LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » low odor paint?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: low odor paint?
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any such thing as low odor paint for the trim on a house (interior).

Our house really needs some sprucing up and I have trouble with odors.

Thanks.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, just go to the store you wish and talk with a salesman. Lowes & Home depot might be better.

Also, try and get one that has the primer already in it. That way you only paint once.

Here's one to start with from Lowes>

http://www.lowes.com/pd_103335-86-72403A/01_0__?productId=3006048

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Steve! [Smile]

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. The Safecoat paint company specializes in paint and primer with almost no odor. They also have many products that are good for those with chemical sensitivities. I believe they're based in San Diego, CA.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't used it, but my brother painted his condo with a low VOC(volatile organic compound) paint and I did okay in his place after he used it.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Yolo paint. It does have a slight odor, but it aired out really fast.

Look for low/no VOC paint. There will be other chemicals in it though.

Milk paint is non-toxic, but I don't think it has the staying power.

AFM safecoat still has an odor. They have safe-seal to seal in paint to block out odor, but it will still smell until it's cured.

I'd call the companies for suggestions.

AFM had a whole procedure for airing out when I called them.

I went to the paint store and they sold me the wrong stuff for what I needed. The manufacturers can advise you well.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We recently repainted after mold remediation and used Harmony line from Sherwin Williams, which is Zero VOC.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/harmony_interior_acrylic_latex/

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aura by Benjamin Moore. It has less then 1 VOC.

This is the one I used to re-paint after mold remediation as well. It still has some other chemicals in it but I did okay with it. No major MCS reaction.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the Safecoat paint for renovation here a couple months ago. I wasn't around while it was drying. It has no smell now that I can detect, and I'm very chem sensitive.

I'm happy to see a thread on this topic, and that there are several product solutions being suggested!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Triple B
Member # 38746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Triple B         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've used Mythic to paint both the interior and exterior. I'm very chem sensitive (thak you, LD) but have never had a problem with it.

It's low odor, zero VOC. You can even get 16oz. samples to test out for your sensitivities.

"Traditional" stores don't generally carry it. Here's the website, there is a dealer locator on it. https://www.mythicpaint.com/index.aspx

My suggestion based on experience - test a few different paints. Everyone's sensitives are so unique to them and what works for one, might not work for someone else.

--------------------
"Courage is not the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength"
T. Roosevelt

Posts: 12 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Thanks everyone. I never knew there were so many choices.

Now to find a day when I have enough energy to follow through.

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Ok, we'll start you with very simple exercises - begin with light can lifting and work up to some poundage lifting at your own pace. Then use two hands to pop off an imaginary paint can top, then dip and lift an imaginary brush and put it back down - start with a couple times. Then rest.
linky123
Member # 19974

[Big Grin]

--------------------

pointermom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pointermom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used Behr paint and primer in one a few weeks ago

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-Ultra-1-Gal-Medium-Base-Satin-Enamel-Interior-Paint-775401/203202389?N=5yc1vZc9fp

It's not advertised as low odor or low VOC, but I didn't have any trouble with it and I'm usually sensitive to odors.

--------------------
One day closer to being cured.....

Posts: 104 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few additional thoughts as we just bought a little more paint this weekend, actually to paint some picture frames, since we weren't happy with what we could find in the picture frame stores.

"Low VOC" seems now to be defined as less than 50 grams of VOC's per liter. I imagine here 100 capsules containing 500 mg each of herbs. That is the amount, by weight, of VOC's allowed per liter of paint, in order to be "low VOC". Considering many VOC's are damaging well beyond their weight (meaning, a little bit goes a long way), this feels like quite a lot to me.

While there was some temptation to buy "low VOC" as it was available in small quantities that we needed, we in the end went with "no VOC".

Another point I was reminded of, some stores have available "no VOC" paint in stock, but then when you mix colors in it, it no longer is "no VOC", as the coloring agents often contribute to the VOC's. Just something to be aware of, to not be fooled by.

For example, as I posted earlier, we used Harmony line of Sherwin Williams, which is "no VOC". However, that does limit one to certain colors. Basically about the mid-range darkness to the lightest are available, and then the other 40% or so on the dark side is not available in Harmony, meaning, they'll give you that color, but it will have VOC's, i.e., Sherwin Williams hasn't figured out a way to make those darker colors without VOC's.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Be sure to get some sample paint and paint some scraps, substantial size - even cardboard might work. Live with that for a while before making any decision, if possible.

Also plan to have windows open for a couple weeks as much as possible (when the weather allows, even if just at night).

If you could have someone else paint (who would not be bothered) and if you could go away for a while.

Even some of the best "safe" paints in a doctor's office years ago really clobbered me. With the best of that "safe" kind - It took about two months of before I'd not be clobbered - and about four more of just not being affected to a lesser degree - when I went to that office.

But all they had was air conditioning, no way to open any windows.

However, I about top out the sensitivity chart. You may do just fine. Hope so. New, fresh color in our home can really life our spirits and senses in such a good way.

I'm told that if you can "bake it" to "cure it" it will all dissipate more quickly, too. That would involve -- after painting is done -- turning up the heat -- or just not turning on AC on a very hot day. And it's best to have all humans and pets out during that time.

But the humidity would be a factor, too, if humid, the AC would be vital to help reduce moisture.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Good ideas. Thanks.

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't read above, but there is a new NO ODOR, no VOC paint by Benjamin Moore:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/paint-products/natura-waterborne-interior-paint?lang=en_US&role=H#advs=0&tab=2

They would probably sell this at a real paint store- maybe not at a chain hardware store.

I love to paint....painted my whole house every time we moved. They have come a long way in paint chemical safety!

Have fun if you decide to do it!

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement