LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Oprah.com hearing lyme stories

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oprah.com hearing lyme stories
fetz
Member # 11843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fetz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

I just heard from another group that Oprah is taking Lyme stories on her Oprah.com site. Search for lyme under "communities." You can add your story.

Lets all post so that she'll bring some attention to this disease!!

Posts: 49 | From Holly Springs, NC | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fetz, I tried. I could not find where to post.

I finally searched for Lyme and the health pages came up, but nothing relative to Lyme, or open for posting about Lyme.

Any further direction? No doubt it is there, I just could not find it.

I'd LOVE to share my Lyme story with Oprah.

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it will make any difference. We've posted hundreds of stories on her site and to her. Falls on deaf ears.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
posts from oprah, LYME message board, where they asked DR. OZ to speak about lyme, etc.

http://www.oprah.com/community/message/17504#17504

oprah's board's staff comment:

Reply 10. Contact Oprah or her staff Nov 19, 2007 7:16 AM
in response to: ribz99

Hi, unfortunately Ms. Winfrey's schedule doesn't allow time to read or respond to the message boards.

If you wish to contact Oprah or her staff, or send in a show idea please click EMAIL US from the Oprah.com drop down menu.

Additionally, members can submit show ideas by clicking the 'Be on the Show' link from the Oprah.com homepage. Thanks and have a great day!

-HarpoBear, Oprah.com Community Producer
+
i tried find where we had over 275 STORIES from us/other lymies! it's gone or changed over to another format.

LOOK IN ACTIVISM; look on pages 2 or 3; try the link if you find it.

read these gut-wrenching stories from us!

tutu's right; it fell ON DEAF EARS! even though we had 1 member whose close friend works on Oprah's staff! [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it is a matter of timing and I feel our time will come.

I think with the election coming up it is also something that needs to be addressed.

And we are not the only ones with health issues going unresolved and unsupported or moving along slow as a turtle.

At least we have hope and are seeing people improving.

Others do not...

Ok Got off track.

Bottom line..I'm not giving up on Oprah yet.

I have this vision in my head of all of us being in the audience and being able to meet each other for the first time in person.

And of course, being there to hear what some of our favorite doctor's and famous people with lyme have to say.

And hoping we all can do something fun for a change while we are there too to have a day without lyme or close to it.

And a step further with making positive changes towards individuals with lyme.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kam:
I have this vision in my head of all of us being in the audience and being able to meet each other for the first time in person.

And of course, being there to hear what some of our favorite doctor's and famous people with lyme have to say.

Wouldn't THAT be cool! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam, I just LOVE your my glass is 50% FULL attitude all the time! You ARE our inspiration person here on the board!!

I would love to meet you all too! [group hug] [kiss]

Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to get the attention of Oprah.......send her staff the link to the movie Under My Skin.
Advice them that Amy Tan is part of the movie.

I bet that gets their attention.

And by the way, the best way to get attention is to be the squeekiest wheel.......never give up!

Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Everyone,

Maybe you should try Montel Williams as he is much more compassionate and has MS to boot.
He has done many shows on autism and illness and the controversy surrounding these subjects too.
I am orig. from Chicago, Ill. and have met and known folks who have met and or been on Ophra's show and from what I have seen and heard she is not the most open minded person or friendliest either.
I wish there was a group of us that could power up together to get the media attention this deserves. I told my PCP before I was diag. that if I find out what I have I am going to go on that Diag. X or Mystery Diag. show. Do not know if anyone has seen an episode with Lyme on there?
Also not to sound neggative but until more famous people start being affected by this disease it may fall on deaf ears. I have seen the same thing happen with Autism until now many folks like Tony Braxton(famous singer), Doug Flute (football player) and many many many more celebs or influential folks have kids with it, that it has become more important to finding cures and treatments.
I know there are a few famous folks with Lyme that have tried to help but not as many as the above subject and when our kids are involved many more become more passionate about things too.
Ok that is my 2 cents.

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Stacyb - I tried Montel myself, no luck.

Yes, Lyme has been featured in Mystery Diagnosis. There's been a couple of shows in which Lyme has been featured as the mystery illness; Mystery Diagnosis and some other show.

Memory fails me, as always!

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacy
Member # 14497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. Im new to this website but was very happy when i found it! I have been diagnosed with Lyme in the past (During high school) about 6 years ago. I had the antibiotic treatment and intravenous antibiotics. I am very interested in advocating for this terrible disease. I, too, have submitted my lyme disease story to Oprah and Dr. Phil multiple times. So disappointed to not even receive a reply! It would be a great way to get support for this disease. Hopefully one day she will accept our idea!
Posts: 2 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stacy:

Hi everyone. Im new to this website but was very happy when i found it! I have been diagnosed with Lyme in the past (During high school) about 6 years ago.

I had the antibiotic treatment and intravenous antibiotics.

I am very interested in advocating for this terrible disease.

I, too, have submitted my lyme disease story to Oprah and Dr. Phil multiple times. So disappointed to not even receive a reply!

It would be a great way to get support for this disease. Hopefully one day she will accept our idea! /QUOTE]

welcome stacy! WOW, we've got 2 Stacy's now or 3.

SUGGESTION FOR ALL STACY's:
----------------------------

could you put the state you are from after your name Stacy? I know neuro lymies like me with decades of lyme are going to CONFUSE you since we are confused enough already! [lol]

Stacy, we accept! we accept! You want to help with ACTIVISM!!! please go to our ACTIVISM section and start immediately!

1. go to post from pineapple? I think who lists the current status of our LYME BILLS IN CONGRESS, S 1708 AND HR 741 !!

2. check to see YOUR STATE'S SENATORS/HOUSE REPS. HAVE CO-SPONSORED; if not, please start emailing them to sign on, and give them a 1-page lyme story from you.

3. I don't know where Maryland is in pres. primary race...now or later!! BUT go to ALL town hall meetings where both DEM/REP are speaking to all about their platforms.

4. TAKE YOUR LYME LETTERS on how lyme has effected you, ALL OUT OF POCKET EXPENDITURES, LOSING JOBS, DIVORCES, HOMES, FILING FOR BANKRUPTCY, HOMELESS, AND NO INSURANCE !!!!

5. for every pres. candidate PHONE CALL YOU GET, tell them all about your LYME disease and what I stated in no. 4!! answer their comments first but tell them you have something to talk to them about as well; your health concerns.

6. do any radio interviews or newspaper feature articles you can.

7. if you have farmer's markets, etc. where folks meet regular, set up a LYME DISEASE DISPLAY TABLE with:

LDA's ABC'S of lyme brochures;

LDA's TICK CARDS showing actual sizes of ticks;

order PUBLIC HEALTH ALERT newspapers, see www.pha.org; you can order BULK copies of monthly issue or COMBO of older months too! REASONABLE; you pay only for postage; free newspapers!!

I also have a pair of NOIR, no infrared sunglasses there; BROKEN so they don't walk away. Those of us with SUPER SENSITIVITY TO LIGHTS, GLARE, & REFLECTION really like them. I don't go anywhere without mine.

If your state or county has any SUPPORT GROUP FLYERS, have them on table.

I put my original typed LEGAL SIZE brochure paper on LYME GREEN POSTERS, and taped other brochures there for people to get a quick glance at.

ask public library if you can set up a display for ONE MONTH especially if it is enclosed.

NOTE: Our local library recently sent me their new policy; EVERYTHING INCLUDING HANDOUTS have to be locked up inside windows! no card table like I had full last year!

print off my combined 2 LDA brochures where I have typed the CO-INFECTIONS SYMPTOMS & TREATMENTS; you can find that here!

Betty G's LYME/TICK BROCHURE with LDA info plus other stuff from Betty including: lyme books, support groups, lyme/co-infection illnesses, symptoms, diagnosis, treatments, hunting/gardening ... how to dress; how to remove ticks, etc. prints out to 9 pages 2 columns per page!

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045337

8. signing the 2 lyme petitions, and they can be found in newbie package I sent you tonight [Smile]

9. writing newspapers that have published GOOD or INACCURATE INFO ON LYME! they will be posted here on board in activism and medical.

Golly, miss molly; I just couldn't stop but will for now! I've given you enough ideas to start with! lol [lol] [Wink]

So glad you decided to join us and get involved. BIG THANK YOU for wanting to help OUR lyme movement.

Also, read the YANKEE MANAGAZINE detailed article in 07 that in my huge packet of info. Do the EDIT, FIND, and type in yankee magazine. Print that one out; you'll be hopping mad about what's been happening to all of us and our LLMDS, LYME LITERATE MDS! [cussing]

We're NOT forgetting Oprah, Montel, Larry King Live, or anyone else; we'll keep ELBOWING our way into things.

We need MORE CELEBRITIES TO COME out as spokespersons!! [hi]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement