LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Bone Broth - Risk of Lead contam? Update.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bone Broth - Risk of Lead contam? Update.
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Update: Study the BRAND being considered. Some do test regularly and also some have practices in place to prevent / limit concerns.

See post of Nov. 10 below and I'm a happy camper.

-------- originally posted:

Even research for personal reasons is a process. Don't just rely on any one post. This is me as a work through a question and thought what I find along the way may be of help to others if they have such questions.

As with some of my "links sets" or puzzles, there may be no clear answers but thoughts presented for consideration.

Clearly, I do not have the stamina, brain power or hands able to type a full report. Still, a few key (gluten free) bread crumbs / tea leaves to read.

I've been making more chicken bone broth and getting more interested in this topic. Fortunately, I have a good source for organic "happy" chicken and beef, too.

I never thought about this. They have a point & for animals fed / raise traditional ways and around farm chemicals that often contain heavy metals / run-off, this would be a concern.

Air pollution covers all our skies, though, even when we can't see it. Some areas may be more dense, of course, still, air travels so do chemical particles swirling around it it. And rain brings it down.

Floods complicate and really all rivers and streams are a mix from miles and miles around.

But they never mention anything about ORGANIC meats.

I would think organically raised animals on "clean" land and with "clean" food, air & water would not have high lead levels.

But, then, it could depend on the air & water around, too. Industrial areas more likely, I suppose. How "clean" is "clean"? Even organically raised animals can't always avoid heavy metals from air, water.

Again, points to all the research required, down to seeking out the particular sources of all our foods, down to the very farm / ranch.

And bones do capture heavy metals.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23375414

Med Hypotheses. 2013 Apr;80(4):389-90. doi: 10.1016/j.mehy.2012.12.026. Epub 2013 Jan 31.

The risk of lead contamination in bone broth diets.
-

[ 11-10-2017, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Nickel can also leech out of stainless steel pots. For those who may have sensitivities to nickel.

Back to lead / heavy metals in bone question, another voice:

http://tamararubin.com/2017/03/bone_broth/

YES, there are high levels of lead in bone broth (and NO, it is not safe to ingest lead)!

by Tamara on March 28, 2017

Excerpt:

. . . Source your broth ingredients from known farms – where you have EVIDENCE that the farm

does not use leaded gasoline (which, as stated above, is still legal to use in farm equipment) and

does NOT have old lead painted farm buildings (it’s also perfectly legal for even organic farms to have old lead-painted buildings, vehicles, and industrial equipment!) and

does NOT have soil that is lead contaminated from previous / legacy leaded pesticide use, and

is NOT near a freeway or small airport that might have generated a lot of lead residue from leaded gasoline use [in the past for freeways and in the present for small airports (you guessed it – small planes still -legally- use leaded fuel!] that may have contaminated the soil. . . .

[Full article at link above, be sure to scroll all the way through it as the author addresses several contradicting views and makes some good points].

This also raises concerns about living near highways and airports, oh, my!
-

[ 10-07-2017, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gez Louise . . .

I've been living on chicken and beef bone broth for over a year now. I make it in a crock pot.

Never thought to research lead in bones.

Thanks Keebler.

Your posts are ALWAYS so informative.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Thanks, hope my posts are of some help but I know they always seem to require work or change of plans. I won't be trying to drink bone broth every day now until I study this more.

Well, stumbling upon this was disconcerting. There are voices that say "nah" but it makes sense and is worth a consideration.

I know when I tested for heavy metals, blood tests nor hair samples were accurate enough. A challenge DMSA urine collection was important to get a better sense. And, still, since heavy metals do lodge in our bones, it can be impossible to get a true test.

I also live just a couple miles from a freeway so more lead from truck exhaust is an issue for me.

[Of course, there are some things that can help such as cilantro, etc. but if we ingest things that contain heavy metals, that just seems counterproductive.]

Be sure your crock pot liner does not contain lead, too. Some of the older ones might, in the ceramic clay or glazing. Be sure the lid is glass, not plastic.

There is so much to think about. Still, it is worth the time and effort for it's impossible to think about it all. It takes time and research.

This might be were "all things in moderation" matters. Many got into the green smoothie craze and that's not so good regarding some of the aspects [high oxalates if I recall correctly].

So, a little bone broth to enhance a beef stew or chicken dish might be different than drinking it daily.

I simmer chicken bones in just enough water to cover nicely overnight in the oven at about 230 degrees.

I like to mix it into my glass jars (to freeze) with baked chicken for richness of the meal. I let the broth gel in fridge before putting into jars, 2/3 full and then freeze with lid just place on top but not sealed tight until fully frozen (to prevent any glass jar breakage).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Also to consider: glutamate content.

Of course, still use the best organic sourced ingredients

Too tired to make a proper post with this but will try shorthand for the information is important.

Basically, those with "MS" kinds of neuro issues - as in lyme - should not have too much glutamate as it's neuroexcitaory, even neuro damaging if too much.

Some bone broths can contain a lot of glutamine / glutamic acid.

I only got up to the 17 minute mark of this lecture that talks about, SHORT COOKED vs. LONG COOKED bone broth for those with

autism (& and, I'm interjecting: other neuro issues).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrgETZzb0A

Bone Broth + health: A look at the Science

45-minute presentation - Aug 11, 2014

Kaayla Daniel, Ph.D., CCN

at 16:00 is where she begins about glutamate and cooking methods
-

[ 10-09-2017, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

See post: Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine (3 excitatory amino acids that can be wrong for us when added as supplements, beyond a normal dietary level)

Seaweed has its own natural MSG (monosodium glutamate) and can be very excitatory
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Powdered gelatin might have similar concerns.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Pb = lead . . . Cd = Cadmium

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5533136/

Food Nutr Res. 2017; 61(1): 1347478.

ESSENTIAL and TOXIC METALS IN ANIMAL BONE BROTHS

July 18, 2017

Excerpts:

. . . Method

Three sets of controlled experiments were performed to study the factors (cooking time, acidity, bone type and animal species) that influence metal extractions.

Three types of animal bone broth-based foods were also tested.

Results: Reducing the broth pH from 8.38 to 5.32 significantly (p < 0.05) increased Ca and Mg extraction by factors of 17.4 and 15.3, respectively.

A long cooking time, > 8 h, yielded significantly higher (p < 0.05) Ca and Mg extraction than shorter cooking times.

The extraction characteristics of metals, particularly Ca, Mg, Cu and Al, from the leg and rib bones differed. The between-species variations in extraction were larger than those of within-species.

Conclusions:

The Ca and Mg levels in home-made or commercial broth/soup were found not to exceed low tenths of milligram per serving, or <5% of the daily recommended levels.

The risks that are associated with the ingestion of heavy metals such as Pb and Cd in broth are minimal because the levels were in the ranges of a few μg per serving.

[Full article / report / charts at link above]
-

[ 10-09-2017, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
. . . There is no such thing as a “safe” level of exposure to lead. . . .

. . . The researchers "did only use bones from organic, free-range chickens" . . . .

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/lead-contamination-bone-broth/

Lead Contamination in Bone Broth

Michael Greger M.D. FACLM April 18th, 2016 Volume 30

Organic chicken broth is popular with paleo diet advocates, but do tests indicate the presence of the toxic heavy metal lead?

[Just below subject heading, click onto the "Transcript" tab to open article]

. . . There is no such thing as a “safe” level of exposure to lead. . . .

. . . If it [lead] builds up in bones, though, what about boiling bones for broth? We know bones sequester lead, and such lead can then leach from the bones;

so, they figured that bone broth made from the bones of farmyard animals might carry a risk of being contaminated with lead. . . .

. . . Broth made from chicken bones was found to have markedly high lead concentrations, up to a 10-fold increase in lead.

In view of the dangers of lead consumption to the human body, they recommend that doctors and nutritionists take the risk of lead contamination into consideration when advising patients about bone broth diets. . . .

. . . But what if you only use bones from organic, free-range chickens?

The researchers in the literature cited above did only use bones from organic, free-range chickens.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bonnie .. Be aware that cooking bone broth in a crock pot will greatly increase histamine which can make you feel like C$#%.

If/when I make bone broth .. rare these days... I use my Instant Pot.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Further thought

[regardless of which study, for any study she raises excellent points]:

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/bones-to-pick-with-the-lead-in-bone-broth-study/

Bone to Pick with the Lead in Bone Broth Study

by Kaayla T. Daniel, Ph.D.

Updated: September 25, 2017

Excerpts:

. . . Let’s take a closer look at that study.

Types of Broth Used to Test for Lead

The researchers cooked up and tested the following for lead.

Broth made from tap water plus skin and cartilage

Broth made from tap water plus bone

Broth made from tap water plus meat

Tap water alone cooked for the same amount of time as a control.

. . . Researchers Not Clear on How Lead Containing Broth was Made . . . .

. . . Unanswered Questions: Cookware and Water Used

. . . Types of Chickens Used and Their Feed . . . .

. . . Farms Where the Chickens Were Raised . . . .

. . . Groundwater Contamination? . . . .

. . . Fluoridated Water? Another confounding factor could have been fluoridated water.
Fluoride and lead have high synergy, and fluoride has been proven to increase lead accumulation in birds and mammals. . . .

. . . Lead in the Soil? . . . .

. . . UK Has Environmental Lead Issues . . . .

. . . Other Studies . . .

. . . In conclusion, there are many reasons to think the broth used for the Breakspear Medical Group’s study was a contaminated sample.

At the very minimum, a competent study would have tested broth made from chickens grown in several locations and provided full information about the chickens’ living conditions.

Competent researchers would also have tested the chickens’ feed, water and soil for lead. . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrgETZzb0A

Bone Broth + health: A look at the Science

45-minute presentation - Aug 11, 2014

Kaayla Daniel, Ph.D., CCN
-

[ 10-09-2017, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Bonnie .. Be aware that cooking bone broth in a crock pot will greatly increase histamine which can make you feel like C$#%.

If/when I make bone broth .. rare these days... I use my Instant Pot.

Did not want this to get lost amid various article excerpts.
-

Jubilee
Member # 30343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Instant Pot cooking reduce histamine content over crock pot?
Posts: 89 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jubilee
Member # 30343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Instant Pot cooking reduce histamine content over crock pot?
Posts: 89 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, I wonder if this bone attraction to lead and cadmium does not explain why so many people suffer from RA or other athritic diseases / osteoarthrosis...

I always felt that my cartilages and bones attracted junk, that is how I explained, and because of that I got 'lyme' symptoms there. When lyme went away, I still got low grade inflammation, that came slowly but surely (not fast like lyme was).

I used to think that bones and cartilage do not have enough circulation (lymph) that is why they could not clean the garbage we ingest / drink / breathe...

Well... we are not really different from animals that concentrate their heavy metal charges in the bones and joints...

Thanks for posting this info!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Update . . . studying this a bit more as I really want some good Turkey broth and my abilities to make it are limited beyond just around Thanksgiving.

As with anything we ingest, more study seems required these days. So, explore first local sources and then out from there.

I find this brand delicious - and good - for many reasons. While plastic pouches are used, it's BPA free, at least. And, at least they do chill the broth BEFORE filling the pouches, etc.

http://bonafideprovisions.com/faq/

BONAFIDE BONE BROTHS

FAQ

. . . Q: Do you test your broth for heavy metals? I’ve heard there could be lead in bone broth.

Answer: We have had lab testing done on our broths for heavy metal and lead content and there are no detectable levels of lead in any of our broths.

Chris Kresser has a fantastic explanation what you should and shouldn’t worry about that we recommend checking out here:

[poster's note: while I'm not about to take just one person's opinion - and I do not trust the government to tell me that ANY level of lead or some other toxic heavy metal is safe,

still, this brand does testing and has certain procedures in place and that's more important to me. It's not always so clear cut so we do our own homework, too, eh?]

https://chriskresser.com/bone-broth-and-lead-toxicity-should-you-be-concerned/
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement