LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Caregiver burnout - we're both lymed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Caregiver burnout - we're both lymed
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fried from both having lyme and my spouse having it. Many of us are ill, and taking care of ill loved ones.

It helped me to see this. At least I know it's not "all in my head."

Common Warning Signs of Caregiver Burnout:

1. Extreme fatigue, lack of concentration and insomnia

2. Depression and loss of the ability to cope with everyday things

3. Denial about the severity/outcome of illness

4. Misdirected anger towards others, including the patient

5. General irritability

6. Mood swings

7. Withdrawal from activities and friends

8. Lack of appetite

9. Expression of anxiety about the future

10. General health problems

Burnout Quiz

Circle the appropriate answer for each individually.
Seldom, Sometimes, Often, Usually

I can't get enough rest.

I don't have enough time for myself.

I don't have time to be with other family members other than the person that I care for.

I feel guilty about my situation.

I don't get out much anymore.

I have a conflict with the person I care for.

I have conflicts with other family members.

I cry every day.

I worry about having enough money to make ends meet.

I don't feel that I have enough knowledge or experience to give care as well as I would like.

My own health is not good.

If the responses to one or more of the statements listed here is Often or Usually, it may be time to begin looking for help with caring for the care-receiver and help in taking care of yourself.

www.wvcaregivers.org/families/burnout.pdf

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have any type of outside support? How long have you been caring for each other?

I hope your health improves. Just getting outside a few minutes a day helps.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really hard. My parents went thru this .. they likely had lyme but were dxd with other things. Debilitating things. It was rough.

Do you have a church family you can go to for support?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we're just going through a rough patch, too. I know outside support is important. We've gotten a bit too isolated, due to fatigue and health. We do belong to a congregation, and we make an effort to connect when it's possible.

Just got back from a Dr. appt. It could be that my thyroid medication is up too high, so we're going to adjust again. That can definately make a person jumpy, and irritable, without control. Hmmm, maybe that's playing a role.

Also working on adjusting support for adrenals. Ahhhh, maybe I'll get some relief!

(I didn't mean to imply that I have all of the above symptoms, that's a clip from a website.)

Thanks, Dogsandcats and Lymetoo! You are appreciated.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheelWatcher
Member # 34223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WheelWatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you. My husband got really debilitated with Lyme, and it turns out I have it too. i got so obsessed and taken over by taking care of him that i completely ignored my own health issues.

Now I started my own business hoping I could make enough money to pay for treatment, and it is SO much work to do, that is making some things worse. Right when stupid babesia is back and rampaging my husband again.

we are waiting for a month to have our 2 YO see our LLMD to get results from his blood tests and get her opinion on his development, whether he may be having some mild lyme issues or what. Please keep fingers crossed he is healthy!

--------------------
IgM ++41, IND 31, 34, 39, 83-93
IgG IND 41

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." - unknown

Posts: 72 | From NC | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allsmiles
Member # 29417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allsmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear that you are having this burnout. I feel that to some degree with my Mom and Dad who are very elderly and needing help, and who I live with alot of the time. Thankfully, they do have money to hire some help and are doing it.

Also, my brother in law started a small local business where he goes to the homes of elderly people and helps them with things they need around the home that they are unable to do, and he now has a couple of women working for him.

There are other businesses out there that do the same thing, and charge per hour. But it can be costly and not everybody can afford it.

Many grocery stores will deliver to your home. And I know that around here there are several people (chefs) who provide meals that they make and deliver to people's homes.

Check your area because sometimes there are free services for disabled basically homebound people who are not old enough to recieve Meals on Wheels. When I lived in New Mexico, there was a free service like this, and they delivered healthy meals to your door. All you needed was a doctors note.

And some churches ( like mine here ) have people who will come to the home and help caregivers for free.

Just some ideas. I sure hope you can find some help! So many of us need it to have any chance of recovery!

--------------------
Please take nothing I say as medical advice, I am not a doctor

Posts: 18 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

WheelWatcher - I feel for you, and also you're taking care of such a young child. Hoping all is well.

Allsmiles - Thanks for your suggestions, I'll think about them.

A little update - I feel much less anxious since reducing the thyroid dosage, that happened quickly. I also feel like I'm getting through the day better already, with the adaptogenic herbal formula for adrenals. I'm really surprised, in a good way.

Have a good day.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement