LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Respond to Wormser and Steere's response

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Respond to Wormser and Steere's response
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/health/29lett-LYMEREVISITE_LETTERS.html?oref=slogin

This was in today's Times. It is a response to the very decent article that was written in the Times Health section last week.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Counterculture Ideology?????

That's a new one for them! Darn,
where's my beads and headbands and
peasant skirt?

Since when in H is medicine a culture?

Since when is Bells Palsy and loss of
sensation for months, a part of fatigue or
pain, or a part of an ideology?

What a bunch of jerks.

Numerous studies????? Talk about gross
lies!
[Roll Eyes]

Hopefully there will be a more intelligent
response from ILADS, than my response, and that of IDSA goons.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know.....I responded to that in particular!
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In a time of universal deceit -- telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EPIC FAIL!

seriously--that's the best they can come up with...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
copying this here since it's in TIMESNEWROMAN that runs all words together for me... breaking it up as well..

Lyme Revisited (1 Letter)

Published: July 29, 2008

To the Editor:

``A Threat in a Grassy Stroll: Lyme Disease'' (Personal Health, July 15) blurs the distinctions between evidence-based medicine and a counterculture ideology that ascribes pain and fatigue syndromes to ``chronic Lyme disease.''

Only patients who have the Lyme rash can be confidently given a diagnosis of Lyme disease based on clinical judgment.

If the disease is diagnosed in a patient with later manifestations of the infection in the absence of a positive Lyme antibody test, that individual should seek a second opinion from a provider who practices evidence-based medicine.

Most patients respond well to a two- to four-week course of antibiotic therapy.

Anyone who has been prescribed antibiotic therapy for months on end should seek a second opinion, as numerous controlled trials have failed to show benefit from such extended courses.

Gary P. Wormser, M.D.

Allen C. Steere, M.D.

Dr. Wormser is chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at New York Medical College; Dr. Steere is a professor of medicine at Harvard.

Science Times welcomes letters from readers. Those submitted for publication must include the writer's name, address and telephone number.

E-mail should be sent to [email protected].

Send letters to Science Editor, The New York Times, 620 Eighth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10018.

HOG WASH BIG TIME AGAIN...P.U!!

northstar
Member # 7911

Putting aside the observation that Wormser and Steere cant use the English language appropriately (with thought processes like that, no wonder their science is skewed),

I just realized that Jesus was counterculture.

I just realized that the founding fathers of this country were counterculture, i.e. that's why it's called the American Revolution.

Darn, we are in good company, eh?

Northstar

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Editor,

It is quite interesting to note that Dr. Gary Wormser and Dr. Allen Steere feel that only patients with the Lyme rash can confidently be given a diagnosis of Lyme disease, especially when less than half of the adults with Lyme get a rash and less than 10 percent of children have one.

It is also interesting to note they think anyone with a negative Lyme test, who has been diagnosed with Lyme disease, should get a second opinion from one of their like-minded colleagues; especially after John Hopkins has proven the tests they recommend miss 75 percent of the people who are infected.

After carefully considering this infamous duo's comments, my only question would be- have they recently bought stock in companies selling cemetery plots, or are they still planning to live off profits generated by the unreliable Lyme tests, Lyme-related patents, research grants or the insurance companies consulting fees?

[dizzy]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TINCUP, PRICELESS REPLY!!!! you're one in a million!!

last paragraph you outdid yourself! [group hug] [kiss]

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tinnie, You must also play tennis, cause you served up an ACE!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Touche with an accent over the e, TC!
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to know it wasn't too offensive for you all. I did wonder.

Thanks for the kind words too!

I know it won't be published but it got out my frustrations for the time being.

And I gotta laugh. I am remembering the quote in the newspaper a while back when the Worm, all pitiful and sorry acting, said..

"I don't know why they don't like me."

GIVE ME A BREAK!

My answer is still the same...

Wormser Lies, Patients Die.

Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[bonk] [bow] words of wisdom from our tincup! [group hug] [kiss]
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,

Perfect post....

Love it.....

It speaks volumes.

I had to spend 2 1/2 hrs today battling with Insurance and I guess it somehow makes me feel better knowing that at least someone else out there knows how I feel.

I am so tired of the lies and hope that a tick crawls up into their bed.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[puke]

That's all of my precious time they're getting!!!

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

P.S. Tincup - Awesome last paragraph in your letter to the editor!!! Sure does make you wonder, huh???

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement