LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » what could i eat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what could i eat
gonzo
Member # 41410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gonzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I need to gain weight .ive lost almost 60lbs in 4 months. Cant eat solids cause my swallowing isn't good.I have mostly yogert and protean shakes.my legs wont carry me to good and have fallen a lot. Any help would be great.thanks everyone.
Posts: 47 | From new england | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonzo, is your doctor treating you for parasites? I've lost 75 lbs in 8 months and I am FINALLY being treated for a massive parasite infection. I was trying to do it on my own and then herbally with my ND at home but i need the prescription drugs and I just finally got them.

Eating wise-
Crockpot or stew pot: Just throw in whole: nice quality meats, organic greens, add water and whatever spices to make a good broth. Then if you just let it cook down you don't have to cut things up because they will just fall apart after cooking so long. And you can have something soft, easier to swallow, and nourishing.

my ND at home put me on a 50/50 of MCT oil and coconut oil to try to hold my weight. Also digestive enzymes and a supplement called Interfase.

These things slowed the weight loss progression slightly, but unless you can hit the root cause of weight loss- very likely parasite infection- the weight will keep falling.

I fall a lot too now and am very weak. Do you also have seizures?

Sending you hugs- right there with you in this. [group hug]

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you eat nuts? Avocados??

Too much sugar can weaken you.. check sugar content in yogurt and the protein shakes.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gonzo
Member # 41410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gonzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daynise. Thank you wiill try the slow cooked you make it sound yummy tired of yogert I don't think I get seizures just go down quick. Ill ask my Dr about the parasites. Thanks
Posts: 47 | From new england | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gonzo
Member # 41410

Lymetoo thanks wasn't thinking about the sugar. No nuts avocado is good. Thank you
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am weak and have trouble with chewing/swallowing too.

I just had some goat's milk cheese, apples (purchased an apple slicer to help me be able to eat apples...still need to go with organic as I need thin skinned apples, gf crackers, green olives stuffed with pimento's...I call it figure food..

I do a lot of figure food as fixing something usually is not do able.

I also have the caregiver make hard boiled eggs or when able...make them myself in the toaster....it has a hard boiled egg attachment along with a poached egg attachment.

I also eat Amy's vegie chili..usually I just open the can and eat it cold with goat's milk cheese on top and red onions if I am able to cu tup some onions

And garlic...I have a do hickey that chops the garlic for me when I am able

OK fading fast now...

Ah one more thing I thought of...I open a can of celergy soup and drink it down too....again..heaing it is usually out.
I just put it in a glass and drink it.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes..avocado on the chili too when able
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

I know others have suggested protein drinks and I did just get a new jar of protein powder.

But, too weak to even get the lid off at this point

So making a smoothie has to wait until I am doing well enough to do so and can be on my feet long enough or have the brain work long enough to talk to limbs, etc.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I am not a fan of most protein powders for many reasons. #1 is that so many add glutamate / glutamic acid, which is very neuro-excitatory.

Be sure to check the ingredients of yours to be sure no added glutamate / glutamic acid -- or "natural" flavors as they are most often not natural and are MSG by another name.

Also, it's just not live food. So many sit long periods of time in hot warehouses, in plastic . . . having gone through miles of machines first.

What you have may be fine, I hope. Just don't rely on the same thing for 3 meals a day.

HEMP protein powder is very good.

WHEY good, too, but it's not a real deal meal and you cannot add any fruit to it or it looses it's main benefit.

You might consider sardines, which can be pressed to a paste with very little effort. Sardines are my very best food. I'm not crazy about their taste but they are very good for my brain, body and mood. Excellent nutrition.

Sardines can very nearly just dissolve in your mouth, hardly any swallowing even required.

WILD PLANET is a very clean brand. Their other canned fishes also can be pressed to a nice consistency to avoid any need to chew.

You can add more olive oil and even water if you need it to be thinner.

I add a little gluten-free mustard, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I hope your doctor is addressing the swallowing issue.

Cranial-sacral therapy might be of help. UPLEDGER INSTITUTE is very good, just Google for those near you. This technique will not suddenly twist the neck or spine (which is good as that is a huge no-no for lyme).

Upledger's style of VISCERAL manipulation may also be helpful.

MAGNESIUM & CALCIUM (calming minerals) may also be of help if you are having spasms preventing you from swallowing. Lyme often causes magnesium deficiency.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM LINKS sets

Take care.
-

[ 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be sure to check all ingredients. Some things that can cause trouble swallowing due to their excitatory action:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all);

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract . . . . [the video "GMO Roulette" explain how that can impair digestive tract, from top to bottom]

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

See post: Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine

Far too stimulating and can cause spasms that interfere with swallowing. And even Seaweed can cause spasms in some as it has a natural MSG
-

GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you doing low carb Gonzo?

My brother has been unable to control swallowing reflexes since birth. He didn't do low carb.

He ate mashed yams with butter, some canned meat, and cottage cheese mashed in.

Yams easy to do... Just stab with a fork and roast in the oven for an hour. They are good cold.

If you are doing low carb then avocado for sure, canned sardines or mackerel (tomato flavour is my favorite).

Also another trick I do, not sure how many gadgets you have.
Quarter onion. 1 peeled potato or peeled sweet potatoe or peeled yam. 3-4 cups vegetables of your choice (I like broccoli zucchini spinach. 3 cups water or homemade broth. Bouillion cube if no homemade broth.
Boil until veggies are soft. Wait till it cools down (don't do this steamy), blend in blender.

Do not do this when it's hot-it will blow the lid off your blender.

Store in fridge. Homemade veggie soup. mushy and thick. Fills you up.

Coconut water for your potassium.

What about mashed medium cooked eggs?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gonzo
Member # 41410

Thank you all for the great advise and help with what to eat. If I ever get hungry ive got some new things to try [Smile]
kam
Member # 3410

I also bake a yam and have it with coconut butter

And bake a butternut or acorn squash...I usually need the caregiver to cut it in half and scoop out seeds

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I agree they're hard to cut.

I used to eat spaghetti squash a lot but have had so many incidents where I've almost cut my fingers off.

Somewhere on here Keebler made a great thread about knife safety.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try making congee. It's easy to digest and you can add different things to it to mix it up. It cooks down to a mush in the slow cooker so will be easier to swallow.

Here's a recipe:

1/2 cup rice (can also use millet or other grains or even mung beans or lentils)
4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
1/2 inch ginger peeled and diced
1 large or two small carrots chopped up
1 stick celery chopped
1 tsp dried onion flakes
1 tsp ground coriander
Sea salt to taste

Add everything to a slow-cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Hopefully that helps!

--------------------
Just a catepillar, full of imaginal buds.

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gonzo
Member # 41410

Attar sounds real good ill try it thanks to you and everyone that always gives great advise and help. Maybe there's a cook book that could be put togethes and sold the money could go to lymenet [Smile]
GretaM
Member # 40917

gonzo-that is so funny! I was thinking the same thing last month when I read the thread that lymetoo started. Cookbook with proceeds to lymenet. We could put in on amazon also for a commission.

Everyone talks about their yummy lyme and co friendly foods and I start to drool.

haha

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement