LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Desperately Seeking Quiet-hearing my pulse in ears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Desperately Seeking Quiet-hearing my pulse in ears
amydee
Member # 34832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am desperately seeking the reason and possible cure for the symptom of hearing my pulse in my ears.

This symptom has been ongoing since I became really ill in 2010. I have been in treatment for 1.5 years.

This pulse sensation that I hear in my ears occurs at all time of the day but seems to increase at night. It has made any exercise, besides easy walking, nearly impossible. As my exertion increases so does the sound and then pressure in my head. Also, heat makes it worse.

I have tried incorporating light weights for exercise and the pounding happens even with the light weights. It happens when my stress level goes up. I can hear the increase in pulsations with my increase in stress.

I just keep thinking that I cannot spend the rest of my life like this. I cannot NEVER exercise again. Never run again, never have peace in my head.

I went to see a Neurologist today and he just looked at me and told me that I was just going to have to live with it. WHAT? I mean, I don't put a lot of stock in anything a Neurologist has to say but really? What a jerk.

I was evaluated for CCSVI back in January and found to meet 4 out of the 5 criteria for the condition. I have since changed LLMD's and am going for a consultation with an Interventional Radiologist about having the procedure. Wondering if he might shed some light on this.

Anyone out there ever had this symptom and had it resolve? Anyone out there who has/had CCSVI with this symptom and had the angioplasty procedure and the symptom resolve?

Anyone, any info or advice?

Thank you in advance!

Posts: 33 | From Maryland | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a strange issue with this recently after having a tooth exracted. It was extremely irritating and worrisome. Mine was definitely related to having inflammation from a dry socket. Could there be some dental inflammation? Have you seen an ENT?
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessig627
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessig627     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Amy! Sorry to hear you are having this horrific symptom. I had this quite often and it was much worse at night or upon exercising.

Have you been evaluated by a cardiologist? Only after being evaluated and starting beta blockers did this resolve some for me. It hasn't fully gone away, but it's much more manageable.

Being able to tell your heart rate by just sitting still is scary. I hope you can find the cause or at the very least get some relief soon!

Take care!

Posts: 132 | From Central New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry,,what is CCSVI?

Are you getting dizzy or stuffy head?????

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amydee
Member # 34832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen 101, no, I have not seen an ENT. That would be my next step I suppose.

Jessig627, I haven't been evaluated by a cardiologist lately. I could try that again. I just hate to be on another Rx but I sure could use some relief.

nonna05, CCSVI is chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency which is narrowing of the jugular veins that bring blood flow back from the brain. They think it is from biofilm buildup.

It was first found in MS patients and is now being found in Lyme patients. (Makes sense since a lot think MS is Lyme)

Anyway, you can open the jugulars with a procedure called balloon angioplasty. The downside is that there is always a risk of restenosis not to mention other risks just from the procedure itself.

I was evaluated by a practice called CCSVI Atlanta.

No, I don't get dizzy or a stuffy head although sometimes I do feel pressure in my head usually with physical exertion of some kind.

Posts: 33 | From Maryland | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Hearing your heart beat could be due to inflammation, circulation and other things. Your LLMD is the best to first report this to and they can help sort it out and refer you out if necessary.

However, lots of ear detail here - especially about how to reduce inflammation:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS & SCD - Superior canal dehiscence
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
important to consider:

" . . . CCSVI is chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency which is narrowing of the jugular veins . . ." (end quote)

If that vein is narrowed, lifting weights can be dangerous. You say you met 4 of 5 diagnositic criteria but also know that lyme can cause the symptoms - or lyme and CCSVI can also be piggy-backed.

For now, as you wait to be more fully assessed: Tai Chi, Qi Gong or Restorative Yoga might be best. Pilates may work just find a good LL instructor.

Whatever movement therapy you choose, clear any questions about what moves are okay or not with your doctor first.

A few Qi Gong and Tai Chi moves have the head bowed down to the floor. You might avoid those. I pushed to do these (even if gentle) but they were not right for my body. I just started leaving out that move and did the rest.

I hope you find the answers you need.
-

[ 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Circulation & inflammation matters discussed here, too:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077325;p=0#000000

CARDIAC INFO & SUPPORT

Includes:

Dr. B's SAFE EXERCISE and PT Rehab guidelines,

EXERCISE INTOLERANCE is (partially) explained in the article: "when exercise doesn't work out" (and what we can do about that)

ADRENAL, CARDIAC, MITOCHONDRIA & MYELIN SUPPORT - that all helps movement better work for us

Styles discussed: Pilates; Qi Gong; Tai Chi; Yoga; water; strolling; etc.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This comes to mind as something that could be very helpful to reduce inflammation and nourish cells:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115258?

ASTAXANTHIN

I assume you are gluten-free, and also free of dairy, corn, and soy? If not, in the order listed, they are very likely candidates that cause inflammation.

Mold exposure can also contribute to inflammation as can chemicals in household and person care products, and lawn.

Right now as the plant kingdom is blooming, pollen is also suspect. Stinging Nettle helps me.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031228;p=0

STINGING NETTLE - Links set

The herb, STINGING NETTLE may serve to compensate for the reaction by calming the the cytokine storm that is often part of a herx reaction, infection or even allergic reaction.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: Magnesium - LINKS sets

See the Magnesium in the ER and hospital - and blood vessel health - notes here. As a wonderful agent to lower inflammation, it could be a great help.

Also cross-search terms at PubMed
-

amydee
Member # 34832

Keebler:

Thanks for all the great links and input. I will have many things to look into now.

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had horrible thumping in my ear.

I had a couple docs suggest magnesium

I take around 800mg of high quality magnesium per day now. I take a combo of Opti-mag and Ultra-mag.

I have had no thumping for awhile. I assume it's from the magnesium, but who knows...

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I developed this recently too. It's pulsatile tinnitus and should be checked out by an ENT or neurologist because it can be associated with blood flow issues, aneurysm, etc. However, a cause is often not identified. MRI/MRA helps rule out serious causes.

Lyme is associated with tinnitus too though and is a confounding factor.

Do you have any overbite in the jaw? Sometimes correcting this or using a teeth grinding guard at night can resolve it.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amydee
Member # 34832

Judie, I take Magnesium but maybe not enough. I will try to boost it and see what happens.

Lymeorsomething, Yes, had an MRI and neurologist scheduled me for an MRA. I don't have an overbite and don't think I have any teeth grinding issues. I am sure my hubby would have noticed this.

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really interesting about the teeth grinding.

I use to clench my teeth at night .Some meds will make you have a stiff jaw and effect the ears.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this too along with my ears ringing 24/7 and have seen ENT, Neuro. and my regular MD, no cause has been found .. Unless its lyme related..

So tired of doctors not taking me seriously...
Hope you find an answer and when you do please, please let me know,
Mine is so much worse at night and when there is no noise.. My right ear is the worse for hearing the heart beat.. I am going to request an Ultra sound on my neck to see about blood flow..

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this too along with my ears ringing 24/7 and have seen ENT, Neuro. and my regular MD, no cause has been found .. Unless its lyme related..

So tired of doctors not taking me seriously...
Hope you find an answer and when you do please, please let me know,
Mine is so much worse at night and when there is no noise.. My right ear is the worse for hearing the heart beat.. I am going to request an Ultra sound on my neck to see about blood flow..

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amydee
Member # 34832

phyl6648, I will let everyone know if I find out anything. I go for my CCSVI consult in a couple weeks. We will see if they think this might be related.

Judie, I increased my magnesium and I think it is a little better!

Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I have had this for a about a year now;
It's not the heart pulsing or feeling your heartbeat! I have tried to match it with the heart beat and it's not connected, It feels like an ear problem but not outside.

My only guess is a nasal infection most likely Fungal; The nose is connected to the ears !
Do you have a thrush issue ?

Google this for some possible causes,

(Ear pulsing, lyme disease)

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It's not the heart pulsing or feeling your heartbeat! I have tried to match it with the heart beat and it's not connected, It feels like an ear problem but not outside.

My only guess is a nasal infection most likely Fungal; The nose is connected to the ears !

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Judie
Member # 38323

"Judie, I increased my magnesium and I think it is a little better!"

That's fantastic. I really hope it helps. [Smile]

one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prior to my confirmed Lyme diagnosis, I was experiencing this.

It would only happen when I put my head on the pillow at bedtime and throughout the night. Quite often when getting up to pee in the middle of the night-never long lasting.

I saw an ENT two months before I began experiencing this and was diagnosed with eustachian tube dysfunction.

I originally went to see the neurologist due to 1.5 years of daily headaches and some numbness and balance issues.

He heard the swoosh in my neck and asked if I heard my heartbeat which I thought was normal.

I also experienced ringing in my ears, which I too thought everyone else did too.

He ordered an MRA of the blood vessels in my neck, along with an MRI of the brain due to the headaches.

Everything came back normal and after several months the swooshing of my pulse in my ears disappeared.

It hasn't returned, but the ringing in the ears is always there along with the feeling of clogged ears.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement