LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Fasiculations, atrophy and weight loss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fasiculations, atrophy and weight loss
Chris55
Member # 19019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I am really scared after seeing a neurologist last week and he is suggesting ALS as I have atrophy of my hand muscles along with fasiculations in my hands, arms and upper body. I ahve alos lost quite a lot of weight and have become weaker over the last year.

Has anyone else experienced thase symptoms?
I had a positeve IgM last July for Lyme.

Posts: 4 | From Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris..

..Are you on any treatment now? Check this

www.lymephotos.com

www.humaworm.com

go to symptom list. Have you been dx with Lyme by LLMD? Parasites and Worms play a MAJOR role in Lyme disease.

I was dx in 1999 and had severe neuro symptoms along with lesions. The neurologist I saw didn't have a clue and dismissed the lesions on my brain.

Since treating the parasites I have made great gains and am at the 80-90% mark after being misdiagnosed for over 25yrs.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris,

I hope that you are treating for lyme if you were IgM positive! Also consider supplementing with Ledum along with lyme treatment.

Lyme/ALS patients ahve done well when supplementing with Ledum.

Do a search here for some old posts by Californialyme on Lyme/ALS

Thinking of you,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shelly23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelly23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chris how old are you, go to an ALS clinic

--------------------
Shelly
~ IGM~Positive
CDC Positive
23-25 +
31+++
34++
41+

I am a Dreamer, Believer, and Conquer; I will overcome this disease !!!

Posts: 382 | From Alabama Via PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shelly23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelly23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also do you have any other symptoms...

--------------------
Shelly
~ IGM~Positive
CDC Positive
23-25 +
31+++
34++
41+

I am a Dreamer, Believer, and Conquer; I will overcome this disease !!!

Posts: 382 | From Alabama Via PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris,
I have experienced the same symptoms.
Fasciculations - arms, upper body; occasional.
(numbness, tingling, other neuro symptoms, too)
Muscle Atrophy - all over; mainly left side.
Weight Loss - went from avg. to underweight.
(no diabetes or thyroid probs.)

Now, after treating for a few months, the weight has been stable - I may have even gained 2 or 3 lbs.
The muscles are still weak - I have had lyme for years and some damage has been done. This will take some time.
Fasciculations - rare to never.

For ME, ALS was never a concern. As Shelly suggested, it is a good idea to explore all aspects of your symptoms and find out what your particular issues are.

Then you can get the treatment you need.

...Again, to answer your question...
Yes, I have experienced similar symptoms and do not have ALS.

Good luck [Smile]

Carly.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris55
Member # 19019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your responses. [Smile]
I am seeing a LLMD in MO, but I do not feel he is aggressive enough in his treatment protocol. He only uses one abx at a time.

Feelfit, how do I do a search of postings? Every time I go to sitesearch I get an error page from windows.

I saw another Dr in MO who saw cysts and flagella under a dark field mocroscope and he has changed my supplements a bit and is caring enough to call to see how I am doing.

My Igenex IgM was 18 ++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 41++,

The IgG was 39 IND and 41++.

I have been on abx since July, plus a month of Doxy back in May when I did feel a bit better then got worse the third week, but the LLMD did not put me back on them but onto Ceftin.
I don;t feel I have really herxed except for some minor fevers at night, and my weakness and balance problems have progressed.

I am using Venus Fly Trap and OLE and will be on OO soon as well as Samento and CUmaunda. I am going to try IV Claforin for 2 more weeks to see if it did help, I have had it for 6 weeks and have hsd a break since Saturday.

The fasiculations are mainly upper extremity but I can feel them in my torso at night sometimes and in my legs (crawling sensation.) The atrophy is in my hands between the thumb and first finger, started on the left now begun on the right.

I have other symptoms including the weight loss,(45 #) short term memory loss, hair loss, abdominal wall and rib pain, increased eye floaters, fatigue, brian fog at times, nasal and throat stuffiness, tingling in my feet , heel pain, and many more. Some have improved with treatment but the neuro damage seems to be relentless and it is this that has me worried.

I am getting an EMG next month and a nerve conduction test so it will be interesting to see what they find, I am going to ask for a new MRI or PET scan as the last one I had done was a year ago and at the start of my symptoms.

Oh yeah, Shelly I am 53, so for the neuros I am the right age for ALS. What they don't do though is look outside the box and have so little knowledge of Lyme and it's treatment. He wanted me to stop all of my meds and supplements as "they could hurt me" though he gave no reason why!

Thanks again

Chris [group hug]

Posts: 4 | From Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcoLyme08
Member # 17650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcoLyme08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had severe muscle atrophy (lower limbs), 35 lbs. weight loss, muscle spasms and seizure-like activity.

My EMG and Nerve Conduction Studies were not consistent with ALS, but did show nerve damage, with demeylinating features.

I was put on IVIG, with no success.

So far, I've been on severe IV abx. for about a year, with no improvement, but I haven't gotten worse either.

I am praying that you do not have ALS.

God bless.

Posts: 27 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement