LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » ILADS 1st President - Dr. Terri MacKnight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ILADS 1st President - Dr. Terri MacKnight
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was fortunate enough to have the chance to speak to Terri several times this summer prior to her passing away this week. She knew her time was about up after a long battle fighting Lyme disease.

She spoke about her family and how much she loved them.

She told me when her time came she wanted her story told and wanted everyone to know that Lyme disease can affect anyone at anytime, even doctors.

She wanted to be remembered on the Lyme Memorial website and hoped to have her story posted there and everywhere we could get it to help raise awareness.

In my opinion, she was a truly dedicated mother, a doctor, and patient advocate for those suffering with chronic Lyme and tick borne diseases.

My condolences to her family and friends... and to all at ILADS who knew and loved her.

She will be missed and we won't forget her.

http://dailyitem.com/obituaries/x1047881738/Dr-Teresa-Royer-MacKnight-57-Andover-Maine

Dr. Teresa [Terri] Royer MacKnight, 57, Andover, Maine

ANDOVER, Maine -- Dr. Teresa "Terri" Royer MacKnight, 57, passed away on Sunday, Aug. 15, 2010, peacefully at her home in Andover.

She was born March 25, 1953, in Lewisburg, Pa., a daughter of Russell and Louise Royer, of New Columbia, Pa.

She graduated from Lewisburg High School, Class of 1971 and received her Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine, Des Moines University in Iowa in 1979.

Dr. MacKnight practiced medicine in Hollywood, Fla., Seattle, Wash., Negley, Ohio, and Beaver, Pa., before moving to Maine in 1990.

She practiced medicine in Rumford until being disabled by Neurologic Lyme Disease.

She was one of the founders of the International Lyme and Associated Disease Society and the society's first president in 1999.

As a lecturer and author, she strived to help the medical community and the public to recognize, treat and prevent Lyme Disease.

Her desire to help others also took her to Barrow, Ala. American Samoa and into rural areas where she was able to help those without access to medical care.

Terri was a loving mother who treasured the time she spent with her son Michael and was delighted to see the wonderful young man he has grown into. He was the apple of her eye.

She was known as a compassionate physician and a good friend to many who knew her.

Terri enjoyed gardening, skiing, snowshoeing, canoeing, snorkeling, biking, hiking, and wilderness camping. When not outside, she could be found in the kitchen where she enjoyed cooking for her family.

Some of her fondest memories were those spent at camp with family and friends. She also enjoyed traveling and exploring new areas.

Surviving are her son, Michael, and his father, Dirk MacKnight, of Andover, Maine; her mother and father, Russell and Louise Royer, of New Columbia; one brother, Rod Royer, of Salt Point, N.Y.; and one sister, Robin Yost, of Milton, Pa.

A memorial service will be conducted 1 p.m. Monday at the Andover Congregational Church, Andover, Maine, with the Rev. Jane Rich officiating.

Those who desire in lieu of flowers, please contribute to "Teresa MacKnight Memorial Fund" c/o Franklin Savings Bank, P. O. Box 579, Rumford, Maine 04276 in her memory.

Arrangements are under the care of the Meader & Son Funeral Home, 3 Franklin St., P.O. Box 537, Rumford, Maine.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How very sad to lose an important Lyme Doctor, Teacher & advocate. [Frown]

May her family find comfort knowing how important she was to us all.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really really tragic. I am very saddened by this loss. I hope her story WILL raise awareness about this disease.

My condolences to her family and friends. (and to Tincup)

When it comes to Lyme disease, "Doctor heal thyself" doesn't always work.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting TC. She was so young. [Frown]

Condolences to her family and friends. Being a founder of ILADS is quite an accomplishment and service to the lyme community. Her contributions are very much appreciated by me and I'm sure many others who suffer with this nasty illness.

Is there a link where we can read her story?

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so sad. such a loss.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is heartbreaking. So, so sad.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is very young.

Was this death attributed to Lyme Disease? At only 57 years old, I expect there was a specific cause blamed for her death...anyone know?

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It sounds like she fought against this as long as she could - and that she helped many others along the way.

Deep condolences to family, friends, and all those touched by tick-borne infections. We are better for her having been here.
-

[ 08-21-2010, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

TerryK,

You asked for a link. Tincup posted that in the first post above. Here's another way to find it:

Page 4 of Lyme Disease Obituaries:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/16292/4

latest entry:

http://dailyitem.com/obituaries/x1047881738/Dr-Teresa-Royer-MacKnight-57-Andover-Maine

Dr. Teresa [Terri] Royer MacKnight, 57, Andover, Maine

========================

Maybe check back later for something here:

http://www.lymememorial.org/

The National Lyme Disease Memorial Park Project
-

[ 08-21-2010, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler but that is her obituary not really her story about lyme disease.

TC wrote:
She told me when her time came she wanted her story told and wanted everyone to know that Lyme disease can affect anyone at anytime, even doctors.

I guess I thought that would entail more than her obit but I could be wrong.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh . . . yeah. Brain fog. Sorry. I would also like to know more of her life's work and her outlook at times along the way. It may be they'll put that on the Memorial Project at a later time.
-

[ 08-21-2010, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, and as far as I know... her full story was not written.

I am trying to gather information for it so it can be put together as I hoped she would want after our talks.

Comments from you all would be helpful.

Thank you.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
omg I'm having a panic attack at these posts..are we all going to die young?? [Frown]

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
We're all human. So, we do the best we can. We get educated, we take the best care of ourselves as we can. We share what good we can.

Lyme certainly does force us to grow up and hold our spirit up high. In her courage and endurance, let's remember Dr. MacKnight for the good she has done and value her gifts to us as we continue to fight a cause to which she was so dedicated.
-

[ 08-21-2010, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's the question we all have; what exactly killed her. Keebler's info is helpful. The hard part for me is when we read of Lyme deaths, aside from the suicides, we rarely hear exactly why they died.

Like Leslie Wermers, did her heart just stop in her sleep, with no warning? I have always wished I knew more about her story, in regard to that.

Of course it scares people, but it might be helpful if people had some idea of what led to it, might even reassure some.

Thank you Tincup for your help. Looking forward to what you can share.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tracy9:
[QB]
Of course it scares people, but it might be helpful if people had some idea of what led to it, might even reassure some.

Thank you Tincup for your help. Looking forward to what you can share.

I agree!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with TN Kim... I think we are naturally concerned about this issue and I'm sure Dr. MacKnight would have wanted people to know her story.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This thread is about Terri MacKnight. We should be honoring her for her work so that we all have a better chance. She left a legacy with her contributions to ILADS. Their homepage welcomes us all, inviting us to learn more.

In addition to the wealth of information at ILADS' site, our take-away is having had the privilege to have her as an example of style and grace in the face of adversity.

What really matters is how we are a person in our waking & living hours. And, in that respect and by all accounts, Terri was a fantastic person. That is what really matters.

In this time of intense grief, bright blessings to her family.
-

[ 08-21-2010, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get better-I'm living proof. We will all get better. You have to have faith, good support and an LLMD. Dr MacKnight may not have "caught" lyme till after several years, when it took too strong a hold.

I think that by raising awareness of how devastating this disease is, is the best way to honor her memory.

Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Keebler wrote:
This thread is about Terri MacKnight. We should be honoring her for her work so that we all have a better chance.

Good point Keebler. Let's show our gratitude for all that this lovely lady did for the lyme community. She has made a HUGE difference in all our lives.

ILADS is a force to be reckoned with and so instrumental in educating our doctors, the community and patients. It lends legitimacy to our illness.

Another thread could easily be started to ask questions about how lyme affects our longevity. I think it is a valid concern, especially for newbies but I really hope this thread can be all about Dr. MacKnight because she really deserves a fitting send off from the lyme community.

Terry

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As we are humbled and sobered by the harshness of lyme's realities, it's important to remember that Dr. MacKnight's involvement with ILADS has helped many to not just learn - but to go on to achieve success over lyme.

We also have to remember that success has many definitions, cycles and degrees. It may not look the same for everyone.
---------------------

www.ilads.org

ILADS - INTERNATIONAL LYME & ASSOCIATED DISEASES SOCIETY

==========================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/15820

SUCCESS STORIES
-

[ 08-21-2010, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Tincup
Member # 5829

Call me old fashioned, but I was taught when invited over to someone's home for supper you don't ask "What are you having" before accepting or declining the invitation. That should not matter.

I feel the same here. If the family wanted to share more details about her final days or hours, their private moments together or her personal medical history with the world, they would have.

** editing to remove comments related to deleted posts above this one**

[ 08-21-2010, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a certain way, I don't really care exactly what caused her death. We know that Lyme and coinfections can weaken all systems in the body, which can break down under the strain of these illnesses.

We know that some people die rather quickly from these diseases, but most don't, even though we might feel like it sometimes!

What interests me more is what kind of a person we are, besides being sick. Anyone who was the first president of ILADS is someone to be remembered and honored for that, as well as any other fine qualities in her life.

My condolences to you too, TC, as you obviously had a good relationship with her.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.meaderandson.com/index.cfm

Anyone can sign guest book or send Private Condolences to the Family of Teresa Royer MacKnight at the link above. Click on obituaries left panel.

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We must understand--anyone is at risk of harm when we have immune altering infections.

Just like people who have HIV, etc. Those patients are more prone to more of everything...

Yet we have many who live to be very old.

We can only do with what time we are given.

She was most honorable for giving of herself.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
To someone who was the first President of ILADS, that is truly a medical marker and a shining badge of courage. Definitely headline worthy and most relevant to our right to gather, possess and share the essential medical knowledge in this field at a time when strong negative forces ignore & cover up key facts. A shining badge of courage, indeed.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This thread is a condolence thread to someone who was among those who forged a path for lyme research to be there for us.

Be sure to go to the links above - there are many posts there that answer questions you raised. And you can search further at ILADS. The details are not at all hidden, even Google will take you to links specifically about the questions you raise.

Many times a thread will be a certain theme. TinCup started this as a grouping of condolences and appreciation for someone who was vital to Lyme research. It's just that it would be nice for her family to have a thread that is just about their daughter, mother, sister and friend- as she mattered to us.

After a time to grieve, her family may post at the Lyme Memorial site that is linked above.
-

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even in passing, she serves as in inspiration to those that will deliver her story.

Thank-you, Tincup.

My deepest sympathies to her family and friends.

Terri, you will be missed.

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

moving to General Support

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement