LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lyme-friendly bra?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme-friendly bra?
penguingirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this sounds silly but somehow I cannot wear bras anymore without a lot of discomfort. I am not gaining weight - in fact prob losing, but somehow I feel like these bras are just constricting me and I can't breathe. I don't know why but the wire is also uncomfortable. I can't wear earrings without annoyance. Certain textures on clothings also bother me. I feel like lyme is stripping me of any femininity!!

Luckily I don't need much support (haha) so I can manage to wear thick sweaters and not wear one! I feel like a hippy.

But as spring/summer approaches, clearly this will not be appropriate. I have been wearing a sportsbra which hurt too but I have gotten used to it by now. But it doesn't look too cute under a tank top.

I think I can try to find some wireless bra soon but wanted to know if any women on here had some recommendations for where I can start and look.

I am sure Victoria's Secret is not lyme-friendly.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a wireless from Dillards. The brand is Cabernet.

So far it seems comfy and not constricting.

I have the same issues. I am in enough pain...I don't need my clothes adding to it.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try "Barely There." Wireless, but good. Very comfortable. I can PM you the item number if you need it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear what are either called Day Bras or Bralettes. Over the head, no wires, no hooks. Very light. Not much support, but sooooo comfy.

Try searching Bralette at either Macys.com or Nordstrom.com

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago I tried bras from Decent Exposures.

I'm thinking of trying them again as they have latex-free bras.

www.decentexposures.com/bra.shtml

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decent Exposure or Blue Canoe (they both have organic).

What is cool about Decent Exposures is that they will customize the bra for you...you keep sending it back until it fits you comfortably.

I guess one good thing about staying home is not having to wear a bra ;-)

Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks ladies! I will look into these options.

Tutu - can you PM me the "bareless" info? Thx!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penguin, thanks for bringing up post about bras. Same here on ear-rings. Not worth it. Doesn't matter if there are good diamonds/gold.

I've developed some really odd skin reactions to bra(s) in the last year. I've never been able to buy lacey, pretty ones even as young lady. Skin rashes!

Underwires went a couple years ago because they made me itch from wire. I'm a 50 yr old woman and I'd like to have some support.

Ordered some that had snaps in the front because I do have trouble motionwise with unsnapping back and trying to fiangle it around?

Then my body became allergic to the tiny snaps in the front and under my left breast I've become raw.

So I'm down to sports bras. Just need to find some with more support that doesn't make me itch and breakout skin. It reminds me of the skin outbreak I get on my feet alot and it's not athlete's foot. Being shoe-less and bra-less, wouldn't that be a hoot.

Tutu, I love The Barely There undies line. Just found them on-line at outlet that was so much cheaper than Kohl's. I've worn them for years and their stuff holds up. Literally! lol

Please do post item code. Got to find some bras soon. Hotter weather makes my problem even worse.

I remember Gigi posting about finding out she was allergic to her bras. It came up with ART with Dr K.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the web site for the outlet on Barely Tehre undies??
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10 years later and I still have yet to find a bra that works for me.

OK in the winter time...dont' wear one. But, now that it is warming up...need to find one

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
map... Please give us the link to the outlet. Thanks!!

I wear Jockey underwear .. they have some that are seamless and VERY comfortable. Maybe they're similar to the Barely There. I'm hesitant to switch when I'm happy with the Jockey though!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Site is onehanesplace.com

Well Kam,let's go on a bra search together. Some of the bras I seen on this site like the Barely There sports bra is imported.No country listed????

I wonder if imported from where makes a difference too? That's why organic may be the way to go.

Sure enough last night under left breast after taking off Walmart Fruit of Loom sport bra 95% cotton 5% latex, I've got these skin blisters, redness, itching and very irritated.

I put Tea Tree oil on it so I wouldn't dig at it like I wanted to. So maybe it is latex? But that doesn't make sense when these skin blisters and eruptions happen on tops of my feet and my elbows too.

Any way Kam let's go shopping. I'll be there soon. Would you like to go out to lunch while we're out? I treat. I'll stop and pick up Tutu
and Penguin along the way.

We'll have a bra shopping day.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

I am waiting to go shopping!

[hi]

--------------------
 -

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Victoria's Secret brought back the tube top in a cotton spandex - they have a tube top bandeau that works for me when my shoulders are knotted or costochondritis kicking up - provides some support without the pain.
At the moment it's on sale and white seems to have disappeared, but you might like the funky patterns and colors. Great under yoga wear!!

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265437633035&c=Page&cid=1300104438447&pagename=vsdWrapper&search=true

They also have bralettes that are quite comfy
This one is really comfy also

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1300100407830&c=Page&cid=1300104436261&pagename=vsdWrapper&search=true

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

I'm sorry I should have invited others to go along bra shopping too.

Julie, now I'm alittle over 50 and alittle extra c cup. I'm not seeing this body back in the tube tops. I'm laughing just thinking about the image.

How you like me now, hubby?

Pam

--------------------

4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in on the bra shopping - please!!!

I haven't been able to tolerate anything other than a tight-fitting camisole for years. I am also over 50 and a C+, so it makes me feel very self-conscious.

I can't handle anything tight across my back where the bra line normally is...drives me totally batty!

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Pam, Taking my no lyme today pill so we can go shopping for a comfy bra and out to lunch!
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Pam!!!

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Hold on ladies....I'm coming as fast as I can.
Can't find a comfortable bra for the drive across the country for you Kam.

I'll go braless if the rest of you gals do to?

Can't you just see us all flopping into the restaurant and the bra store. It will be nice to eliminate the extra step of taking our uncomfortable bra off and putting it back on.

Anytime I can eliminate an energy zapping step I do. I hope your lyme brains are working today.

I've got an image and I'm laughing...cause ladies we don't look so good in my image. lol

Pam

[ 04-13-2011, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: map1131 ]

--------------------

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Great idea - OptiMisTick! I am really a 32 but right now everything feels so constricting even though visually one would say it fits right.
But if I go to a 34, then it's too big for me.
So this extender thing sounds great.

I am trying to find a racerback style bra (with thin straps) that is comfortable. I'm so annoyed with those "convertible" bras, because then you have to keep adjusting straps, etc.

--------------------
 -

map1131
Member # 2022

Well last week I was fighting skin eruptions under right and left breasts. first time it's happened on both sides. I went for my yearly mam and pap.

I told the lady that does my mam that it took me 12 yrs but I finally remembered to not put deodorant on. Put it in my purse for after.

Went in to take my top and sport bra off and thought crap I had put some cream on my rash under my breasts.

I was excited that I remembered something and then duh, still had to use the wipes. She was curious about the rash and I told her my derma had told me these skin eruptions I described sound like typical staph rashes.

Told her I was waiting for eruption elsewhere on body for derma to test.

I wouldn't pay that much money for a darn bra.
I realize many large busted women have to in order to be comfortable.

But buying extenders might work for bras I already have. This week the rashes have done their disappearing act?????

Pam

--------------------

LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.geniebra.com/index.php

Was awake during the middle of the night and saw this. Thinking about ordering. LIKE the 60 day money back guarantee.

Glad to know I'm not alone in hating my underwires. All winter I wore a sports bra!

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha!! victoria's secret is for children!!! i mean the largest size they have is probably 34...geezzz

when you're 42 you're just SOL...period

so i wear wachoal. they're pricey but more comfortable.

hopefully loosing weight will cause my breasts to get smaller. otherwise it's going to be reduction...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-3-Pack-Tank-Style-Sport-Bras-Style-9012/8204896

I found these from walmart to be very soft and comfy. I don't know how they will do for summer....but works for now.

.97 delivery too!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Opti, but I also have the same skin rash eruptions on my elbows and the tops of my feet and between my mouth and chin area?

They start as 2-3 hard skin lesions in the outbreak area. Bigger than pimple then they spread into a rash. They come in a cycle too?

First before skin eruptions I actually can feel them coming on under the skin. They itch badly but I don't scratch. Next day or two then the rash is like one big red connected rash and it burns.

I have a cream rx that helps but of course the area under breast is rubbed by sports bra. This happened even in winter.

My elbows started today. I could feel it erupting under the skin. Tonight I rubbed Tea Tree essential oil on it trying to stop whatever it is.

I've been using essential oils for more and more things. I've found them worth their weight for hemorroids, sore throats, ear aches (not internally but rubbing oils around the outer ear) and everything in between.

Pam

--------------------

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really never wear one but I'm told the Coobie bra is the best and most comfy and offers full support. Just google it!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement