LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » denied life insurance...do you have any??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: denied life insurance...do you have any??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently applied for life insurance. Not a big amount, only 25k. Won't mention company but when they checked and found out I have high blood pressure, am overweight and have high cholesterol and lyme...Presto...I was denied.

Rats...I have the thrift savings from government and that's it..period...

So how do we get life insurance...and they advertise you can't be turned Down.....no true

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you can get insurance from a lot of credit unions. Many of them offer built-in policies according to how much money is in your account.

I have ins I applied for about 30 yrs ago... before most of my problems began.

Have you tried any of those that CLAIM to offer it regardless of medical problems?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one of those...they have so many restrictions. Like not paying the first couple of years...

Betcha didn't know that huh? They will only refund your payments. And our credit union only offers 1500 free but then the payments are astronomical for higher amounts.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost my life insurance when I lost my career. I then applied for life insurance. Denied due to my illness.

He!!, the company I applied to was a subsidiary to the company that denied my LTD, because chronic lyme doesn't exist.

My IRA is going to have to bury me. Well, I've decided I don't want to be buried in the ground with insects. Cremation and keep the bugs away from my urn.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are credit union members and I get mail all the time offering me life insurance without medical history. It's always $10k to $30k

I trash it because when I look at the monthly rates and do the math, it's not worth it.

Some people may find it worth the money though.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my son sells it and could probably get it for you but it would be expensive

but what about those aarp ads---cant be denied

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Can't be denied but if you have pre-existing conditions they won't pay for two years. They will only refund your premiums.

That happened when my dad died also. I think it was liberty or mutual..one of those from tv. They refused to pay but refunded the amount they had paid. Whoppers..about 15 bucks a month for a year and a half.

They tell you you can't be denied but they tell you it's only very limited coverage for a couple of years.

It's the ole bait and switch. If you need other coverage then you really pay at my age.

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

Well I'm out. I just had a full cardiac work up

Also in the fine prin for them you agree to give them full access to all medical records.

Not something I want to give up.

--------------------

Rivendell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those "you can't be denied" life insurance policies always ask three questions, and boy are those questions loaded.

Basically asking if you have had any illness at all.

I don't trust it, so I am without life insurance.

--------------------
Herbal Treatments for Lyme and Co-Infections:
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/the-cowden-protocol-for-lyme-disease.html http://www.sinomedresearch.org http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Having worked with the law I've learned to always always look for that hidden clause or what we called gotcha statements.

If it sounds to good to be true then it is or as I used to say "if it sounds to good to be true then its a duck!!!!"

--------------------

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my children were born, I took out term life insurance.
If I had died when my children were young, my husband would have needed to purchase child care services.
Term insurance gave us the most "bang for the buck."

Now that my children are grown, I have no dependants, so no one will be destitute when I die.
I no longer need life insurance.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True for some, Carol. We prefer to keep paying on ours so that the remaining spouse will not have it so hard.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lyme treatment ended in 2007. Since then I've applied and was approved for 2 insurance policies.

One is through Alfa. It's a whole life policy. I'm overweight, at the time about 170 (I'm 5'5") and have hypertension that's controlled with medication.

They asked about the lyme disease and I told them I was no longer being treated.

I was rated for that policy so I pay a little more than average.

The other is through my auto insurance carrier. It's a 5 year renewable term.

I pay about $75 a month for both policies totaling a death benefit of $75,000.

It pays to shop around. Good luck.

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6147 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

My family history is beart attacks, strokes, and cancer.

Anyway you look at it I'm out.

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Carol,

It may be best to keep your life insurance for a variety of reasons. Although some say it's better to put those fees into a dedicated account for final expenses (if that is possible).

you say that you "no longer need life insurance" but what about for final expenses? (or if your kids ever do need some support later on, say, due to illness, etc.)?

My life insurance was cancelled after almost 2 years -- guess they finally reviewed and the liver disorder, porphyria (or it could have been lyme) bounced me out. They would not say why.

But, if I die, I have zero in bank account to even take "me" to a cliff and "give back to the earth"

The catch is that someone will have to pick up the pieces, somehow, and even with cremation, that can be very costly for some of us with less than $5. left at the end of the month.

Oh, and that Social Security "death" coverage for only about $250. ?? Well, ONLY if one is married. As a single person, that money is not available to help clean up when it's all over, so to speak.

If receiving SS, even the month in which one dies might have to be reimbursed to the SSA. They pay only for days living . . . if that goes to rent or other bills, it's gone but the SSA would want their money back for each day of the month the person is no longer upright.

Lightheartedly (but still a very real concern)

I've tried to think of an easy exit that would leave no trace . . . falling into volcano . . . while deep sea diving . . . missing the final call for my space capsule rondevu. Funny, though, all require me to be in excellent shape to be in the perfect "last" location !!
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Randi .. Don't give up before exploring all possibilities. My family history is not all that great either. Lots of strokes, etc in the family but I was still able to get insurance. (many years ago, but since AKLF got it, you probably can too)

keebler.. yep, you'd have to be in good shape for that!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

Right now money is uh tight...I've got fhe thrift savings from gov but thats it. Plot is paid for but thats al. Estimate for funeral expense is 12-14 amd thats cheap.

I did not elect for survivors benefits for obvious reasons so all I want is funeral expenses.but heck he can take that out of the the thrift fund. But I want to give moms estate money back to my one sister.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

At least you have your plots. We really have nothing lined up. I think plots are available with my husband's family and he and I both have our own land we could be buried on if we were desperate.

Yes, my MIL's funeral was about $12,000 this past January and they already had a plot.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 17 year old was denied a life insurance policy. I was shocked!

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was worried about getting denied for having a pre-existing condition, but we didn't have any trouble getting life insurance for me.

Other than Lyme, medical records also show a family history of heart disease, asthma, and I forget the exact name... it wasn't ideopathic, but some type of tachycardia. I still got cleared.

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthPaw
Member # 35229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthPaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was denied by 23 different companies because I have seizures. I've only had two (I take seizure meds)....but I guess that's two too many. Yep, twenty three companies!

The plan I finally found was $257/month for only $150,000 coverage. I'd just bought a house and had 2 small children, it was something I had to do. After 3 years it dropped to half.

You have some protection if you have Life Insurance through an employer. By law they have to let you stay on the plan if/when you decide to leave, you just have to pay the full amount (they can convert you to Whole Life as well, which will be more expensive). Your employer is required to provide a Notice of Portability when you leave. I took advantage of this when I changed jobs in 2005. I'm still on it, I pay $18/month for $50,000 coverage.

Posts: 99 | From Cali | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

ladycakes... Maybe you could PM randibear the name of the company.

SouthPaw.. that is awesome coverage for the price!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

map1131
Member # 2022

Southpaw, I had no clue about the ability to keep my life insurance when I had to leave my very long term employer.

They terminated me one year to the day that I took off on sick leave Dec '01. Could they have sent me something about life insurance continuing and I just didn't understand it?

In those days it was quite possible. But I remember no such notice.

Pam

--------------------

SouthPaw
Member # 35229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthPaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
map1131 - it's quite possible they didn't send you anything.

When I kept my Life insurance back in 2005 I wasn't expecting it. MetLife started sending me a monthly bill. I called to ask about it, they said I could stay on the plan so I just kept paying.

I didn't find out it was required by law until last January. I was terminated while on FMLA leave (Long story.....lawyers got involved......l eventually got my job back nine months later. Bastards!).

While this was going on I called the Life Insurance company to see if I could stay on the plan.

The rep explained they had to let me stay on the plan, it was required by law. My employer was required to supply the notice, and I'd have 90 days to send it to the insurance company. I never got the letter and at this point it was already too late - 90 days had already passed.

Depending on the plan they need to supply either a "Notice of Portability" or "Notice of Conversion". Portability lets you continue the Term Policy, conversion converts it to Whole Life.

Now that I know, next time I change jobs I'll make sure I get the letter. My brain was Swiss cheese and I was struggling with COBRA and IV abx and losing my job and trying to feed my kids so fighting for life insurance took a backseat,

Posts: 99 | From Cali | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took out life insurance when I first started working again, back around 1990. I didn't know I was ill at the time, but I was.

Now I am no longer paying because they have a disability clause, which I only discovered last year. They actually refunded all my payments since I was approved for SSDI. They actually went to the backdate.

I think it will run until I am in my early 70's. I also have insurance as part of my retirement. I just don't want my kids to be burdened with expenses.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was able to get life insurance with a history of cancer. My rate was slightly higher than my husband who had no history.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lymednva:

I took out life insurance when I first started working again, back around 1990. I didn't know I was ill at the time, but I was.

Now I am no longer paying because they have a disability clause, which I only discovered last year. They actually refunded all my payments since I was approved for SSDI. They actually went to the backdate.

-
Thank you for that information! I also had Lyme when I got my policy. I just didn't know it.

I'm almost afraid to ASK about a disability clause! They might cancel me??

I may ask them to send me a copy of my policy.

THANKS!!! I've been disabled a long time, but not thru SSDI.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

map1131
Member # 2022

I too was dealing with Metlife life insurance and Long Term Disability.

You talk about the SCUM of the insurance business. That's Metlife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have them be very aware....you must have all your ducks in a row. They lie, cheat and out and out thieves.

Pam

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement