LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » How to keep deer away??? I know, its been rehearsed so many times...sorry, one last

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to keep deer away??? I know, its been rehearsed so many times...sorry, one last
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the area between my yard and my neighbors is a thoroughfare. Partially because my neighbor is an avid gardner and quite ignorant.

If she will not stop enticing the deer with her vegetation, how can I reroute them, atleast to the other side of her yard?

This is unbelievable.

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read of something simple and easy to repel deer out of yards and be darn I cant remember what it was!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh please keep thinking.......
Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
""Partially because my neighbor is an avid gardner and quite ignorant.""

I doubt the neighbor wants them eating her/his hard work.

""If she will not stop enticing the deer with her vegetation,how can I reroute them, atleast to the other side of her yard?""

If the houses are fairly new, this may have been a natural route for the deer and you aren't going to change it to easily.

If there are new housing developements in your are, that may have caused them to find new route to fav feeding places.

Several things I have tried to keep them out of my garden & yard are:

1. You can scatter bars of strong perfumed soap in your yard.And tie some in low hanging branches.

2. Fabric softener dryer sheets tied on stakes and low tree branches.

3. Got to a barber shop or hair salon and ask them for the hair trimmings. scatter them on and near this trail.

4. Install a high fence {Stockade or chain link, abt 15 ft tall} on your side of the yard. OR get a few strands of solar powered electric fence installed around your whole yard.

5.Go to a sporting goods store, buy several bottles of Coyote urine and apply to the area.

(Keep in mind, all but the fencing need to be re-done , every few days. Time, energy and expense involved.)

6. Look on line to see what kinds of plants and shrubs there are, that will actually repell deer.

7. There are things in gardening mags/or on line, that emit high pitched sounds to scare them off.{ I don't know if these really work.}

Hope something helps. Good luck.

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are such a nightmare. Hard to believe in my younger days I thought they were a cute novelty.

We have not found one thing that works consistently except a fence. It needs to be tall so they won't make the effort to jump over it.

My husband sprays DeerOff on our best shrubs and flowers near the house, but it wears off after a few days and definitely after a rain. Not at all practical.

A fence is the only permanent, effective solution. Unfortunately it can be prohibitively expensive. We don't have one b/c of that. [Frown]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jt345
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

Try Dial soap. Hang them around where they cross. I am a hunter and everytime I have used dail soap.deer have winded me,and spooked. Also make sure You keep the grass trimmed around any birdfeeders You might have.(birds also carry the deer tick) Keep a close eye out for mice. From what I have read and seen,rodents are the first animals too supply the first meal for these little friends of ours. Deer ticks live very close too the ground. You can,t get much closer than mice when it comes too contact.

jt345
appleseed

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks Dakota.

Our neighborhood is over 20 years old. I do have an attitude with her as she has made her opinion clear as to where my swingset should be placed om my yard relative to her view, and other little smug comments as I have tried to befriend her.

She strikes me as someone who has all the answers.

I will surely try your ideas. I wish I knew if that high pitched device worked, that's what I was thinking about.

Lelee I have someone come and spray for ticks twice a year, but I do question how effective that is after it rains a few times. I know it sure isn't cheap. Wow, remind me to chose his profession in my next life.

Thanks also JT it means alot coming from a hunter. Also, thanks for hunting. I spoke to a Ph.D today in the Health Science dept at Ball State university. He sent me some articles I need to figure out how to put on Lymenet for us Hoosiers.

He suggested something I never heard before. What are your thoughts. He said that Indiana isn't looking to erradicate the infection in the tick with any toxic feeders or infertility traps because there has been no push to reduce the deer population.

He seemed to say that if we eradicate the deer there will no longer be the sport of hunting for generations to come. I've always seen the hunter as my hero, not an excuse to resolve the deer population. I didn't know how to process that point of view except to ask if you hear this advocacy in your social circles.

I will try the bars of dial on my yard where the path is. I'm sure that will look weird as heck, but perhaps the start of a meaningful conversation with my neighbor-

Thanks Again Friends,

2roads

2roads
Member # 4409

typo....not an excuse not to resolve the deer population. He seemed to say it would be a disappointment to the hunting community so we need to keep the deer prevalence in play.
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i lived in nys i tied dial soap on string and hung it around perimeter of yad and it worked...i had a little yd tho

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jt345
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Roads

Well as I said before. Deer are only part of the problem. Birds geese,rodents squirrels all carry deer ticks.

In Wi. we have cut our deer herd down considerably. But most of the cases I run into have never set a foot in the woods. Mostly gardeners,people who have bird feeders,tame squirrels. People who have wooded areas next to their lawns.

The biggest thing I see is when they mow they leave an area for naturel flowers and pretty weeds(prime areas for deer ticks. In the fall instead of burning the leaves They pile them in the garden. So in the spring they wade through them as they till the leaves into the soil. That's asking too get bit. deer ticks love leaf litter. larva and nymph ticks thrive there.

So as long We cotinue too live in tick areas and do not take precations when we venture out in those areas ,lyme will continue too spread.

I worked in the woods and on grassy log landings,And I never took any precautions to protect myself.I never gave lyme a second thought

So I really don't put all the blame on the deer.The ticks name is deer tick. So it is natureral to blame the deer soley for the spread of lyme. when in reality( in my humble opion). We are the cause of the spread of lyme by not being informed,and taking precations. But again I am a victim of living on a broken and imperfect planet,as we all are.

If we educate people,and if the mainstream ducks would stop smelling their behinds,I think the problem would slowly improve. But I am no expert nor a doctor,I can only speak too which I know is trueth too me.
jt345
(appleseed) P.S. deer love apples,so if I was too sit under an apple tree with unkept grasses around it,chances are I would walk away with a tick or two. Not because deer come to the tree for apples,but because I sat in the tall grass and invaded the ticks home rage. They would be there even if the deer never came near that tree.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JT said~~ "In the fall instead of burning the leaves They pile them in the garden."~~

I think you are right abt this! For years people burned leaves and some farmers burned off thier fields and then replanted them. Now the land is sold off and houses are planted.

BUT here in NJ, burning leaves has been against the law for the last 40 years, so we have no choice but to compost them. They call it air pollution. I live in what used to be, the country part of the state.

Part of the problem is, the deer are smart. The deer hang out right next to the houses come hunting season, where the hunters can't get them.

Some towns have helped create the deer & tick problems, by mandating 2-10 acre blocks of property. People can't clear it all & mow it all for lawn.

Now ,it is common here, for the deer to have twin births EVERY year, so they reproduce faster than the hunters can thin them out.

As JT mentioned, the deer can smell all the chemicals on the hunters clothes, or food or coffee they carry, long before they see them, and bolt off. Non- hunters don't think of this.

2Roads,
I wish you alot of luck with that neighbor!! I have one of those too , but about other things.

Your yard won't look any stranger than mine, when I had all the white fabric softener sheets all over the place...lol. Some people have that orange plastic snow fencing, around thier yards.

Groundhogs,raccoons,opossums, squirrels,& deer, they are all rats. I scare them off when I see them.

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a paint ball gun. Works like a charm.

Teaches most deer not to want to come back to the area.

[Smile]

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[lol]

Calico deer.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks Everyone.

Had some health issues and was bedridden, hence the delay.

My husband did do some of that leaf spreading around you mention jt. I was not happy...I called it laziness.

He raked it up two weeks ago thank goodness, but I'm sure it created quite the thriving habitat for the ticks.

Dakota, we can get lawn bags here in Indiana and they come and haul it off. I really don't know where it goes, but I know my husband would. I hope not to the landfills....I don't think so.

I can see me now with my fabric sheets blowing, sticks in the ground with soap bars on them and the neighboring trees, with a bandana around my head and a paint ball gun in hand...just call me Ramba. [tsk] [woohoo]

Hey I could kill two birds with one stone...get rid of the deer and my neighbor...I like it.

I know yard management is very important, and other little rodents pose a problem, but I can't get over the satistic that Burrascano said which was that one deer carries several hundred ticks, and one tick has several thousand little ones. [dizzy]

2roads

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement