LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I'm concerned about a new member

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm concerned about a new member
MissMari
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11274

Icon 9 posted      Profile for MissMari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Everyone,

I haven't heard from biggirl58 since Monday.

Sent PMs and posted here.

She sounded like she was in pretty bad shape in her last PM to me, and had said she had thoughts of killing herself.

I'm really concerned (though I hope over nothing except not feeling well enough to message).

--------------------
The Bite: July 1995
Next 13 years: Treated for things I didn't have
Symptom total: 45
1 faint Lyme IgM May 2000
5 More negative tests
IGeneX says YES! 3/16/09
Finally feel human: 2012

Posts: 120 | From Plainsboro NJ | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, I dunno what to do in this situation, sounds pretty serious. When was her last post?

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MissMari,

Please contact one of the members who has been here a long time, like Tincup or Bettyg. One of them said (don't remember who it was now) that they were really sick (not suicidal, but feeling like death) and LN members were able to track them down and call the police to make sure she was OK.

DO you know if she is living with anyone?? I hope that nothing has happened to her, but you have reason to be concerned.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mari,

GOOD NEWS, i clicked on directory for her name, and she is CURRENTLY ONLINE READING FORUM SUMMARY; hopefully, she will reply to this, but i suggest EDITING subject line and SHOW HER NAME THERE to get her attention ok!!

just click on pencil, 3rd box to right of your name in 1st post!! then you can show her name there.

yes, it was ME; who lymenet members tracked down when i had a major herx ONLINE her while posting
!! good luck! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss, it could be she is signed on but away from the computer or the computer is asleep while she is away.

Have you tried sending her a PM? If you click on names of those signed on under medical you can send her a message. Then maybe she will answer, so you don't have to worry about her.

I hope she is ok. Sometimes we just don't want to talk or chat, just read????

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I know it may seem well intentioned - but the suggestion for calling the police to make sure she was OK could backfire.

I would take that as an invasion of privacy and it could do a lot of harm to her reputation in her neighborhood - and be very embarrassing ( and maybe even have her name in a police record) - all from sharing her feelings on a bulletin board.

Sending a PM is nice to show concern but, at this point, going beyond that could have boomerang effects.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would never, ever call the police on somebody that isn't family....

whoa, i think that's setting somebody up for a law suit or something.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I wasn't suggesting that she call the police, I meant that in Betty's case, they were able to track her down. They called the police or anbulance or something to check on her.

No, I was definitely not saying to call the police, just that they may be able to help her find a way to contact her is all, since she had reason to be concerned.

Unless I had a specific reason to call the police, I would never ever. Like for instance if someone I KNEW told me that they were going to kill themself tonight and I knew they were serious. Then I would intervene. I should have just mentioned the part about tracking her down. I was tired (always am) and not thinking how my post may be interpreted.

Bettyg, good work for figuring out how to find out if she was on. I knew someone would know how to do something!!!

Ocean

--------------------

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone get ahold of her yet?

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i checked her profile; she's logged off now.

yes, she may have been away from her pc BRIEFLY or lymenet will LOG HER OFF after a certain amount of time.

yes, i've learned many things here.

when a member called the police dept. here ... they asked to do a home check to see how i was feeling; 2 came; both young GOOD-LOOKING guys in their 20s.

Ocean
Member # 3496

Bettyg,

I see....so it was perfectly fine with you to have these young men come to ensure you were ok [Wink]

--------------------

MissMari
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissMari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I still have nothing.

Last PM I got was last Monday night. I have continued to PM her and also there's another post on here to attract her attention but no answers.

I want to err on the safe side, but also don't want to invade anyone's privacy ----

I'm just hoping that she will read some of this and just post or message SOMETHING even if it's just a few words.

--------------------
5 More negative tests
IGeneX says YES! 3/16/09

Posts: 120 | From Plainsboro NJ | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

ocean, YOU BET it was ok for me that the police came to check up on me!! i could have been home alone on floor and no phone within reach, and neither of us have things around our neck to push for help...goes to local hospital!!

ocean, to me it showed lymenet members cared enough to make sure i was ok! i'd rather have it that way then no one gives a darn attitude.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

A while back I tried to call an elderly aunt who lived 3,000 miles away - for days and weeks. Her phone then was disconnected. I simply wanted to find out if she had moved.

Having no other contact for her, I called her church office and they did not call back. I called the non-emergency police number there just to see if there was a way I could find out if a property had been sold or vacated.

They simply said: "Hey, we're not busy right now, how about if we just take a drive over and see if she's okay?"

I said "sure."

My aunt called soon afterward and she was absolutely LIVID. She screamed at me that I had caused her much embarrassment among her neighbors and to have the police there was a disgrace to her.

I can't say that she overreacted because this was her experience.

I sent an "I'm sorry" card and explained how this came about and that I was concerned. She did not reply and has not yet to this day.

I blew it for failing to take into account the ramifications and her interpretation of having police show up at her door.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, Betty said:

yes, she may have been away from her pc BRIEFLY or lymenet will LOG HER OFF after a certain amount of time.

I just want to let u know, FWIW, that I have been logged on, almost continually, for the past week.

And I have been asleep for many chunks of that time.

Unless I "clear private data" or sign off the internet or restart my machine, I stay logged on to Lymenet.

So, it's definitely possible to be logged on and not actually be using the computer for very long times.

I hope she's OK.

Has anyone posted a thread with her user name on all 5 of the forum boards?

-Sharon
P.S. Keebler, what a terrible story. It's too bad that she took that out on you. You had no way to know....

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissMari
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissMari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BIGGIRL58 IS OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
5 More negative tests
IGeneX says YES! 3/16/09

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zippity do dah!

I'm so relieved!

Thanks for letting us know!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement