LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is organic white jasmine rice ok to eat on a candida diet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is organic white jasmine rice ok to eat on a candida diet?
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Posts: 574 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone?
Posts: 574 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rice is not allowed. My now famous lyme doctor allowed "a little brown rice about once per week."

Why bother.

You can't eat grains. You can substitute quinoa since it is a seed. It makes a great rice substitute.

Read the rules of the anti-yeast diet in Burrascano, page 34-35

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
No. Sorry. It's white, processed and far too "simple" a sugar.

If you deal with candida, I think even the brown rice should be avoided and go for the very dark ones (mainly WILD rice) . . . still in moderation with VEGGIES carrying the meal.

WILD RICE is a GRASS that may serve you well since it's composition is a bit different than even the red & black rices.

RED Quinoa is even more complex than the regular, too. There is also a black quinoa but I've not yet found that.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you enjoy the aroma of Jasmine rice, you might want to get some Jasmine TEA.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told no as well, but must say that every once in a while I do have some.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Along the lines of Chinese Forbidden Black Rice:
-----------

http://www.livestrong.com/article/281533-jasmine-black-rice-nutrition/

Thai Jasmine Black Rice

Excerpts:

. . . one serving size of 1/4 cup of uncooked black rice contains 160 calories, 1.5 g of fat, 34 g of carbohydrates, 2 g of fiber and 7.5 g of protein.

Black rice also contains calcium, iron, niacin, potassium and zinc. . . .

. . . Black jasmine rice owes its coloring to a mix of flavonoid anthocyanin antioxidants, which have shown promise in fighting heart disease, cancer and other ailments.

In fact, while speaking at a meeting of the American Chemical Society, Dr. Zhimin Xu of Louisiana State University, stated a spoonful of black rice provides all the same health benefits as a spoonful of blueberries,

except without the sugar and with even more fiber and vitamin E antioxidants. . . .

==================================

http://www.livestrong.com/article/155649-nutrients-in-steamed-black-rice/

Nutrients in Steamed Black Rice

Excerpts:

Nutrition-wise, black rice blasts white rice out of the water. . . .

. . . Black rice remains rich in fiber, protein, minerals and other nutrients that confer health benefits such as diabetes prevention, digestion support and muscle tissue repair. . . .

Benefit: PROTECTION AGAINST DIABETES

. . . Black rice is a whole grain with LOW GLYCEMIC VALUE.

You metabolize it slowly and are not subject to the unhealthy blood-sugar spikes or uptick in blood triglycerides that contribute to type 2 diabetes . . .

(Also see the benefits of other minerals and nutrients in black rice)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
IMO, there is no one single "candida diet" that works for everyone. It's good to study those by the top "experts" and discuss with your LLMD what YOUR food plan should embrace or discard.

Still, simple carbs won't be part of any of the "candida" or even "lyme" diets -- and simple carbs really don't belong in a human diet, anyway.

There are differences of opinion and preferences among the various "candida diets" but it comes down to what works for each person at various points in time and treatment.

I kept passing out from hypoglycemia when I went with just protein and veggies. Veggies just did not have the glycemic endurance as the WHOLE grains for MY body.

I could never do without the non-gluten "grains" (which are really mostly seeds, grasses and legumes). But, the portion size became much more appropriate at 1/4 cup, with VEGGIES still being the main event.

I also should never have gone totally fruit-free. I really needed those dark berries and tart apples.

[Though some with candida just can't tolerate even a bit of those low sugar fruits and have to find other ways to get those nutrients and fiber.]

I also wish I had known years earlier about Olive Leaf Extract.

That is fantastic to help against candida. But only the Seagate brand or the Myrolea-B formulas. Others had no effect.

Diet is essential in avoiding and controlling excess candida growth systemically. That's always going to be the case, even with individual variations.

But, really, with all we know about simple carbs, it appears best they be avoided by all humans. Whole foods make the difference.

Still, I think that candida would not have a chance to take such a hold if everyone could start at least a week BEFORE EVEN STARTING antibiotics,

DIET

PROBIOTICS (always separate from Rx and from supplements, on an empty stomach)

OLE (or other anti-candida herbal formula)

Nystatin is also a good basic helper
-

[ 04-25-2012, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Thank you, TF for your response. I was eating quinoa and some brown rice until I found out that they have high/medium oxylates (I need to watch oxylates due to kidney stones).

I was told by a clinical nutritionist that organic white jasmine rice is low in oxylates and also ok for a candida diet, but I guess she's mistaken about it being ok for candida.

Thank you Keebler, for all the great info/ suggestions re the candida diet, OLE, and black rice.....I will check to see what level of oxylates this rice has.....hopefully it will be on the low side.....like you, I need to have some grain and a little fruit in my diet to feel well.

What's the best online source for food products like black rice etc? Where do you buy your Seagate OLE?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If you can manage a little fruit, the dark berries and tart apples are best - but AFTER a meal, never alone.

There MAY other ways to help prevent kidney stones besides avoiding foods with oxylates. Just don't cause deficiency. It's about balance.

Sometimes a food may have oxylates but the overall balance of nutrients might still be good for your body. Good amounts of water, too, help.

Have you actually had kidney stones and had one tested to see the composition of it?

The herb, Stonebreaker [aka: Chanca Piedra (Phyllanthus niruri)] can be very beneficial. You would use all three of those names for your search at the web and on PubMed.

=========================

http://www.seagateproducts.com/olive-leaf-extract.html

SEAGATE OLE
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Keebler, have not had a kidney stone yet. Thanks for the link to Seagate products.

I agree Keebler, I have to make sure I don't create a deficiency by restricting my diet too much.

Thanks, Lymetoo for your response.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement