LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » smoking cigarettes while suffering from Lyme- how bad is it??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: smoking cigarettes while suffering from Lyme- how bad is it??
Lynnapin
Member # 6580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynnapin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 34 year old boyfriend, who's been in treatment for late-stage Lyme for 4 months, has recently begun smoking cigarettes- about 8-10 a day. He has a strong history of early heart disease in his family, so I'm worried about his smoking in any case, but I'm especially worried given his Lyme and ABX treatment. I really fear he is compromising his recovery. Could others share info about the risks/dangers/problems with smoking while suffering from and being treated for Lyme? If I could show him some solid info, opinions from other sufferers and doctors, etc., I think he would definitely quit. He wants to, but the cigarettes are helping him deal with the stress of a new job, herxing, etc. THANKS SO MUCH!
Posts: 21 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
can not remeber
Member # 6520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for can not remeber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish someone with more knowledge would tell about the normal behaviors (smoking, drinking) with this. We need to know and prepare for what lies ahead. gladly give up.
Yeah, I smoke as well, now more than ever, that is if I do not drop it.
Normal behaviors for new people need to be addressed. I am sure they were before, but Lymenet has alot of new members - sorry to say.
T.

Posts: 61 | From cosmo | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magdalena
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6096

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Magdalena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently a friend of mine sent me some interesting info on smokes. I do not smoke, but we were having this conversation nonetheless.

He swears that the Native American tobacco has medicinal properties. He also swears that the chemical filters and genetically and chemically altered tobacco that is now in mass production is the "killer".

I thought about this and being an avid anti-smoker had to admit that my grandparents and great-grandparents lived to be very old and smoked the type tobacco that he mentioned.

So, food for thought. If you are gonna smoke smoke the organic Native American tobacco. The common tobacco products are lethal.

Just my two cents,

Maggie

Posts: 400 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CNR -- That's a good idea. I think there's other stuff out there about lyme and every day life, but I posted something at http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/029688.html

I hope this helps.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Search: 'Sulfonil' for help quitting.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymiecanuck
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think because of our nervousness and restlessness and all we have to deal with that chronic lymies are more prone to addiction and have a harder time beating it. I smoke again after quitting twice, and when at my sickest was almost eating them. Harder to quit when disease most active, but this is killing us.

Lymiecanuck

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never smoked and the smell of cigarettes make me sick or have difficulty with breathing.

But, when I came down with this....I liked the smell and had a strong desire to smoke.

I waited it out and that desire went away.

I still think rolling leaves up and putting smoke in your body just doesn't make common sense.

I don't really think you can change your boyfriends habits. I don't know about you but I have a tough enough time fixing myself.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna take a Dr. Phil approach here for a moment.....why would anyone think any health compromising behavior would be good for you?

The smoking is an obvious no brainer when it comes to negatively affecting ones health. The alcohol usage while many people can indulge at safe levels also stymies lyme patients. Simply put when you are on an abx, you are more vulnerable to yeast infections. Alcohol is a sugar....you become your own brewery! Also the body does not metabolize alcohol as well when it is infected with lyme.

I guess the bottom line is what can we do to give our bodies the best possible chance at getting well, and using substances like tobacco and alcohol is not going to strengthen the body. They should be avoided.
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Perhaps Bb likes the sugars in the tobacco?
(rhet. quest.)

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldnt advise anyone to smoke. However, if you are going to.. it is better to smoke Native American cigs that do not have added chemicals or to smoke a pipe.

It is true that the more well know brands add chemicals to their products, which are not found in tobacco naturally.

About 90% of a cigarette is plant matter. The additional 10% is a combination of chemicals and other additives. These chemicals include ammonia and sugars.

The amounts of these agents differ according to the type and brand of cigarette.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are right kara, i have tried spirit. "taste's good,like a cigarette should"...

don't get me wrong,if i could put them down and walk away, i would.

i make my own. that way ,george don't get the tax.

gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda think this is not that unusual. I've known a couple of Lymies who either started smoking or increased their smoking as they got sicker.

Here's my understanding: Nicotine mimics the action of natural neurotransmitters, and in the brain at least 2 of these transmitters affect cognitive functioning. It also affects how the brain processes dopamine, a big issue for Lymies. That, in addition to the boost nicotine gives to the metabolism, may explain why Lymies begin craving it.

In my observation, it also goes along with the obsessive/compulsive aspect of LD/Co. Which makes it doubly hard to quit.

Smoking is a truly lousy idea in so many ways, and especially for Lymies. But I've never seen anyone nagged out of doing it. I know from personal experience how upsetting it is to watch someone hit the cigarets like some people hit the bottle. I also know what a bad effect it has on a relationship to continually criticize someone for what they are doing.

[This message has been edited by minoucat (edited 27 June 2005).]

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digirl02
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7177

Icon 9 posted      Profile for digirl02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i say smoke and drink all you want -- because it doesn't really matter what you do to make this disease go away -- it never does -- so enjoy it... not a good day for me to answer this question but i did. sorry.
Posts: 121 | From Gaithersburg, MD USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guilty. As charged. Closet smoker. Enjoy them fiendishly. Shocking. Doubtless bad for general health; equally doubtless necessary for mental health.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

google 'Sulfonil'

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geden,

I dont smoke, but is it feasible for someone to grow their own tobacco?

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kara,

No one in my family has ever grown tobacco. But I've noticed they grow it in long rows--do you think it is like corn and you have to have many to get a good germination?

It use to be quite a cash crop around here becuse of all the subsidies.

One thing I've heard is if you go out in the field and get it on your skin it will make you sick, sick, sick.

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kara, i don't think growing your own would make much sence. then there is a process your have to do.(cure the the tabacco).

plus i don't know about the taxman.

a 6 oz.can of "natural american spirit" run's about ten buck's. a box of premade filter paper's is around $3.50.

i just bought a new machine to make cigarette's,that was $45.00....

for me to make them myself,the cost is about maybe fifteen dollar's a carton.to buy them here in pa.,run's about 35.00 to$40.00 a carton.

so i make out.i do have all this time on my hand's now.......gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geden,

I was just thinking that if someone grew only a few plants, would that be enough? I dont know how many cigars/cig you would get out of one plant.

GEDEN13
Member # 4151

i really don't know ,kara.
,gary

------------------

3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah tobacco fields,use to see them going on and on for miles.

When I was in college,I would ride my bike to school and had to go right thru the heart of tobacco warehouse section.
At first my stomach turned at the smell of all that cured tobacco.Cured out in little log cabins,really.

Then I developed a true appreciation for that smell.Some houses smelled better and you could tell where the finer leaves were with your nose.

My favorite honey was bastard honey,had a hint of tobacco flower in it.

That culture has gone now,with the buyouts and all.Riding thru those streets and smelling that dried tobacco was my morning wakeup call.

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement