LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Why Music Makes our Brain Sing - NYT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Music Makes our Brain Sing - NYT
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/why-music-makes-our-brain-sing.html?hp

Gray Matter

WHY MUSIC MAKES OUR BRAIN SING

- by Robert J. Zatorre & Valorie N. Salimpoor

The New York Times - SundayReview - June 7, 2013

. . . So why does this thingless ``thing'' -- at its core, a mere sequence of sounds -- hold such potentially enormous intrinsic value? . . .

[full article at link above]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was awesome!! This explains why we love listening to songs we already know. And with classical music, because of the way the music builds, you know even better which parts to anticipate. (hope I made sense!)

-

"But what may be most interesting here is when this neurotransmitter is released: not only when the music rises to a peak emotional moment, but also several seconds before, during what we might call the anticipation phase."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a fun read! I would also think that music, like many pleasurable activities, would cause release of endorphins. I notice that my awareness of my pain level goes down after spending a certain amount immersed with music, so I think that's what's going on.

Music also synchronizes brain waves, which is a pleasurable experience.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
When I posted the article above, it was with every intention of, "hey, something other than medical research or instrucion for what else I must do" . . . something fun and interesting, off topic.

However, after a couple days, I do see a disservice for those who may be new to lyme with some hearing difficulties. So this added post is to help, really, it may sound like a downer but it's intended to help.

The NYT music article is in general, of course. For many with lyme, music can hurt terribly the ears and the head.

Another way that those with lyme & co. can be so very different from "others".

It's one of the worst features for those with neuro-lyme and also with the vestibular (ear) complications. Musicial selections are very limited. There have been months (even years) when I could not listen at all.

Some of this has to do with the amount of energy required for listening, it seems. The adrenal hit that lyme, et.al. can cause can leave one without energy to even handle that anticipation - that not knowing what is coming next - especially if it happens to be a note or tone that hurts or, in some cases, triggers a seizure.

To read all the brain goes through when listening, well, I see now that it does take energy to particate even in listening. It's not so passive to a body whose every single tiny function is taxing.

Musical taste is very individual if the first place for reasons I've not seen scientifically explored in news articles (and have not had energy to research further - but I suspect some brain "limitations" or prior injuries may draw some to a certain kind of music as much as repell them from others).

For those with lyme and hyperacusis, their "safe" selection list can be a long time coming, to sift & sort, often through real pain - to find the kinds of music that heals and brings joy, rather than hurt.

For those people, some things to help better understand what is happening - and things just to help & some musical links:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep seeing this thread and keep getting caught up in the fact that live singing causes me to have neurological problems.. I can't read all this above just now, but if anybody has simple, short links to expain this.. umm.. *cough* ..pun alert.. "I'm all ears !!" [Smile]

--------------------
KentuckyWoman
tired of medical run-arounds

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~ ~ Robert Frost

Posts: 221 | From Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If anything causes pain, don't do it. There's a reason for pain, telling us to back off.

Yes, for some with inflammation, demyelination, mitochondria damage, etc. from lyme or other tick-borne or chronic stealth infections

singing can cause neurological problems and it may be best NOT to sing at times. For anyone with a auditory fistula, singing is not permitted for months at a time as it can prevent healing.

SCD, superior canal dehiscence is another vestibular condition that can make singing very painful and also trigger neurological issues when lyme is in the picture.

If the inner ear tissue is affected, it can be important to refrain from singing - if it causes a problem. It's not just an individual reaction but also it can vary from time to time.

Some of what may seem to be neurological issues may be have been triggered from adrenal stress, though, so that is also a key to this, explained in the Tinnitus thread.

I know the Tinnitus thread has a lot to it but, really, so much is explained there so when you can, just gradually work through that.

Explanations and suggestions for what HELPS are there. Magnesium is the number one helper.

Beyond the ears, the brain can be vibrated, forced to make connections that may be taxing, etc. so listen to that inner voice telling you to lie low.

Many with lyme have hyperacusis or varying issues around sound from the outside of our heads or from our own voices, seemingly amplified by a million. But that can vary from person to person - and the specific mechanisms can vary as well from person to person.

Also be sure to discuss with your LL doctor regaring what is going on for YOU.

Be sure to avoided added glutamate / glutamic acid in any supplement and avoid all excitatory food additives.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

Particurlarity this post: Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors . . . .
-

[ 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

KentuckyWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler

Funny thing really.. I have NO pain at all on any of this sound/palsy/earworm thing.. It is very bizarre.
I talked to my LLMD about it just last week. He is not sure what might be causing it. He reluctantly suggested "migraines" but I assured him that I did not have such issues before I got sick, nor migraine issues either.

The singing triggering this phenomenon is very odd and I just wondered if anybody else had this problem.

It starts with the right eye palsy, then facial, then down my neck and my right hand and then my right leg. By the time church is out, I usually need help walking out.. and yes, I DO wear earplugs to help reduce the severity. We usually sing about 5 or 6 songs..

And as with lyme sxs, it varies in degree and frequency. Sometimes I feel it instantly after the first few notes of a song the process begins. Sometime, I can get thru an entire song before I notice my eye starting it.

I've seen alot of posts on here about light, sound, smell sensitivities. I've not really seen anything about a particular kind of sound doing this though.

--------------------
KentuckyWoman
tired of medical run-arounds

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~ ~ Robert Frost

Posts: 221 | From Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement