LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lymies is the heat good or bad for you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lymies is the heat good or bad for you?
Bruceallan
Member # 9317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruceallan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious, I know some healthy folks that love it and do better in it.

The heat is a nail in my coffen, when it goes over 85 to 90 my body shuts down, 20 years ago before I was sick heat never bothered me.

But the last 20 years I shut down mentally and physicaly, I must stay by the fan, and have a roon a/c to sleep.

I think this heat intolerance goes with the diesease. When its 80 I break into massive sweats just doing light house work, or just doing the dishes, within 5 minits I am dripping and soaked.

Anyway just wondering, Later Bruce

[ 04. August 2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Bruceallan ]

--------------------
CFS for 20 Years then found LYME the root cause! Am dealing with several viruses also.

Posts: 89 | From Alliance Ne | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if its the lyme Bruce but I am the same way.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i first got sick last August i could not tolerate the heat at all. Before i got so sick the AC would freeze me....wore a sweater at work etc.

Now i seem to be able to tolerate the heat more...but i few months ago i couldnt even stand having the oven door open...or take a hot shower.

we have a major heat wave happening right now...and sweating actually makes me feel better.

this disease is just so strange.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
strange the way LD affects us in such an individualized way. I love hot showers, they seem to help my whole body. Same with the heat wave we have been having in Ohio recently. Couple hours in the heat makes me feel alive. I have numerous neurological symptoms, burning, tingling, pins & needles over entire body, etc. & heat seems to slow the symptoms down. However, heat does not help the air hunger, if i walk up a hill or otherwise exert myself more than usual, i get immediate shortness of breath & need to standstill for a minute or 2 to catch my breath.
Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,

Guess I dont like the 'extreme' heat but thats just me. I 'used to have blonde hair and am very light skinned so was always affected by the heat twice as much as others.

Have you ever considered your size as a factor in this area too? I didnt realize how large of person you are till recently. I think big people are always hotter than 'my' dinky size people(Guess I never grew up!!)

You recently were talkng(on another post) about your occupation, work, care to share or you can pm me if better?

Have a good one Bruce,--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love heat.

Bring it on!

My birthday falls on the average hottest day of the year, July 24.

We have had record highs here lately; 110-115 is not an unusual day.

I live in a house of rice straw bales, which is very cool without air conditioning.

Winters I still shiver under layers and layers of the warmest micro-fleece.

My constant state of chill caused me to miss babesia WA1, believing I needed to experience "sweats" in order to suspect it. (Wrong.)

I am hypothryoid since contracting lyme disease and babesia.

I can offer no clinical evidence that I am healthier in the summer, but I am a lot happier!!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruceallan
Member # 9317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruceallan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by just don:
[Q] Bruce,

Guess I dont like the 'extreme' heat but thats just me. I 'used to have blonde hair and am very light skinned so was always affected by the heat twice as much as others.

Have you ever considered your size as a factor in this area too? I didnt realize how large of person you are till recently. I think big people are always hotter than 'my' dinky size people(Guess I never grew up!!)

You recently were talkng(on another post) about your occupation, work, care to share or you can pm me if better?

Have a good one Bruce,--just don-- [/Q]

Jack of many trades master of a few, I was raised by my father a commercial & Residentail Painter (his father was a Painter) I started as soon as I could hold a brush.

My Mothers side of the family were carpenters and Auto mecanics, so I learned them well too.

My Wife and I did sign painting together for 20 years, here in Alliance sign painting next to dead, I have kept toying with it as all I can do

and this last year had to turn away what little work came my direction, was to0 sick.

there seams to be a need for a commercial painter here so am hoping I can do that to help the Wife pay the bills (she has been a part time

massage theripist since 2001) If not for her we would have had to move looking for work, but she gets just enought to pay the bills

Living with my bad health we have learned to survive on a small income, Cloths from good will and also the 70% off sales at stores, which

means we buy summer cloths for next year in the fall, and winter cloths in the spring, this month stoped at a big and tall Rebock store, man

were they having a clearance sale 4 pair of tennis shoes in my size for less than 1 pair, my size 15 b a very hard find and usually $120 and up ( I never have found a pair at thrift shops)

4 pair for $80. they will last me for the next 10 years or longer!!! We have always bargan hunted for the nessessities.

anyway by for now, Later Bruce

--------------------
CFS for 20 Years then found LYME the root cause! Am dealing with several viruses also.

Posts: 89 | From Alliance Ne | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,
Wow, 15 b's. Everybody makes fun of my 13 wides. Cant imagine that size. Course they are flatter than flat!!! Had those foot problems all my life!! As a kid at the swimming pool my arch was on the outside of my foot. Made funny lookin wet tracks at the pool.

Did you play basketball with your size and stature??

I 'used' to paint(houses, but not professionally)inside and out very well before I acquired my severe OA.

Dont think I can do it at all now!! people would say they never saw anybody paint that fast, good and non-sloppy in dripping paint. (helps to have a over extended wing span!!)(plus a ladder that walks from side to side.Or a ladderjacked plank to walk.

Once put 60 gallons on the outside of my residence. Was that bad crappy Olympic stain, that was no good and had to redo 2 years later. lately I have resorted to vinyl siding(by somebody else).

Hope you find the answer and get back to painting full time!!! Me , I would just settle to get a few projects finished!!
best wishes, from --just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruceallan
Member # 9317

Because of have lyme for 20 years with out knowing it till this year, I doubt that I will recover enought to work full time,

If I could get half my energy back I would be overjoyed, dont get me wrong I would love a full recovery, but am not going to get my hopes up.

Before I knew I had lyme, I had a couple times when I thought I was well, both times lasted only a few months, and both times the relapse

worse than the last, with the relapse of 2003 being the worst yet, and with each relapse have had to fight even more discouragment.

I am hoping that now with treatment I can aviod the long relapses.

But am hopefull that I can do it part time. I will be persuing commercial painting as it can pay well, I too am gifted with speed and neatness

Never played in school, but a little for recreation, my main enjoyment was hiking & camping & fishing.

Of late I have resorted to collecting scifi movies, and watching them. but no horror.
Later Bruce

--------------------

mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The heat is working for me too. I'm drinking 4 quarts of water a day, at least!
Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be extremely heat intolerant- would just make everything 100 times worse.

It doesnt bother me a bit now EXCEPT that I get killer migraines if I do strenous ANYTHING in the sun, such as run, mow, walk too fast, etc.

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlie
Member # 8745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,
I cannot tolerate the heat! I have had LD for many years and wondered why I did not embrace the rays. Now in these latter years of lyme, I think it bothers me worse. I don't believe it has anything to do with size, only the way the disease has affected us individually.
Carlie

--------------------
Carlie Smith

Posts: 20 | From missouri | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlie
Member # 8745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,
I cannot tolerate the heat! I have had LD for many years and wondered why I did not embrace the rays. Now in these latter years of lyme, I think it bothers me worse. I don't believe it has anything to do with size, only the way the disease has affected us individually.
Carlie

--------------------
Carlie Smith

Posts: 20 | From missouri | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alfreda89
Member # 8949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alfreda89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The heat really drags at me. I was north for 9 days in middle/upper LP Michigan, and except for one "sticky day" I slept like a rock up there -- much better than here in Texas.

We're reading up about radiant barriers, to try and make the house more energy efficient.

My LLMP says she finds that most Lymies have trouble with too much heat/humidity. But there are always exceptions -- we cover a broad spectrum.

Posts: 8 | From Austin, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything over 75-80 degrees is too hot for me! I look forward to winter! [though my favorite is fall and spring, of course!]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now that our mini heat wave is subsiding somewhat I can tolerate sitting at the computer to say I hate the heat, it scares me,and totally drains all energy from me.

Also didn't know if I should post here or not since the title was"Any Lymies that aren't affected by Heat?" And since I am, well-I don't know if I belong here. Heat makes me stupid. So does Lyme.

Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruceallan
Member # 9317

quote:
Originally posted by Carol B:
Well, now that our mini heat wave is subsiding somewhat I can tolerate sitting at the computer to say I hate the heat, it scares me,and totally drains all energy from me.

Also didn't know if I should post here or not since the title was"Any Lymies that aren't affected by Heat?" And since I am, well-I don't know if I belong here. Heat makes me stupid. So does Lyme.

Carol

You Are fine, I some times have trouble wording things right, I was thinking that heat intolerance goes with this disease, and just wanted to here from all,

Thanks For Your post Carol, Later Bruce

--------------------

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 13 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heat, very bad. I always feel much more tired in the summer, even with the AC.

Sometimes I can't decide if it is the heat or the AC that makes me more tired. Haven't figured it out yet. I hunker down and pray for an early fall... When I usually get some energy back.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO WAY....I'm all about palm trees and puffy clouds.

I had to go to New England a few times in the winter. Those short gray days and bare trees and chilly houses are the pits.

especially when it's cold half the year...

I'll take margaritaville.

but I have to add we only get 100 degrees a couple of days a year here on the gulf coast...mostly it's low 90s day and mid 70s night. Quite comfortable

and it beats 40 anytime...below 50 I hibernate.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruceallan
Member # 9317

Well the last week our temp. been down to 70s and I am feeling much better, I was coping better with the heat in aug than in july, and I give credit to the colon clense for that, but now that the heat is down I am feeling even a little better, Later Bruce

--------------------

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heat intolerance and Lyme for 20+ years would suggest an autonomic nervous system disfunction to me. The ANS monitors all body functions, including regulating body temperature.

It's something I just discovered in myself. The stress of being sick all the time has thrown the system off.

I'm fine with a certain amount of heat. But if it gets too much, I feel like my body just shuts down. I get very weak very quickly.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruceallan
Member # 9317

"Heat intolerance and Lyme for 20+ years would suggest an autonomic nervous system disfunction to me. The ANS monitors all body functions, including regulating body temperature.

I'm fine with a certain amount of heat. But if it gets too much, I feel like my body just shuts down. I get very weak very quickly."

This is exactly what happens to me, are you taking anything for it? Is it working?
Thanks Bruce

--------------------

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,

My doctor suspected an amino acid deficiency which was confirmed through a urine test. I'm taking:

Glutathione
Essential Amino Acids (brand was chosen based on my deficiencies)
Taurine
B-12 sublingual tablets with a liquid Folic Acid
Lots of Vitamin C
Magnesium

That's the basic targetted for the ANS. This doctor believes that when you are amino acid deficient, you can no longer get the amino acids or other nutrients from food. It creates a cycle that leads to ANS disfunction.

I have definitely felt an increase in energy, and my pulse has lowered. It's only been about about a month, so I still have a ways to go.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD calls my dysautonomia "profound." One of the things that goes with it is intolerance to temperature extremes.

For me the heat is the worst. I become physically ill, nauseous, and can be in bed for days after being out in too much heat. I have to be very careful about it.

For years I thought it was all due to my being overweight,. Then I lost the weight and the problems remained.

I was ill for at least 35 years before getting any type of dx, then it was for CFS. Dx'd with Lyme in April 06.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh heat is the best - Its the cold that kills me -

I need a sweater on at 70 degrees.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The heat isn't easy for me, and it also can really mess with my breathing.

But last fall/winter, I absolutely could NOT get warm -- no matter how much fleece, down, etc. I found these great hand and wrist warmers called Wristies (you can buy them online). They helped.

For Christmas last year, everyone gave me stuff to help keep warm. I just wanted to hunker-down and wait for spring.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruceallan
Member # 9317

quote:
Originally posted by Aniek:
Bruce,

My doctor suspected an amino acid deficiency which was confirmed through a urine test. I'm taking:

Glutathione
Essential Amino Acids (brand was chosen based on my deficiencies)
Taurine
B-12 sublingual tablets with a liquid Folic Acid
Lots of Vitamin C
Magnesium

That's the basic targetted for the ANS. This doctor believes that when you are amino acid deficient, you can no longer get the amino acids or other nutrients from food. It creates a cycle that leads to ANS disfunction.

I have definitely felt an increase in energy, and my pulse has lowered. It's only been about about a month, so I still have a ways to go.

Hey Aniek, thanks for the reply and the info, on my next visit to the doc I am going to visit with him about it, and see if he will work with

me on this, I think he will, as he has been very open minded so far, he is not a llmd, not even a doc yet but a PA, and has helped get me on lyme treatment.

In the mean time I have some amino acid vitamin complex that My Mother sent me, and I will be more argessive in taking it.

Later Bruce

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement