LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » GMO and Frito-Lay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GMO and Frito-Lay
KentuckyWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so I'm still in the early learning stages of all of the controversy surrounding GMO foods.

Thanks to LymeNet I'm even AWARE of this horror.

So, I confess, I am a lifelong consumer of many Frito-Lay products specifically the Orginal Corn Chips. They are labeled as simple as it gets.
"No artificial flavors"
"No preservatives"
"No MSG"

So, think I'm eating healthy... UNTILLLL This Monsanto nightmare is exposed.

So, I called the 800# conveniently placed on the bag and easily located and seen...

I talked to a "Sharone" She was very kind and appreciative of my feedback.

My Q was... duh.. do My Fritos that I've love all these years have GMO corn in them?

Answer slightly vague but still very kind. "To ensure to NOT get GMO corn in my Frito-Lay Products, she recommended their "Simply Natural" Line of products which include Tostitos (for my mentioned taco salad recipe) But they do not have the original corn chips in that GMO-free line of products"... YET.. [Smile]

She admitted the company is well aware of the GMO issues. [Frown]

Soooooo... IFFF anybody wants to join my cause.
My request of Sharone was to encourage Frito Lay to LEAD the industry in the refusal of GMO corn products and to heavily advertise they are staying healthy. Put my Orginal Fritos into the GMO Free line of products.

It is this poster's opinion that causes like this in the laws of supply and demand start small. More ppl started requesting "lowfat" products about 15 years ago and now they are as common and equally priced as regular, when at first, you had to pay 2X for a lowfat product. [bow]

I'd tried the Facebook route a few weeks ago about the GMO question, but got no feedback or response.

If you are game for a "vote" the number is

1-800-352-4477.

I didn't have to wait long for an answer and got a PERSON, not an automated spiderweb.. which I just now realize I forgot to thank her for that.

Now I have to go and make another small tweak in my pantry arsenal. [lick]

--------------------
KentuckyWoman
tired of medical run-arounds

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~ ~ Robert Frost

Posts: 221 | From Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the minute!!

Monsanto

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/31802?#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Most chips of any kind can really hurt our blood vessels when heated in old, hot oils like they use (and the oils are GMO, too) but even worse in that

when oil gets so hot as to fry a chip it changes chemically. Those chemical changes can also destroy the lining to our blood vessels.

Even nuts can do that if bought toasted / roasted as the oil gets too old very fast. Nuts should be bought raw and then toasted at home, just before eating.

I'm so glad I found this fresh, delicious alternative that follows healthful manufacturing standards:

http://www.marysgonecrackers.com/your-products/crackers

MARY'S GONE CRACKERS

The entire Mary's Gone Crackers' line is manufactured in the USA in our dedicated organic, gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, dairy-free facility to ensure there is no cross-contamination.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just because a food product is labeled as "MSG free" does not mean it is so. They often just call it something else.

And they may say no "artificial" flavors and call them "natural" flavors but, see the 60 Minues report to see just how NOT natural these can be, too.

How to determine? Some clues here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors;

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we don't stop Monsanto soon, it will be too late. They are also ruining our bees. They have a plan to kill off the bees and then use bio-engineered bees.

(remember when huge populations of bees were dying?)

Here are some sites you can "friend" or "like" on Facebook... then you can "share" their charts and graphics with your friends:

Heirloom Girl

Label GMOs Hollywood

GreenMedInfo.com

Organic Consumers Association

Baker Heirloom Seed Company

A website for information:

www.nongmoproject.org

--

I'll try calling Frito-Lay tomorrow. My cousin used to work for them as an accountant.

60% of corn crops are GMO .. we have to stop this nonsense soon, but Congress just granted Monsanto a "pass" and has protected them from any damages caused by their products.

Call your Senators and Congressmen!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Today's news in St. Louis: Monsanto announces a HUGE, HUGE expansion.
-

skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Monsanto is evil and they're out to poison us all. Makes me sick.

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Chilling as they are not at all helping good farmers - just more ways to destroy them. Their "tools" are handcuffs on the farmers.

. . . "This gives our researchers what they need to get farmers the tools they need . . . ."

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/monsanto-plans-big-expansion-in-chesterfield/article_561d890f-5f36-5914-af44-1555a5fac37a.html

Monsanto plans big expansion in Chesterfield (part of the metro area near St. Louis, MO) - April 23, 2013

Excerpt:

CHICAGO * In one of the biggest corporate expansions the St. Louis region has seen in years, Monsanto said Tuesday that it would add 675 jobs and invest more than $400 million at its research facility in Chesterfield.

. . . "This gives our researchers what they need to get farmers the tools they need . . ."

. . . The company will also draw sizable state and local incentives for the expansion.
Monsanto will be eligible for $22 million in Missouri Quality Jobs tax credits if it creates all 675 promised jobs,

and the Missouri Development Finance Board is considering a request for $9.5 million in Build Missouri bonds.

St. Louis County plans to offer about $22 million in tax breaks, said County Executive Charlie Dooley, who also traveled to Chicago for the announcement. . . .

. . . ``This is 675 new scientists. The best and the brightest,'' he said. ``It's a huge win for the region.'' . . .

. . . Monsanto has also stressed growth in new parts of the world, particularly in Brazil and Argentina, as well as in Eastern Europe. The company is preparing to launch a new glyphosate-tolerant bean in Brazil -- the first product developed specifically for an international market.

[No author listed above.] Georgina Gustin of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
$22 million in tax breaks for scientists - hired by a CHEMICAL COMPANY (this is not a farmers' organization by any means) - to do more to manipulate food and destroy farmers. It's a 3-step waltz:

1. We support them by buying their products.

2. We vote in politicians to give them tax money, which in turn actually destroys farmers and our health.

3. And, then, we can build more medical centers that do a crappy job at actually addressing the causes of diseases that can often be prevented (or at least helped) with real nutrition -- without all the chemicals and manipulation.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the actual farmers supported directly?

We can, though, when we scout out our area farmers who are trying to hold their heads high to be organic - or at least avoid the worst of the chemicals. When we frequent all our area's Farmers' Markets as our usual mode of shopping, Community Farming Coops, etc.
-

[ 04-24-2013, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Remember when the government turned its back on the family farmers?? They were all going under and the only person helping them was Willie Nelson??

He still does his Farm-Aid concerts. But it's too little too late. The government wanted them to die out.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You ain't seen nothing yet. Yeah, you ain't seen nothing yet!!!!! Just wait for 2014.

Their next mass destruction.

Good post Kentuckywoman and info. Great, just what we need is 675 scientists creating for corp food(poison)supply.

No wonder Farmer's markets are popping up all over city parking lots. Lord, give us a great growing season across this nation.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all. This is great info. I have my studying ahead for sure.

Just gotta wait til I'm "clearer." Then my plan is to attack... that is ... if I don't forget... grrrr.. this lyme...

Hugs to all

--------------------
KentuckyWoman
tired of medical run-arounds

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~ ~ Robert Frost

Posts: 221 | From Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monsanto is building a production plant and warehouse in 2 cities very close to wear I live. I"m very disappointed. All these people are seeing is $$$$

In one of the cities Monsanto will receive a 95% tax abatement on the total assessed value of the property for 5 years.

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement