LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Post Lyme - VOTE to Raise Funds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Post Lyme - VOTE to Raise Funds
brf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VOTE FOR WPI TODAY !!!

Friends~

Millions of men, women and children around the globe suffer from Neuro-Immune Disease. These often debilitating and life-long diseases, including M.E., CFS, fibromyalgia, post Lyme disease, GWI and autism, have too few medical solutions. Please help us by opening a clinic to those who cannot afford care.
The Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease (WPI) is 1 out of 100 charities that won a $25,000.00 grant during the first round of Chase Community Giving. Now, WPI is competing for a $500,000.00 grant, and you can help! Please cast your vote, ask your Facebook friends to vote, and spread the word about the important work of WPI. If you have a Facebook account, please cast your vote for WPI by following the instructions below beginning May 18th at 9 pm PST through May 26th at 9 pm PST.

How To Vote?
Since the contest takes place on Facebook, you need a Facebook account to vote.
I do not have a Facebook Account - go to www.facebook.com and quickly create a page. Since you must `like' Community Chase Giving first in order to vote go to Community Chase's Facebook page http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving and click on the `Like' button. Now use the links below to vote.
I have a Facebook Account but have not voted before - You must `Like' Community Chase Giving first in order to vote. Go to http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving and click on the `Like' button. Now use this link to go to their Chase page and click on the `Vote Now' button. http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/205904991-whittemore-peterson-institute-fo
I have a Facebook account and have voted before - Go to this link and click on the `Vote Now' button. http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/205904991-whittemore-peterson-institute-fo

Please remember our neuro-immune disease community and share in the Love and Giving by voting for other organizations who speak to your heart -- you can vote for up to 5 organizations per Facebook account.

CHASE COMMUNITY GIVING: BIG IDEA

The Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease (WPI) was created to answer a critical need for discovery and medical treatments for those with serious illnesses that impact the body and the brain. It is the first comprehensive translational medical research facility dedicated to neuro-immune disease research, treatment, education and outreach.
WPI continues to make significant strides through the work of our innovative research program. Translating novel research into effective patient treatments for millions around the world will begin with the opening of our 10,000 sq. ft. medical facility. Here we can engage in revealing clinical trials and provide onsite care to those who are unable to afford care. We require funding for initial expenses and to establish a patient fund. WPI's commitment to discovery has already inspired much hope worldwide. Now it is time to put hope into action by offering meaningful patient care to these underserved populations.

Please place this message at the end of each email for the entire week of voting.

Please take a moment to vote and ask your family, friends and other organizations to vote too!!! Chase Community Giving is giving us a chance to win a $500,000.00 grant for the Whittemore Peterson Institute. Together we can make this happen!

Voting is one week only and begins May 18th at 9 pm PST and ends May 25th at 9 pm PST. Voting is allowed from all countries worldwide. Thank you for your support!!!

More about Neuro Immune Disease: http://www.anida.co/what-is-nid.html
More about WPI: www.wpinstitute.org
More about Chase Community Giving Contest: http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/?ref=ts

Posts: 191 | From Ontario | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish they would drop Lyme- or "post Lyme" as they are now calling it- from this group's NEI disease list.

The IDiots and CDC are already having a field day trying to keep people from being treated adequately by calling Lyme an auto-immune disease that doesn't need antibiotic treatment, so why does WPI want to follow that same path?

It does NOT help us to do that. It hurts us. UGGGGGG!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the premise is that many with Lyme that have not responded to treatment and are still ill may be suffering from a virus or viruses causing an immune dysfunction.

I don't see where it hurts us. I see lumping it in with NIDS helps explain why so many of us are still not getting well despite aggressive and prolonged treatment.

This group is not just looking at one disease state in isolation of all of the others. It is finding commonalities in all of these diseases and questioning why. This is cutting edge research expanding all the time. By voting to secure funds for the WPI is a huge step in the right direction.

For Heaven's Sake - there is nothing to lose and everything to gain - VOTE!

Posts: 191 | From Ontario | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted for this, because I think its important for those with true CFS, fibro etc.

But the fact remians that as long as they think it is "post Lyme", they will not be looking into chronic infection. They won't look for ways to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

IT hurts people who go to the center with chronic infection since they will not get long term treatment.

And, it hurts us in the sense it perpetuates an idea that is incorrect.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8748

Hi Amanda,

Thanks so much for voting. Deadline is tomorrow night and $500,000 could go a long way in the hands of an organization such as the WPI who seem to squeeze the most from so little. They want to begin treatment strategies right away.

I appreciate the points being made. I understand wording and names can be everything - CFS as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a perfect example of a horrendously debilitating condition with a trivializing name.

Myself I've been diagnosed with both - plus a few others. Personally, I don't really care what they call it for now. What I care about is someone, somewhere DOING SOMETHING to make some headway to regain anything our health before any more of us become statistics. And the WPI seems to be the best bet for this at the moment.

ME/CFS, post or chronic Lyme - if they have the same underlying cause of a virus that's resulting in a dysfunctional immune system that's unable to clear any infections, the name won't be as important anymore and possibly change anyway.

But progress needs to made first and I feel we have a real chance at seeing that with the WPI.

brf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8748

Correction: Deadline is Wednesday, May 25th, Midnight EST (not tomorrow as previously posted). Apologies from my fried brain.
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with the complaint about post-Lyme - it's not post Lyme, it's present Lyme!

I just checked on the facebook site about them, and clicked on their mission statement, which says "chronic lyme," not post Lyme. So maybe they're ok at their own site?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8748

Yes, they do use both terms. Basically, their focus on Lyme is on the Lyme patients who have undergone treatment yet still remain very ill so I guess in essence it is post treatment for Lyme.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement