LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Employer wants me to see their MD...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Employer wants me to see their MD...
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they are going to try to make me go back to work (I'm still on disability).

Right now, they are having me get them my medical records for their MD to review, then they are going to refer me to a Dr to confirm if I am still disabled or able to perform my job duties.

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to handle this?

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm assuming you do not feel ready to return, otherwise you'd be asking how you might make that work, somehow. ?

I've always cringed at how society puts those who are disabled "on" disability or "on" Medicare instead of recognizing that they are "receiving disability coverage" or "a Medicare client" or "have Medicare as their insurance plan."

It's the "on" that implies welfare, a hand-out and generally insults. That "on" can be so demeaning. Just have to say that.

About records: No. This is illegal, unethical and just wrong, your employer cannot ask for your medical records or tell you which doctor to see.

" . . . they are having me get them my medical records for their MD to review . . ." (end quote)

That is against privacy law.

However, I assume that you have disability coverage with your WORK, not the Social Security Administration?

If through your work, then they do control how that is determined and reviewed.

However, if through SSA, with SSD, your employer has no right to ask for your medical records or tell you which doctor to see.

And, they don't have the right, anyway but, if you are receiving coverage under their policy, then you have to adhere to their methods.

Can't you file for SSD under the SSA, then? If you are unable to return to work right now, it may be time to explore that.

Remember that this is not about lyme but about what you can and cannot due, your endurance, etc.

If your status would clearly have any reasonable MD (even one paid by your employer) understand your situation, then you may be fine.

If there is any doubt, move to file for SSD with the SSA.

Consult an attorney, for sure, to know your rights with your employer. If there might be ANY position that you could hold, they could make certain accommodations to make that easier for you.

I always think that, when at all possible, it's best to stay with an employer. I really miss working for many reasons and surely SSD is not enough to keep a person alive in our economy.

Still, if you just can't, you just can't. Just be honest and get good advice. That's the best anyone can do. I hope whatever shifts come along, you can weather the changes.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=023463;p=0

Quick Links - see the two threads addressing disability coverage.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is through my employer. I did not apply for SSDI thinking they would not approve my disability. I am much better than I was a few years ago but I still have thinking deficits and major sleep/fatigue issues.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Google:

* Sheila Bastien, PhD, CFS - in Berkeley, CA

* Myra Preston, PhD in North Carolina. Re: QEEG

Both have championed to help document cognitive stuff with those who have fatigue issues.

A QEEG "brain mapping" with the parameters of what Myra Preston does has helped many to document disability. She's also trained many others how to do this specialized testing.

* Vestibular testing if you have any inner / middle ear or balance issues. That can affect thinking and energy.

Contact your local & state lyme support groups and the CFS support groups for suggestions for how to document your symptoms.

The Quick Links, disability links, still hold some good details for how to communicate with the doctors through your employer, then,

as well as other areas to investigate that may be causing the symptoms.

Just hoping that, someone, there just might be something that you could do with your company. Is there some project that could be created for you, even if limited in time, even if from home?

If not, I understand, believe me. It's just that if there is some creative way to work sideways with this situation, it could be nice.

Still, just be honest. That's the best way to proceed even if they don't believe you - or understand the "how" and "why" of your situation.

You might share with them the things that you are doing to help yourself - even if just to manage. Just let them see the real you, as you are at this point in time. Lay it on the table and keep breathing.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement