LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Applying Tea Tree Oil to Surgical Tools Kills Biofilms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Applying Tea Tree Oil to Surgical Tools Kills Biofilms
Charlie Fitzgerald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Fitzgerald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5821197/Applying-tea-tree-oil-extracts-surgical-tools-kill-deadly-bugs.html

Remember hearing about patients who get a colonoscopy and then come down with an antibiotic resistant infection and die, especially the older patients. Well that's due to hopsitals not being able to sanitize their tools properly. The bacteria has evolved and developed a protective barrier to prevent the bacteria from dieing, aka biofilms. Hence biofilms with Lyme Disease!

We never had this problem disinfecting tools back in the day, just like how Lyme Disease was a lot easier to treat in the Lyme Conneticut days. I like to think that coinfections still play a role why Chronic Lyme is hard to treat, which without a doubt they are like Babesia. But remember, if you don't penetrate the biofilm to kill off the persister cells, you won't get anywhere with treating this disease, just like how the bacteria will keep coming back on surgical tools.

Has anyone used Tea Tree Oil with Lyme, curious, I never tried it. A lot of the stuff you find at the store is applied topically. I tried Stevia, which is a really good candidate for biofilms. I used Stevia with Dapsone and Pyrazinamide, had a lot of success with it. And after using Disulfiram with Stevia, I stopped relapsing when I'm off all my antibiotics with Lyme Disease.

Interesting article though, may help Lyme Patients to understand why they keep relapsing and their lyme infection keeps coming back. Just like applying bleach on surgical tools, even if you destroy 70% of the biofilms and bacteria, this "carpet" of bacteria, will keep coming back.

Interesting fact from the article "Around 550,000 fatalities each year are attributed to these biofilms in the US." I wonder how much that statistic would be increased if people who die from Lyme would be accounted for.

Posts: 108 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Fitzgerald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Fitzgerald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was also posted on Daily Mail today! Heartbreaking!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5829999/Girl-5-left-temporarily-paralyzed-unable-speak-bitten-tick.html

By the way, what's going on with that useless tick group? Meanwhile this is happening on a daily basis!

We already know why the lyme goes chronic? Numerous studies exposing persister cells and biofilms, meanwhile they have a discussion on Chronic Lyme every 3-4 months and play dumb, twiddle their thumbs... Like there's no such thing as an antibiotic resistant infection!

Depopulation? Sure seems like it!

I heard Dr. H is starting to use Disulfiram on their patients, which is great to hear. After taking the drug myself, along with Stevia, this is the best I've felt in the 7-8 years of antibiotic treatment.

Posts: 108 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chatlie Fitzgerald

Love your posts.

I have always been fascinated with the ISS (International Space Station) medical research projects. This is the future.

Would like your opinion on the use of Cold Plasma on biofilms.

http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/spaceflight/space-medicine/future-space-medical-devices-robot-cold-plasma/

P.S. I infuse Tea Tree Oil, have TTO shampoo, TTO soap, TTO body oils. I have not ingested it, yet.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Fabulous use for Tea Tree oil to help sterilize surgical instruments - or other things, too. It is a remarkable substance.

Just a note in case anyone might try this, though: Tea Tree oil is too strong to take internally & could burn. There may be a certain level of dilution for internal use but there are safer things for that.

There is a mixture that includes it that I use for my mouth, though - sometimes for brushing teeth as all the toothpastes in this world burn badly, even the "natural ones".

https://www.vitacost.com/desert-essence-tea-tree-oil-skin-ointment-1-fl-oz

Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Skin Ointment -- 1 fl oz

Ingredients:

Prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil,

cetyl esters (plant derived),

beeswax,

melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil,

simmondsia chinenesis (jojoba) seed oil,

tocopherol (vitamin E),

lavandula angustifolia ( lavender) oil.

For TOPICAL treatment.

Ask your doctor or dentist though. I have neither to ask and it seems to do okay for me. Though I would not use internally other than just a tiny bit in the mouth for a short time and the spit out in a kleenex and put in trash.

Do not spit down the sink. Oils can clog plumbing pipes.
-

[ 06-12-2018, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Fitzgerald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50657

quote:
Originally posted by Bartenderbonnie:
Hey Chatlie Fitzgerald

Love your posts.

I have always been fascinated with the ISS (International Space Station) medical research projects. This is the future.

Would like your opinion on the use of Cold Plasma on biofilms.

http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/spaceflight/space-medicine/future-space-medical-devices-robot-cold-plasma/

P.S. I infuse Tea Tree Oil, have TTO shampoo, TTO soap, TTO body oils. I have not ingested it, yet.

Quite fascinating! That's how a lot of breakthroughs are made, by venturing out into the unknown like space!

It would be nice for some of these breakthroughs to finally make it to the civilian sector side of things and start saving lives. I read about breakthroughs every day, but what actually makes it to the public baffles me...

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/herbs/stevia/

Stephen Buhner, Master Herbalist, blog reply - June 21, 2017

Answer - Excerpt:

4) . . . NOTE:

Most herbs contain substances that help break up biofilms; plants figured out how to do that millions of years ago.

Plants get sick, just like us, they can’t go to the doctor, they can’t call a medic, they have to treat their own diseases by figuring out what is wrong and crafting substances to deal with the infections they have. .

Part of the reason they are better than drugs is that they contain multiple substances that they have created to deal with bacteria –

they had to deal with biofilms so they created biofilm breaking agents, and so on.

There is a list of perhaps 40 herbs that break up biofilms in the second edition of Healing Lyme, this is by no means exhaustive.

ALL plants break up biofilms to varying extents. . . .

(I have read, at a conservative estimate, some 30,000 journal articles on bacteria, viruses, and herbs over the past 5 years, many of them are listed in the bibliographies in my last 5 medical herbals.

Some of the bibliographies run rather long, in Healing Lyme alone it is over 50 pages long.)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Fitzgerald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50657

Keebler, anytime herbs are brought up, we don't need a reference from Stephen Buhner like he's some type of herbal God that knows all.

Fact of the matter is, "most plants" aren't effective at killing off the "majority" of biofilms in bacterial infections, if they did, we wouldn't be here debating about what works and what doesn't on biofilms.

There's only a select few that work "effectively" on biofilms! Stevia is one of them!!!

I really don't care what Buhner has to say about Stevia. It's already shown to work well in numerous studies, why would I need any criticism from a herbalist when we've seen opinions from Dr. S who is a microbiologist. I've tried it with different perister cell drugs and it worked very effecitvely for me. As other patients reported through Dr. H's office in New York.

quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-

There is a list of perhaps 40 herbs that break up biofilms in the second edition of Healing Lyme, this is by no means exhaustive.

Oh is there now, lol. Show me the studies!

If these 40 herbs work so great on biofilms, why are Lyme patients still relapsing and we still haven't found the cure for Lyme yet?

Buhner guesses on what herb works on biofilms, round body forms, and different coinfections.

I want "recent" studies backing what herb works on what, not guessing from some herbalist that wants to sell me his book.

People mentioned in this article hold degrees and have studies backing Tree Oil as an effective biofilm busting agent, they aren't guessing.

James Cook University scientists
Professor Mohan Jacob
Dr Katia Bazaka

Just because all plants have antimicrobial properties, it doesn't make them effective at killing borrelia bacteria, along with biofilms. Most fail!

Everytime an interesting article is brought up about a herb, here comes at least one Lyme patient that tries top yours suggesting Stephen Buhner said this, Kinghardt said that. Give me a break!

I really don't care what either of them have to say, they're both old news with old protocols! You have a recent study that's interesting, please chime in!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"Tree Oil as an effective biofilm busting agent, they aren't guessing." end quote

I never said they are guessing - I've been reading about Tea Tree oil a lot - as it helps my mouth tremendously.

I never said one word about stevia in my post. Though the link directs to that question about it asked, it's the rest of his answer that interests me the most. That's what I posted.

I never said Tea Tree oil does not / is not excellent in this regard. It seems perfectly suited to instruments as it's light and not really oily. It almost evaporates and steaming along with that would clear any residue.

However, it's not intended for internal use. It's very strong and can burn tissue. There may be some degree of dilution that would work internally but my point was that right now there are others available, too, that have some effect on biofilm.

The research citations / references are in his book for the research done on plants.

True, "most plants" may not have the power for our purposes yet he does point to 40 that top the list -- and the few that are best. They also deserve a consideration.

As he points out, the research citations are at the end of his book.

While many of us are familiar with Buhner's works / books . . . I always try to think of anyone new to lyme, TBD when I post. Others may tire of some repeated excerpts but new eyes may well stumble upon any thread.

Zhang's book on Chinese Herbs and Lyme also point to garlic as help with biofilm. That, too, even raw cloves requires a special way to consume so that burns are avoided.

No post encompasses all knowledge. Yet, in the spirit of sharing and helping, I hope to prevent some from making the same mistakes as I did or might have made..

There might have been a time when I would have ingested some Tea Tree oil without much thought. Other strong oils taught me though, that gel caps are better for some such as for Oregano oil, even peppermint oil.

I would have appreciated exposure to a wide range of thought on any aspect of treatment when I first started out. It may be more for those new to all this that I post. Others who have seem it before can skip ahead.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Tea Tree oil is in a lot of toothpastes. From my file notes:

PubMed Search:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Tea+tree+oil%2C+plaque

Tea tree oil, plaque - 11 abstracts

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24485734

Antimicrobial effect of Melaleuca alternifolia dental gel in orthodontic patients.

Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014 Feb;145(2):198-202. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.10.015.

. . . the melaleuca gel was more effective in decreasing the dental biofilm and the numbers of bacteria colonies . . . .
---

Just be sure any product is gluten free and free of GMO-products, too. Even if on skin, some "other" ingredients can pose problems for many who either have celiac or are wheat sensitive. And, wheat germ, should be avoided in any topicals and lip balms as well.
-

[ 06-12-2018, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement