LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » We have lost our dear friend Charlie Bradley (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: We have lost our dear friend Charlie Bradley
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often talked with Charlie in chat, after everyone else had gone.

I could tell that he wasn't well, even as he was insisting that he was getting better.

About a month ago, I asked him if there was anything I could do, and he said, "Just be there."

When I read Maddog's post, about fifteen minutes after he wrote it, I cried.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG:
[QB] Charlie hated snow.

So I allways E Mailed him pictures of snow caped mountains,the north pole,my samurai sitting in a snow drift,the house covered in snow,I would lay in the snow and make snow angles and send him a picture ,ect..

His reactions just tickled me to no end.

I never could get him to go to the Snowy range in Wyoming?

MADDOG

That's so funny, MADDOG! I can just imagine his reaction!!

Don... you are so right.. we were touched by an angel!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol,
Your post made me cry. It shows so clearly what a special relationship you and Charlie had. For him to say "just be there" is a lot coming from him. He was always there for everyone else. I never heard him ask for anyone to be there for him. Wow.

I'm so, so glad you were there for him. I miss so terribly I've literally had an aching heart since he died. It physically aches. I don't even think the shock has set in yet.

It really hasn't....thank God we have each other. This is a huge, huge loss to all of us. I still just can't imagine our world without Charlie in it.

It's Christmas Eve and all I want to do is go in a corner somewhere and wail my heart out....I've just been holding it in because of the kids, the holidays, but it has to come out soon.

Damn you, Charlie, for leaving us....then there's that part, too.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missy - thanks for coming on here to say hi to everyone. We are all thinking of you and your family.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 2 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! I can't believe it!

I'm so, so sorry that Charlie has passed on.

Jenny, Missy and the rest of the family, please accept my heart felt condolences.

Jenny, I met you and Charlie in Kentucky at one of the Lymefloats.

Wish that we could have spent more time together.

I remember just this July that Charlie had offered some help for me as I traveled down there to San Antonio for some medical treatment.

He offered me a place to stay.

Now, even though I'm almost 50, I don't know too many folks who would open their homes to someone needing medical treatment.

Charlie was one though.

In fact almost any contact I did have with you guys was always uplifting.

I'm truly honored to have known Charlie.

My prayers are with all Charlie's family and friends. [group hug]

Joann

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6147 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brianbradley
Member # 23751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brianbradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All,

I'm Charlie's son Brian.

This is difficult to type, but I feel I need to do it.

It's Christmas Eve and my Father has passed on.

The depth of my sorrow is immeasurable.

I'm sitting here trying not to feel sorry for myself.

I worry about Jenny, she was the love of my father's life.

I worry about my sister, she didn't get a chance to say goodbye.

Selfishly, I worry about myself. Will I take the best from him and embrace it, embody it and live it, and will I take the lesser of him and learn from it? I hope so - I owe it to my family and I owe it to him.

I got to his house on Sunday afternoon and sat with him through the afternoon and evening. I told Jenny to get some sleep and I would stay up with him as she had been caring for him for months and it was taking a toll on her.

My Dad and I talked for a long time. Some of our conversation was deep, some of it was levitious. Most of it was substantive and personal. We tried watching the Big Lebowski, but it irritated the **** out of him. It turned him off. I turned it off. I held his hand. I scratched his back. I listened to him. He listened to me. He told me he was proud of me, he told me he loved me, he told me he loved my sister and he told me he was going to fight this because he couldn't leave Jenny, my sister and I behind.

I'm not ready to share some of the things we talked about - hopefully I'll be able to share them with you in the future. You all were his 2nd family and I appreciate the love and fellowship that you gave him.

He had a difficult fight and never gave up. He was courageous through the end.

He didn't die alone - I was with him - and he was loved by so many and knew it.

Maddog, you we're the one I knew I had to call and you would get the word out. I thank you for your friendship with my parents - you mean/meant an awful lot to them. You were the only one I had ever had a conversation with so you were the chosen one to share the news. I'm sorry it had to be you, but you rose to the occasion.

The rest of you, I thank you for being there for my Dad and letting him be there for you.

If anyone here want's to trade anecdotes about my Dad, feel free to email me. My email is [email protected].

Thank you all for the forum that you gave my father. By letting him help you - you were all helping him.

Brian

Posts: 5 | From Flower Mound Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian, I am so glad you had a chance to say good bye to your dad. Some of us don't get that chance, as with your sister, and it's tough.

Keeping his memory alive will help though, so do that in whatever ways you can and you will honor him in that way.

Sending hugs to all your family at this difficult time.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian. Thank you for coming on here and sharing his last days with us. I didn't know he was that ill.

A year or two ago, he mentioned he was going to travel to meet a few of us to the West. He was going to see Joe Ham in New Mexico, then swing by and see me in AZ.

Joe Ham is no longer with us, then Charlie got sick.

I just wanted to take him back to Black Canyon city and eat some pie in the Rock Springs Cafe.

Later. I would like to email you.

Sorry this Christmas is painful. I have had losses around Christmas time, and you walk through it numb, or you forget it all together.

Don't forget it. He wouldn't want you to. He knew you all loved him. I could tell by who he was that he felt loved.

Kelmo

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missy and Brian,

Thank you for coming on here. I'm so sorry for your loss. If I could give you a big hug right now, I would.

I'm glad Charlie was surrounded by such a loving family. That is a true blessing. He was very
fortunate to have so many that loved him, especially the love of those closest to him, you.

You guys will be in my thoughts. I have no doubt your father's legacy lives on through the people here that he was able to help, and the people here who were lucky to know him as a person.

I remember the first night I met him on Lymechat, he gave me SO much information. He was someone who had obviously made a lot of progress, and he stayed very late, answering many of my questions.

At that point I had already been treating Lyme for years, but was still pretty ill. I had never heard of Bactrim, and so I was feverishly taking notes on everything he said.

I was very inspired. Not only by his improvement, but by how he had taken matters into his own hands, to get better. Based on his recommendation, I pushed really hard to get Bactrim, because it wasn't a favorite of my doctor. I'm SO glad I did. It was one of the most effective antibiotics I've ever taken. It cleared up my very foggy brain to the point that I now feel like I'm living in my own head again. This is all because of your father.

I have no doubt that if I would have never met him, I would have never tried that drug, and I would still be VERY frustrated. This just gives you an idea of the small ways one person can change someone's life, just after one meeting. My family is overjoyed to see how much progress I've made cognitively.

There are people that have improved with treatment that don't care to take the time to help others, and then there are people like your father.

But saying all that about how helpful/inspiring he was seems to diminish the most important thing your father had to offer, which was his friendship. Little did I suspect the first night I spoke with him about Bactrim, that he would become one of my favorite online friends. Honestly, I think Charlie must have been EVERYONE'S favorite.

There were nights that I would literally be sitting at the computer, laughing out loud, despite having a very rough day. The things he would come up with! Just the most witty responses to things. And such a warm spirit.

Just wanted to thank you for sharing him with us....I'm sure we were able to make him smile, but I think we were the lucky ones, for having him there with us. I'm sure he knew how much we appreciated him, because it wasn't often that he would log on without a chorus of people shouting, "CHARLIEEEEE!!!!! How are you????"

Everyone was always glad to see him. And he seemed to be a very happy, content person. A lot of us tend to be moody or grouchy from the illness (myself included), but Charlie always seemed to radiate sunshine. So I know you guys must have made him happy, because it would be hard to be that happy without a good home life.

Thought you might want to check out his Lyme Friends page at some point if you haven't already. You will need to register to see it, I think, unless Tracy can work something of her magic.

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/charlie

And here is a page on Lyme Friends with some more tributes to him:

http://www.lymefriends.com/forum/topics/our-lyme-friend-charlie-is?
id=2863167%3ATopic%3A134050&page=-1#comments

I broke it in half so it wouldn't stretch this page out too much, but hopefully you can paste the address back together by using "copy" and "paste."

(EDIT: I don't think those links work anymore...Lyme friends can now be found at: http://www.lymefriends.ning.com.

To find charlie's profile, click "Members" and type in "charlie".)

You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Devin

[ 01-03-2010, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Hoosiers51 ]

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny,

thinking of you this morning.

and Missy and Brian (sorry, didn't see the post from you Brian until today)

[ 12-26-2009, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Brian. You will do fine following in your Dad's footsteps! I can tell!!

Hugs and love to your family.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missy and Brian, thank you for your words. Your father was so much fun to chat with online, and you can see he meant a lot to many of us. He always had a positive attitude and humor to share with everyone.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it sounds like he was a very nice man. i wish i could have known him.

i'm sure he's deeply missed.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missy and Brian
Thanks for posting it is good to hear from you two.
Brian thanks for the call to let me know.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maddog- just sent you a PM
Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
db
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for db     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up in the same town where Charlie lived. When I came to Lymenet in '01 Charlie made me feel right at home. Those first months of searching for an answer and then going through the abx treatment, the herxing, made it essential to have a place like Lymenet to come. Someone like Charlie made things lighter and kept me sane. We talked on the phone a couple of times. Thank you, Charlie, for your kindness and your support. To Charlie's family I send my deepest condolences. He was a good man and will be missed. I lost my Mom two years ago. Healing from a loss like this takes time. Please know I keep you all in my prayers. ~db
Posts: 153 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie was a great, funny guy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I did not know Charlie personally, I want to add my prayers for the family. I always enjoyed reading his posts.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it Charlie who called coffee enimas "reverse lattes"? He was so funny.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hee hee, I think so.

And I remember he also used to say that for him, "Salt/C" was a Margarita with salt on the rim. (the lime was the Vit C)

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iam so sorry Carol geez.
This brings tears to my eyes.
God bless and keep him.
And Comfort his Family Carol.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just reading this for the first time and am very, very saddened.... and shocked. Charlie was one of my Lyme Chat buddies but I haven't been there in a very long time. He was so funny on chat and ALWAYS made me laugh... hard.... out loud. My husband would have to come downstairs sometimes to see what was so funny and it made him smile to know that at least my lyme friends could make me laugh, and that they 'got it' unlike other people.

I will miss him and he and my other chat friends have a special place in my heart.

Charlie, may you rest in peace.

Jenny, Missy, Brian - my heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you.

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeLearned
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeLearned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry everyone! A little out of the loop, I can't say I had connected with him because I was dipping in and out of here too much. I regret this now.

I'm so sorry for his wife and family, and for each of us who has lost another dear one.

My heartfelt condolences.

Suz [group hug] [Frown]

--------------------
"SEVEN LYME FACTS THAT COULD HAVE SAVED ME" VISIT ME AT:

http://www.youtube.com/TickedOffLiterally

Posts: 183 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is such sad news. I had the priviledge of spending a week with Charlie, Jenny and Maddog a few years ago. We had such a good time together.

All I can say is he was such a great guy. Once you met him it was like he was an old friend and I can say the same about Jenny and of course, Maddog.

He will be greatly missed. Jenny and family, my sincere condolences. My heart goes out to you. Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Connie

Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by imanurse:

I will miss him and he and my other chat friends have a special place in my heart.

Ima, he really enjoyed talking to you.
Especially when you had a hot flash. [Big Grin]

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Lyme Friends web address has changed, and you can now reach it by using:

http://www.lymefriends.ning.com

If you would like to find charlie's profile, just click "Members" and type in "charlie".

The links from my previous post probably don't work anymore.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement