LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Important Update From Columbia University

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Important Update From Columbia University
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw my LLMD today and we discussed many things but for now i wanted to pass along that she told me that Columbia University had indentfied the Lyme strain/surface protein that causes Chronic Lyme. She was emphatic about this news.

She expects testing for this strain to be available in weeks!!!! I checked the website and this news is not published yet. My doctor would have an inside track as she supported this research and had candidates blood drawn at her office.

Stands to reason if you can isolate the strain than a more narrow scope of research for a cure can be conducted. More to follow ...but she fully excepcts the test to be available by my next visit in October.

Keep the Faith,

Dave

[ 08-29-2009, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: DaveNJ ]

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

That is great news. Now, I hope it translate to a cure for us real soon!

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, thanks for posting!
Please keep us updated.

Best to you,
dawn

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! That is fabulous news, even if there is not yet a cure...this is HUGE.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad this information did not come out before the IDSA hearings on July 30. My guess is that this news could have drastically changed how the guidelines are written.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just another step towards the truth...i'm sure the IDSA will say no such strain exists...none the less.....

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Ugh, you are probably right. How horrifying! I just hope it gets to the point where the truth cannot be ignored any longer. Thank goodness for Columbia, for not believing all the rhetoric.
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Brian Fallon from Columbia was at the hearings...no worries...he is the lead researcher.

--------------------

seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait to hear more Dave. Thanks for the news.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, good job...lets hope things can move along
and people can get the proper help....Madge

--------------------
madgen

Posts: 342 | From newjersey | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave-

Is there any word as to which lab will be offering this test?

Do you know if this new test can help those of us who are seronegative? ( I have only band 41, despite the bulls eye, symptoms and no early treatment)

Thanks!

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Kitty,

no more detail than that...but i will bring this question back when i see her next. i would have to say that it makes sense that the answer may be yes. Many of us tested negative becasue labcorp and quest do not test every strain. Of course there are other reasons people test negative.

Nowing my doctors relationship with MDL i would say thats a good bet....more to follow though.

Dave

--------------------

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dave-

My doc also sends some tests to MDL. He did my PCR's there for 4 strains after getting the negative Igenex WB.

~Kitty

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AWESOME!

Hope for better diagnosis and treatment is always good for a big ole smile! Thanks for sharing Dave.

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Do you know if there are any published documents from Columbia for the public to see showing this Lyme strain/surface protein that causes Chronic Lyme????

Anything that we can point to, to make our case if you know what I mean???? Can't wait to be able to use this as proof to show that Chronic Lyme exists.

Thanks

PS if this is true, I don't see how the IDSA will be able to keep saying it does not exist. Especially if Columbia releases the strain"Proof" to other research facilities or scientists and they confirm it. Can't wait for the confirmation. Science is science after all and they will not be able to keep side stepping around that fact. =)

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is interesting .If we can get reliable test that would be first step for reliable cure.

I am curious though how they identified that its that particular strain is the only one which causes chronic lyme

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, thank you for this info!! And who says the Idsa ruling has to be set in stone. The proof is in the pudding.
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Folks,

from what i was told information will be released in a matter of weeks. i had a similar thought which is that if they identify a strain then the IDSA is shot to hell..

i now realize there are many questions but i couldn't keep this info to myself...even if its limited. all i can say is the source is reliable and in the inner circle at Columbia. The fact that Fallon used her office to draw blood tells you how well connected she was.

i really think the reason she told me was she was so excited she could not keep it to herself. if you knew this doctor you would know how out of character that is for her.

Dave

--------------------

trishden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trishden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave,
That sounds like great news although my LLMD who also works very closely with Columbia,(she just sent my son there a week ago for a Spect brain scan), says there are over 300 srains of Lyme. It's hard to think that only one strain causes chronic disease. Back in 1994 when I first got Lyme she thinks it was a European strain, eventhough I think I got it in South Jersey. Because I didn't have a bullseye but a bruise like lump on my ankle bone, she called that a lymphocytoma which is a collection of lymphacytes around the bacteria. Now we think it's back although I didn't test positive and I also have CFS (ebv, parvo, cmv, hhv6) and Fibromyalgia. Please keep us posted and I will be asking my LLMD about the news too. Thanks!

Posts: 305 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does this news relate to what we usually hear about, which is that there are approximately 100 strains in the US and 300 worldwide?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Robin, Trish,

No anser to that other than my undertaing is there are 100 strains but only very few that cause chronic Lyme. That is what they are targeting.

More to follow.

Dave

--------------------

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dave for posting. Look forward to hearing more, hopefully they will publish this too.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Are you sure this wasn't related to the Rheumatism/ Arthritis Study they were working on or some other study????

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone,

Unfortunately I don't think it's the news we wish it was.

The IDSA's position is that no one can show that lyme continues to be an active infection since it can't be cultured from someone after treatment.

Therefore, they will continue to argue that those with symptoms and anti-bodies, after the length of time tx of THEIR guidelines, have POST LYME SYNDROME (an A-I problem). Or are mentally ill.

This discovery does nothing to address this foundation of their position. They can merely acknowledge a sub-species.

The day someone can actually culture an active spirocete in a host AFTER treatment, the IDSA will crap on itself.

That would be proof that infection persists after treatment, and then we can all get to starting our class-action lawsuits! [Wink]

But, it's great that Columbia continues research!

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are quite a few microbes that cannot be cultured, so that position is a rather stupid one. But it is not news to anyone here that the IDSA takes stupid positions.

I would be wondering if a test will work for such a strain in people whose immune system is no longer producing antibodies to lyme, for various reasons. Will this be an antibody test? How will the fish in the sea situation with PCR make it possible to reliably detect this strain of lyme? And what about lyme being tissue trophic, thereby reducing the chances of finding it in blood tests?

Lots of questions here. Guess we will have to wait to get answers.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

True to what James said, in a way....(though I agree with what lou said too that not everything can be cultured)

...but even if the IDSA doesn't recognize this, maybe it will lead to other advances down the road that ILADS physicians can utilize? That would be my hope.

Wasn't there also something about band 31 being the "chronic" band? I wonder if this is along the same lines as what that "chronic band" tells us.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement