LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » what temp is your house in winter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what temp is your house in winter?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant help it I get cold. He keeps the temp at 68 during the day and 60 at night. We wear sweatshirts and then flannels to bed.

I think being cold all the time effects my lyme. If its below 75 I'm cold. Aint going to ohio this winter caus i'll freeze.

What is your hous temp set on???

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to keep mine at 72 to 74 or Im not comfortable. But I've always been like that. We use wood heat and I love it!
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
about 72

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
63-68. And i am plenty hot

How COOL r your houses in summer? I set ac on 50

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep mine at 72 in the day and 65 at night.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
68 in the winter and 78 in the summer.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm right there with LP!

I turned my heaters off and opened the doors today.

I just can't take any heat.

I soaked through 4 napkins mopping the sweat off my face at breakfast. My bra was drenched, my shirt stuck to my back. The people beside me were in hoodies and had wool jackets.

Currently my heat is off. The doors are open.

It is about 3 degrees celcius outside. (it frosts).

And I will be on top of the covers as the night progresses.

About 12 degrees celcius is where I like it. Is that about 60 degrees F?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I need an apartment sized-fridge. I'll just move all my furniture in there [Smile]
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
60 in winter but when it's very cold outside and I'm feeling charitable [Big Grin] towards the rest of the family, I'll turn the thermostat up to 65.

Oil heat is VERY expensive. I'm hot most of the time (OK that didn't come out quite the way I meant it LOL) so I tell them to throw on a sweatshirt and start moving around...like do some laundry, run the vacuum, clean a bathroom. Then they might be as hot as I am. Wish me luck on that!

During the summer I sweat like a pig and I'd ideally like the A/C on 60. But in the interest of keeping costs down, the thermostat is set at 72-75. Cooling a home with electric is VERY expensive too. If I'm at home moving around and doing things, I lower it to 60 so I don't pass out.

Greta, 60F is 15.5C. 12C where you like it is 53.6F! Brrrr. That's cold! Then again, you're in Canada so you're used to cold temps.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course everyone's thermostats are different. A dear friend is owner of heating and air business, so I know there are lots of variables with your system vs my system (furnance & ac)and accuracy of actual temp from room to room. Is your thermostat calibrated with a hand held device that measures between the two?

Winter 68 day night 62
Summer 78 day night 74

I too hate to be cold. I wear two layers all winter long, sometimes 3. I also am very aware of utility prices $$$.

My husband's body is like a furnace, he radiates heat like a electric blanket in the winter. He's a meat man in the cooler all day long and I think he's body has adjusted his thermostat.

Our heating & air system is builder cheap grade and not efficient at all. We're about to spend the bucks to get efficient heat & cooling. Ouch!
Trying to think green eco green and not the money upfront green.

We also keep all ceiling fans in the home going 24/7, reversed for helping with heat or cool circulation.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
68 year round. And my ceiling fans run 24/7, year round. I don't understand why you would be comfortable at different temps, depending on season. Work is torture as my boss likes to keep it at 76

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
70 during the day. 60 at night.
Posts: 1687 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Haha! Beaches! [Big Grin]

Yes, today it was 10.6 degrees C in the house when I woke up.

My work is at 25.6 degrees C and it makes me sweat like a pig and feel terrible!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kayak... 50 ?? EEK!

We keep it around 72-74 in the summer also.

That beaches is one hot mama! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
day 70/72 - night 68

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
usually keep it around 75 degrees, any lower and I freeze.
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear I would be healthy if I lived somewhere 72 and sunny year round!!!! Actually, I'd be happier 75/80 and sunny.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greta, sure you're not an Eskimo?

LT, yep, I AM one hot mama (and sweating through the day!)

Can we all just move to the beautiful city of San Diego??? Our temp issues would be solved with the ocean breeze. We could look at and smell the ocean. We could eat good food.

We could also go broke very quickly! But hey, we can still dream.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah-insummer i need it 50 on ac but can only afford to keep one room like that

Kudz. I think equador is like that. Its on the equador-see i cant spell anything...but i heard they dont need windows-just screens and a few different types blankets

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklyholiday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklyholiday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Between 63 and 65...
Posts: 173 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Greta--I thought the British were hardy (no heat in bathrooms until recently), but not compared to you!

I've been looking up Lyme and temperature regulation issues because of my husband's hypothermia. Those of you who get cold easily are right to turn your heat up. This article has important information on chronic illnesses and the problems of low body temp. He focuses on CFS, but also includes Lyme:
http://davidjernigan.blogspot.com/2010/01/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-and-low-body.html

Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lpkayak:
Yeah-in summer i need it 50 on ac but can only afford to keep one room like that

-
I was wondering how you could afford that! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to set mine for around 65-68 at the highest. The dry heated air bothers my sinuses. We run a humidifier but the higher the heat, the better chance I will get a dry heat headache.

If we get cold, we use an infrared heater to get the chill out of the air. Heating that way seems to help me stay warm and spares my head the dry air headache. I still wear heavy sweatshirts and sweaters in the house.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear summer clothes and pj's all year long and it gets cold in winter PA. Hot in summer. Humid too......

I'm allergic to our oil heat so I keep temp in winter at 50 degrees, 60 in summer.

And yes, going bankrupt b/c of it but I cannot tolerate heat of any kind......not sure how much is lyme as I've been this way my whole life.

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

faithful.. I'm the same way. With Sjogren's the dry air is really hard on my eyes and sinuses.

Nice to know about the infrared heater. I've always wondered about those.

I would prefer the temp to be around 70 due to the dryness issue, but then the Raynaud's makes me too miserable to continue at that temp.

Ah well!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GretaM
Member # 40917

It is 9 degrees Celcius outside currently.

I have all my doors and windows open trying to cool down.

I feel so overheated I have the gaggers.

This really is terrible to feel this warm all the time. I hate it.

I'm sure it's just as bad for those of you who always feel cold.

The heat gives me the spins, nausea and a headache.

I am seriously contemplating sleeping on my balcony tonight. I just can't cool down.

Argh.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

So is that about 40 degrees??

[ 11-29-2013, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GretaM
Member # 40917

Haha! Maybe!

In my next life, I wish to be a penguin.

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not able to read what others wrote right now.

Not sure if I have all ready posted on this or not.

Trying to get electric bill down. It doubled since they put in new meters.

I did not turn heating on last month. Elec bill only went down by $10. Not good.

Now, I turn it on in the am to take the chill off of the apartment and then leave it off.

But, I am in bed most of the time and stay warm with long johns on and a down sleeping bag or comforter.

A neighbor pays about the same as I pay. She has her heating/air conditioning unit running almost 24/7.

it is under my window. Very annoying.

She complained about her elec bill. They told her it would be cheaper if she left her thermostat on 70 as having to heat things up is what causes her elec bill to be high.

Wrong.

She also has a window open most of the time and doens't close her door but uses the screen door...she is a smoker...guessing tha tis why she keeps a window and the screen door open...to let the smoke out.

OK getting off track.

Bottom ine is I have yet to figure out how to lower the elec bill after they put in the new meters.

Gussing I will just need to adjust to a bill that has doubled.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me. I need to pay that bill. HA!
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that some companies will give discounts to seniors. We use those discounts for taxes and water bills.

Every little bit helps.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with Beaches !! On Thanksgiving my son was
complaining it was cold in the house. I looked
at my sister and she said "come here in the
kitchen and work a bit- you will warm up!". He
rolled over on the couch and slept-with a blanket.

My DH is tall and thin. I am not. I have been a
hottie (my temp, not my looks)all my life. it is not fun to have sprinklers turn on in your hair, under your armpits, etc...it is a humid heat...it is not attractive. Got worse after Lyme.

Why is it that opposites do attract? Always a cold blooded person and a hot blooded person (again no correlation to "hottie")??

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Haha! Dogsandcats! Your post made me chuckle!

I am a hottie too! (definitely not in the looks department!) The sprinklers in my hair, armpits, boobs and back of my knees go 24/7! Haha.

Then my hair frizzes.

Real nice...

I hate grocery stores because I sweat instantly! I don't wear a jacket, cause I know better, but the grocery store, any type of shopping, I sweat buckets and feel faint from the heat!

My best friend wears capri pants and shoes with no socks in the dead of winter-so at least we're on the same page!

[Smile]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I used to be hot all the time. I think it all changed when I got treated for Lyme & Co. Now I'm cold all the time. UNLESS I'm in Texas.. then not so much! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

beaches
Member # 38251

LOL dogsandcats, that made me laugh. This Thanksgiving I was a guest (for once) and I had no complaints in the temperature department.

But today as we were putting up all the Christmas stuff DD asked if we could turn up the heat (as I was sweating). Was about to tell her to put on a sweatshirt til I noticed she was in heavy duty cold gear. Felt so bad so I turned up the thermostat til I was about to pass out from the heat.

Why do opposites attract? I have no idea!! All I know is that I sweat bigtime, especially my head and pits….two places where women do not want to sweat! My undereyes even sweat which really gets my goat after I’ve just applied eye makeup.

Oh, and let’s not even talk about the hair Greta. I don’t bother blowdrying in the summer. But in the wintertime, I feel like I am entitled to frizz-less hair when using the right products.

I do find that the hair looks so much better on the second, third, fourth day after blowdrying. Guess it’s the sweat working its magic [Roll Eyes]

I can’t remember the last time I wore a heavy jacket in winter. I learned a long time ago that I can't bundle up and walk into a store that way.

I have a lightweight coat and a pashmina scarf that I wear all winter long. The pashmina is awesome. You can wrap it around yourself if you feel a chill and can remove it when you feel warm. I hate gloves and socks.

LT, I bet you’re still a hottie [Big Grin]

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I just realized something.

It's not that I'm not cold when it's brrr cold, but I cannot tolerate fabrics touching my skin. so it's always light layers for me so I can rip some off (I'm neither a hottie or a stripper irl). LOL

I'm just hot cold hot cold...and I'm past menopause. This is worse b/c now I not only get hot flashes, but can be hit with cold flashes within minutes. And repeat.

Wacky world of lyme.....I used to only wear silk clothing for comfort...now I can't afford it. So it's cotton for me only.

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack! I'll go about my business now........ :-)

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Its in the 30s here at night and 60s during the day. I wear my alaska parka with the fur trim around.the.hood during the day and I sleep in flannel pjs under a.hudson blanket. Ithink its wool.

I'm freezing already amd winter has just started!!!!

Hmmmm...wonder if we can afford a condo in florida or somepla ce.

Anybody want a.housekeeper????

--------------------

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
healthywealthwise, I too am a layer(s)and I go back and forth during day/evenings with being cold on minute and plying on.

Peeling layers off a half hour later. I'm past menopause too. Never had night sweats with menopause or as a babs sx????

I've been doing this cold/hot since illness started and I was 42 and no it's never been a menopause symptom of mine. I did have some others.

I've always felt it my internal thermostat that didn't work. Yes, I'm hypothyroid and on meds, but something else that controlled my thermostat besides a thyroid sx.

The only time my thermostat worked was the 4-5 years I was on Cymbalta. It contains serotonin which is known to be important to the internal thermostat of your body.

I no longer felt Cymbalta was needed for depression and I certainly try to eliminate as many pharma drugs as I can.

Lyme & co eats our hormones, our nutrients, serotonin etc anything they can consume that make them stronger and us weaker.

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder it's such a war with it.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Its in the 30s here at night and 60s during the day. I wear my alaska parka with the fur trim around.the.hood during the day and I sleep in flannel pjs under a.hudson blanket. Ithink its wool.

I'm freezing already amd winter has just started!!!!

Hmmmm...wonder if we can afford a condo in florida or somepla ce.

Anybody want a.housekeeper????

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement