LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » what does a teacher look like??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what does a teacher look like??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, i admit it. i'm a dinosaur...

on a political board they were discussing this wisconsin thing. somebody posted that they interviewed one of the "protestors" who was at the capital building.

he looked dirty, unkempt, had tatooed arms, long stringy hair. he professed to be a teacher.

now i'm sorry but he didn't look like any teacher i have ever had or have known.

our teachers here all look like very young professionals, neat, clean, etc.

this person was attacked because she said he didn't look like a teacher. they called her inappropriate and other names.

i kind of side with her. i just can't imagine teachers nowadays looking like something that crawled from underneath a rock. standing there banging drums and all like it was in the 60's.

ok, i'm over 60 but still....geez...

where was i? oh yeah. so i need your opinions. what DO teachers look like now?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MANY people are being "shipped into" Wisconsin to protest. No telling what this guy's real job is... he probably doesn't have one.

Teachers are not the same as they were 10-20 yrs ago. It's very distressing to me since I was a teacher for 21 yrs. Everyone I knew was trustworthy and usually God-fearing. No more.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for climber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a teacher and I dress for success. You have to represent yourself and the public in a respectful and appropriate manner. You are caring for and teaching children and it's imperative that it is done in a professional manner. Maybe that guy was celebrating casual day. I have been teaching for some time now, and for the most part, I am surrounded by very dedicated and compassionate people. Just like with any profession, you will find a few stragglers, but they seen to be everywhere. So what does this teacher look like? I like to think of myself as a cross between Bad Pitt and George Clooney. I wear a sport-jacket like Clooney, but shorts like Pitt. Then again, I people have said that I was delusional-just kidding
climber

Posts: 108 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he supposedly had dirty long hair, tatooes covering both arms, apparently she said skanky looking.

i just can't imagine a teacher looking like that, but then again, i've been out of college a long time.

and i'm so old fashioned i would not want somebody that looks like that teaching my child.

and what's more, don't some school district have some kind of er, dress code for teachers or something?

and yes one person admitted that he was only 21, unemployed and was from Michigan, not Wisconsin.

still i think she was entitled to her opinion on this, whether she was liberal or conservative, or pro this or that.

i think she also referred to them trashing the capitol and it must have made some people upset.

just a different opinion on things.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that people were urinating on the capitol building floors. That's why they had to clear the people out. They were ruining it. Can't imagine the smell.

climber.. [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camp Other
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he was an art teacher from Southern California? I expect people who work in the arts and tattoo parlors, engineers, musicians, computer programmers, web designers, and political activists to generally be less professionally conservative in appearance - but that doesn't always follow. I've run into people who have broken stereotypes all my life, so I don't know what to expect at this point.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camp Other
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An example: A tattooed guy with ear and eyebrow piercings, a death metal t-shirt, and bedhead hair with orange dyed tips turned out to be... a young Republican who was a devout Christian. I've decided I can't always predict how someone is until I talk to them. That "judging a book by its cover" bit.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Camp.. Things are certainly "different" these days. I think I saw the guy you are referring to .. on TV ..right?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two teachers were video taped by a student who was appalled at their behavior during class.

The two teachers had put on Hip-hop music and started to jirate,and dance extremely sexually together.

The students were shocked, so they video taped it on their phone and showed the principal. It ended up on the news.

THese teachers did this during school hours, during the day, during a class!

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a true story!

[shake] [shake] [shake] [shake] [shake]

I feel so sad for our kids.

I remember when I was in school, noticing that one of our youngest teachers, who was kinda cute, having the hots for a beautiful student. It was so obvious to me and I was only 17.

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

well i'm going to date myself but maybe somebody on here can relate.

i got suspended for wearing culottes, you know divided skirts....

i was so bad....

and my sister was suspended for putting a rinse on her hair.

boy, those were the days.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

We weren't allowed to wear pants until high school!!! Only if it got down to freezing could we wear pants to school!

and we couldn't wear flip-flops either.

I remember when they used to measure your mini-skirt (from the floor)...yep, those were the days!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope a teacher looks like me...... [hi]

because I have decided to bag the child day care and the real estate (even though I passed all my tests), and become a school sub for K-2.

If it works out, I will pursue my teaching degree.

Thanks for everyone's consistent support.
[group hug]

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

just be carefull about teaching older students.

this actually happened to a friend of my sister. she was and probably still is quite pretty.

she was attacked by the boys in the class. others guarded the door. she was not raped but darn near close.

she never went back to teaching.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Sounds great, 2Roads!! Good luck!

randi.. now that's scary!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that is awful randi.

I will be with the little ones though, and...well, I'm not sure you could catagorize me as anything near pretty anymore.... [shake]
Thanks for the wise words though.

...and thanks Tutu for the good wishes.

I'll let you all know how it's going when I get my first calls.

I hope to make a positive difference.
[group hug]

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will make a positive difference, 2roads, just by caring.

Every school district I have associated with has a dress code. Some will let some minor things go, like one male teacher I know with a tongue ring. People barely noticed it, if they did at all. He is a true professional and his students learn.

I like what climber said about dressing for success. It's not just about professionalism and elevating public perception of teachers... it's about being a positive role model for students.

That said, it's also about the age group a person teaches. I wouldn't want my young elementary child's teacher to come in every day in a skirt suit--how could she get down to my child's level comfortably to play or have a heartfelt chat?

But high school teachers should be modeling how one presents themselves to employers and colleagues in a professional manner. Hygiene is a high priority. [Smile]

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement