LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Starting special needs child on rifampin & nervous

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting special needs child on rifampin & nervous
Peyjad
Member # 23228

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Peyjad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

We are getting ready to start treating my 6 yr old daughter's bart and ehrlichia with rifampin. She is also taking zith and Amox.

I am a 'nervous nellie' with her because she has special needs and among other issues she doesn't communicate and I never know how she really feels.

I am wondering if anyone who has young children on rifampin can give me advice on what to look for regarding side effects

Are they the same as adults? I started it in august and can get pretty mean headaches but after the first month of herxing that's all that remains.

I am SO worried about giving her meds since she can't talk plus she's on 2 seizure meds to boot

Please help me feel better about this, I really am worried and I don't think anyone else in my family gets the responsibility I have on my mind as to if I am doing the right thing. It's the first steps of a new med I always have trouble with, with giving to both my kids but my son is 'typically developing' so he can tell me everything - she can't tell me anything and that's my problem.

I appreciate the words of advice!

Peyjad

Posts: 93 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is now 12 and is developing typically, but it is hard to tell what is happening with the meds for her, too. She always feels bad and never says she feels better.

For the most part, I go by how she acts.

When she went on Rifampin, she did complain more about her headache, but she also started laying in her bed even more. It also caused her mood disorder symptoms to flare up.

Her doctor at the time thought the increased headache was a side effect and took her off from it. She got even worse off from it, so her new doctors and I think that was a herx.

I think you will be able to tell if the Rifampin is making things worse. It is still hard to know if it is a herx or a side effect.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peyjad
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peyjad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jkmom-thx for replying!

I guess I will have to watch her like a hawk and start her on 1/2 the dose. That's what I did for myself anyway. I think my H/A is a herx because I don't have it all the time- just my opinion though, who knows

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Peyjad

Posts: 93 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophie1234
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, my two cents on Rifampin: I first started on 300mg. Yikes. I am not a big person (112lbs). I finally went down to 75mg per day. I just broke the capsules open and divided them into four equal parts in gelatin caps. (of course, with the blessing of my Dr., don't do this on your own.)
Posts: 113 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peyjad
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peyjad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Sophie1234

That's like me too - 300mg and 120lb that's why I started at 150mg and glad I did. My daughters rifampin is liquid so it's easy enough to half the dose. I am pushing forward (with anxiety) because I am hopeful the Lyme and co is the reason for her global developmental delays and seizures and with treatment, it will improve (TONS, I hope)

Thanks for your input!
Peyjad

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement