LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is low fat diet the answer? Dr. F thinks so. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is low fat diet the answer? Dr. F thinks so.
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff, you look GREAT!!
And beautiful flowers :-)

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Pic Neff! glad to put a face to you after all these years! Looking great!

And yes, this has nothing to do with losing weight! I wish I COULD lose weight. And low fat is the healthiest thing I've ever done! Whole foods.... how can they be fake? Give me fresh veggies and fruits any day.

Again, it's a 'free' treatment for the protozoan and other protozoan's out there. It was the missing link for me all those years of treatment.

Yes, I'll always treat with drugs too... but if I can call that my 'normal' and live ok, why not.

I've been seeing dr. F for over 7 yrs now. He really was my missing link too. As my name says, back in 1999 when I was first treated for lyme and babs I thought, 'ok... this sort of makes sense, but not completely'. Then when I relapsed and was living in Scottsdale, I found through our lyme support group this dr. He made sense. Wasn't 'selling' anything but wanting to figure it out.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff, you look great!! Beautiful hair too [Smile]
Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, what a knockout you are!
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I (and my docs) don't like about it i(low fat) s that the brain is mostly made up of fat, and the myelin stuff too. Is there a way to get the brain the good fat it needs -- ie; phosphotidlcholine or omegas, what is the best brain fat? while trying this diet?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the compliments you guys. I took stromectol yesterday and knocked myself out. I am still on the couch trying to recover. I don't know why it hit me so hard.

I went from feeling close to fine yesterday to a night with hot flashes, sweating, headache, dizziness, nausea and stomach cramps. Now I am exhausted. I could attribute it all to side effects but my voice was very hoarse this morning.

Anyway, I have to re-commit to the diet all the time because I just can't tolerate drugs like most people. Dr. F said when people water fasted for two weeks the PR disappeared but within days of starting a typical American diet again, it could be found. Rarely, but today is an exception, I feel like fasting.

I have an appointment to get my blood drawn for more testing the middle of August. This time I am going to get pictures.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canga
Member # 37571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, quite interesting this fat issue. There is also this Swank/Jelinek diet for arresting MS - it restricts _saturated_ fat < 15g/day. Works for some people.

Canga

Posts: 14 | From Poland | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canga,
The whole idea of lower fat in our diet/eating, is that fat help makes the biofilm thicker, thus the little microscopic protozoan can hide better. Antibiotics have a hard time getting to it.

When we lower the fat intake, the biofilm thins out, and then drugs can get to the little buggers better.

It's not a diet to lose weight or anything like that. And, yes, the dr. that has found this, under a microscope, does a lot of things with MS too. He studies how this can affect MS, ALS and the rest of the autoimmune diseases.

Neff... I've never heard doc talk about the water fasting? Was that from a talk of his sometime? He's never said anything about that to me in any visit... ? Do you mean lower fat eating and then back to an American diet? I know he's talked about that from time to time. I'll have to look into the water thing. I wish you could come on down and see him sometime, I know you'd like what you hear and see.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff-You look great! Very vibrant!

Stromectol herx-maybe related to increased die off from the full moon?

Is there a brand name to this phospytidycholine? Something I can get from my health food store, or is it a specialty thing?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just a safety note for anyone with porphyria: fasting can be very dangerous, even fatal because it allows the porphyrin levels to rise and that becomes very toxic. Just good to know that. More detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?#000000

Topic: what type of M.D. tests for PORPHYRIA
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canga
Member # 37571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hadlyme, yes I understand the meaning of lowering fats in our diet in the context of this topic.

What I wanted to say is that - surprisingly - different approaches to chronic inflammation address fat issue. Even Marshall's dietary guidelines (yes, the anti-vitD guy) just happen to by the way reduce intake of some fats.

In other words, I see a pattern that is helping people, me included. The pattern is "Let's reduce fat intake and take some antiinflammatories/antibiotics".

Canga

Posts: 14 | From Poland | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hadlyme, I found the infor about fasting twice in a condensed version of one of F's interviews. I couldn't fast two weeks (or two days at this point) but I guess that was for a very sick person.

I am seriously thinking about seeing him. Enough of this fooling around on my own - but it is just such a long exhausting trip. . . . When I get my blood work done I will decide what to do.

You can find phosphytidlycholine online - just write it in the search on amazon.com. I was getting phosphytidyleserene from hoistic heal but I decided they charge too much. I also notice (after a year of being on their vitamins) that their mulit has some very cheap junk in them like magnesium oxide and cyanocobalamin (SP?). Good grief.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

One of my friends said she was sick yesterday with the same symptoms I had, so I guess it was not the stromectol - thank goodness!

--------------------

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to post this on another thread but though it might be more helpful here.

Prior to me figuring out that I had proto, I ate tons of fats. Coconut oil by the tablespoons. Avocados, meat, cheese, butter sandwiches, nuts too. I thought all was great.

I thought my babs symptoms were babs, and my bart symptoms were bart, and my lyme symptoms were lyme. Little did I know that some of the symptoms that are normally considered to be lyme, bart and babs actually turned out to be proto. Because of this, I never thought to mention them to my doc. Most lyme patients wouldn't have a clue either. It takes time and backsliding in order to figure it out.

I feel stronger, and better when I eat meat. But I can only eat a little or the herxing comes back and I start to feel like crap again (joint pain, sweats, hot flashes, headaches behind eyes, etc). It wasn't always this way for me though. I guess I ate enough fat and eventually grew this bug to the point where I can no longer eat the fat without feeling horrible.

I've had proto for years. It has only now progressed to this point where I have to focus on limiting fats. I don't really know what made it progress to this point. Maybe it was lyme (just speculating). Had I not been aware of proto or the symptoms, I would have thought it was just babs, bart or lyme. I don't have to eat as low as 15 grams of fat to feel good though. It's different for each of us--all about balance.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping this thread for newbies to proto.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement