's.

I don't agree with some that labcorp is worthless; but if you want the added bands and if your doctor needs more bands to be willing to treat, then definetely go with Igenex.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by onbam:
LAbCorp is worthless.

i get my cbc, liver panel, and ua through labcorp every couple of months. my insurance covers it. should i switch?

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement