LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lyme and Bicillin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and Bicillin
mcpny
Member # 24689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcpny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Lyme Dr. after many years of being undiagnosed . He prescibed bicillin shots. I got them when I was on Medicaid but now that I work and have health insurance they won't pay for the prescription. Any one have any suggestions how to get the bicillin covered or where to but it at a reduced cost? I can hardly afford the medicine that is covered. [group hug]  -
Posts: 4 | From ny | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome mcpny...

I am posting your link in the Medical Section in hopes someone there will share a source for the Bicillin. I know it can be had much cheaper than what you probably have found... so maybe someone will respond soon.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone just told me they bought biccillin from a pharmacy in Spain and cost was MUCH less than here.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you checked the ivaluepharmacy.com? They are offering lyme patients special pricing for IV balls so they may have others too.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the stuff from Spain is the same drug but it's not pre-mixed like bicillin. It's a powdered penicillin and sterile water in separate vials, and you have to mix them. the powder can clog a syringe sometimes. It's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper- I haven't had any luck pricing it yet but others have said that it's something like $5 a vial and that pharmamondo (farmamondo?) in Switzerland is one of the places to get it. Extencilin is one of the brands. I might be spelling it wrong.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
extencillin is what I tried, but found it clogged way too much. It was from spain but dont recall the pharmacy..
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My insurance co. rep gave me a tip -- bicillin was not on the list of covered drugs on my pharmacy coverage, but they said that because it was being administered in a Dr's office, it was coverable under medical benefits as opposed to pharmacy benefits. I used to bring my bicillin in to my primary care's office and they did the injections for me, even though it was my LLMD that prescribed it.
Posts: 227 | From South of the North Pole | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extencillin(e?) is one brand of the 'right' kind of powdered penicillin identical to Bicillin in terms of the active drug but not in the pre-mixed form. Here's a page listing a lot of other manufacturers of it. A lot of overseas pharmacies list it:
http://drugs-about.com/ing/benzathine-benzylpenicillin.html

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

quote:
Originally posted by merrygirl:
extencillin is what I tried, but found it clogged way too much. It was from spain but dont recall the pharmacy..

Also- I think merry and I talked on Chat one night and it sounded like she was using a smaller needle than some of the powdered penicillin users (I might be thinking of a different lymenet/chat person), so there might be better luck with a 19 gauge needle. Am I remembering right, Merrygirl?

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mexico. Go to any Mexican border town and they are loaded with farmacias for american drug tourists. I have done this a few times now. You can buy Benzathine Penicillin or "Benzatina Bencilpenicilina" 1.2 MU everywhere. It has many names, generic or brand name. I like the generic brand GI which is only 3ml to shoot instead of 5ml like some generics. It ranges from $1 to 3$ but is usually about $2 US for a shot.

It's cheaper for me to fly from Victoria Canada to San Diego, get a hotel for a night, and bus/walk into Tijuana and buy a (legal) 3 month stock and fly home than it is for me to visit and American LLMD, and then buy my meds in the States.

ordering online is a good way too but I like to get my stuff in hand.

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I know, but there are lots of reputable online pharmacies from Europe (or elsewhere) where you can order something like extencilin without having to go on a trip.

I've seen it on some sites, it just doesn't come up on pharmacychecker.com as one of the drug options, so I haven't personally pursued it fully yet. I know the prices I saw were all really low.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

MariaA
Member # 9128

Does anyone have leftover topical numbing cream they'd be willing to send? I have Extencillin on hand and am supposed to be using it, but I accidentally got injectible lidocaine rather than the topical numbing cream, and can't afford to get the right product right now.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In some states in Europ 50 vials of Extencilin 1.2 Mil you can get it for 5-7 Euro dont know do they mail them .
Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Yes, they don't have to be refrigerated, so they can be mailed. A few different people here have gotten it in the past. One of them sent me some of the vials she ordered, which is why I have it but don't have a pharmacy recommendation.

I did read that several people here got it from this place: http://www.farmamondo.com/e/default.cfm
Their website's 'search for drug pricing' function is broken. you may have to call them to find out more informaiton- they're in Switzerland. I emailed them a few weeks ago and didn't hear back.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement