LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » FLU Season is coming! anyone getting the Flu Vaccine (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: FLU Season is coming! anyone getting the Flu Vaccine
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 2 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself never get it. If you plan on getting it you should talk to your doctors first!

* It may weaken your immune system more
* Could trigger a relapse
* Some get a allergic reaction

Also be careful of the flu mist - my younger daughter got the mist last year and became very ill, and she doesn’t have Lyme!!!

OPINIONS PLEASE-------Thanks

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have stayed away from the flu shot since starting treatment. My system is messed up enough, and its not worth the risk.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happydaychick
Member # 37799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happydaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still having a hard time with this one... I lived in fear of catching the flu last year b/c I did not get the shot. I wanted to walk around with a mask and gloves on (OK, I exaggerate, but anytime someone around me coughed, I covered my face or walked away)

It just seems like getting the flu would be so much harder on a person's body than getting the immunization. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks for posting this question!

Posts: 80 | From New England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
No way for me. Absolutely no way. A flu vaccine made me very ill over 20 years ago and I've never been the same.

For those drawn to this, however, be sure to get mercury-free and try to avoid the additives. Become educated about the specific vaccine, the manufacturer and all the ingredients. It can take some homework. Then, plan in advance for the support methods that can help better your chances for this working for you.

I wish they would "green" our vaccines. Right now, there are so many chemicals in them that I will never have another one with that kind of mix.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It scares the hell out of me, but I’m also like happydaychick. I try not to go near anyone in the flu season.

I do get my exercise through, I find myself running away from everyone ALL winter!!!

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely NOT. I can't tell you how many real stories I know of immune systems going absolutely haywire after a vaccination.

No way.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way!
Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way!
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My immune system is shot and I don't want to get the flu. I will still get the flu shot without preservatives.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about the shingles vaccination? I got the hard push my doctor to get it.

I told her why (same as above). She said she would like any literature that supports our view.
She is a good doctor and would honestly look at any reports.

Any out there for either?

Thanks

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way. They've found aluminum and mercury in these and other vaccines. That's the last thing I need.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOPE!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lax mom:

I will still get the flu shot without preservatives.

-
Those are LIVE viruses in the preservative-free kind. The shingles vaccine is a live vaccine also.

No thanks. My immune system is not that strong.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never!!

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No flippin way.

The tetanus booster nearly killed me.

The junk in vaccines is inexcusable.

I'd rather have the flu for a week than heavy metals for life.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No- I don't anyway but this year has GMO's:

http://www.naturalnews.com/039013_flu_vaccine_insect_virus_gmos.html

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I will never get another vaccine ever again...had an allergic reaction to a tetanus shot and that's the last time I'll ever knowingly allow myself to get injected with the garbage they put in vaccines.

The flu shot DOES NOT WORK! It has NOT been proven in trials to actually reduce the incidence of flu.

And ever wonder why flu season starts as soon as the flu shots become available???

Alternatives for those afraid of catching the flu:

Vitamin D3 supplements - 10,000IU/day. It worked for me when I was having problems catching colds/flu and then when I started the Vitamin D3, no more colds/flu.

Oscillococcinum, one capful of the tiny pellets once a week through flu season. This is homeopathic medicine used like a vaccine, but without the toxins and risk of getting the flu from the vaccine. My family has done this for years, and when we do it faithfully, nobody gets the flu.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOT ME !!!!! not ever i am so worried about my new grand daughter coming in oct...i have a feeling her parents will do "what the doc says"

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Way!

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lyme symptoms came out full force after I got the whooping cough vaccine. My step-daughter insisted we all get it or we couldn't hold our new grand daughter. Of course, I can't prove they are connected but I would bet it pushed my immune system over the edge.

Wish I knew then what I know now!

Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

By the way, eating fermented vegetables helps protect you from the flu and other viruses.

Use of essential oils provides protection as well.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Razzle (good ideas)! You too, Lymetoo. Which which essential oils keep it at bay?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Essentail Oils Desk Reference (5th ed.):

Influenza:

Single Essential Oils:
Mountain Savory
Oregano
Eucalyptus Radiata
Peppermint
Clove
Melaleuca Alternifolia
Eucalyptus Blue
Dorado Azul

Essential Oil Blends:
ImmuPower
Di-Gize
Exodus II
Thieves
Raven
R.C.
Breathe Again

Bath Soak Recipe for Colds/Flu:

2 drops Eucalyptus Radiata
6 drops Frankincense
3 drops Dorado Azul
6 drops Spruce
15 drops Ravintsara
1 drop Wintergreen

Stir above oils thoroughly into 1/4 cup Epsom salt or baking soda, and then add salt/oil mixture to hot bath water while tub is filling. Soak in hot bath for 20-30 minutes or until water cools.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thank you Razzle! :)

--------------------

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DD had a very bad reaction to flu shot years ago. Since then, no way Jose will I have the kiddos injected with that crap.

Much, much better to keep their D levels up and supplement what they need to keep flu at bay.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe asthma and yes, I will get the flu shot as I have every year. It is necessary as any lung infection could kill me. It is not a live virus like the spray and would not consider taking that. I always ask for non-thimerisol (sp) injection. I am waiting to get up the courage to do the whooping cough vaccine and would prefer to not get the other things with it, but many here do not vaccinate their children and many people do not stay home when they get sick.
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

http://www.realfarmacy.com/flu-season-is-coming-cdc-says-vaccines-but-do-you-know-about-this-safe-and-effective-alternative/#ftolioELdDC6e0CM.01

They recommend taking Vitamin D for protection.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMD has recommended against it, so nope, not for me.

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

Posts: 234 | From NY originally registered in 2008 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Lymetoo: Well, I must say; that is the most interesting article I’ve ever read about the Flu shots.

I hope everyone reads this

http://www.realfarmacy.com/flu-season-is-coming-cdc-says-vaccines-but-do-you-know-about-this-safe-and-effective-alternative/#ftolioELdDC6e0CM.01

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Did your doctor get a flu shot?

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blog/shortwhitecoat/2013/01/did_your_doctor_get_a_flu_shot.html

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't do it.

I get flus, and am sick for three days.

I'm thinking this year, to up Vit C and take more Host Defense, which is an immune booster with 17 mushrooms in it.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Robin, You're lucky you only get sick for three day. So many people are sick for weeks, even a month or more.

Take lots of Vit C.....

--------------------

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never! I had one flu shot after I thought I was over lyme and the symptoms came roaring back worse than before including mild seizures within one week of the shot.

I will never get another vaccine.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8885 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Otter, DD had very severe asthma when she was little (very, very scary) and the flu shot was always recommended and I got it for her for several years until she had a bad reaction to it when she was older (and thankfully the asthma at that point wasn't as bad).

So I really do understand why you need this shot. I had posted a vaccine protocol using homeopathic and vitamins and such awhile ago to mitigate any vaccine side effects. The search function here still isn't working, but when it does, please search "vaccine protocol" and hopefully my post will show up. If not, let me know and I will look through my notes and PM you the protocol.

Before you do the whooping cough vaccine, get your pertussis titers checked. You might very well already be immune to it and can avoid the booster.

After DD had the first DTP shot and had a high pitched cry afterwards. I was told this was a reaction to the pertussis and she could never receive that shot again. Turns out that years later she has immunity to it anyway, so thankfully it's not an issue.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

23 people died during the trials for this year's flu vaccine:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/23-seniors-died-after-receiving-this-years-flu-shot-sold-by-pharmacies/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never get it either. Too risky!!
Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there <<<<< Steve' and Lyme family >>>>>,

I am in fact fighting the flu right now, no it's not fun.

And no,I will not willingly get a flu vaccine.

A coupe years before my mom passed away, it was insisted she get the flu vaccine, she got it anyway,after the vaccine and became very ill.

Onward I go,fighting this flu bug...

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Silver, so sorry about this, did you call your Dortor or LLMD? They may be able to help a little.

I know the flu has to run its Couse, but these may help you feel a little better.

Humidified air helps prevent mucus buildup in your nose and may quiet your cough.

Extra fluids/water, running a humidifier in the bedroom.

Steam is helpful too!
Warm tea
Fruits and vegetables
Vitamin C
Fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C include carrots, cabbage, oranges, blackberries, cranberries, cherries, bell peppers, kiwi, guava, limes, strawberries, tomatoes, papaya, broccoli, kale, chard, spinach and broccoli.

Yogurt

Ginger

Garlic

Protein
Adding protein-based foods into your daily diet can help you heal from the flu at a rapid pace. Protein strengthens your immune system by helping your body produce the white blood cells needed to fight off infections. Protein-based foods include lean red meat, fish, skinless and boneless poultry, eggs, lentils, beans and soy products.

And of Couse>>>.Chicken Noodle Soup

Lots of REST!!!

I know it's white, but maybe some of those Idaho potato's. [Smile]

Feel better!!!

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Inflammation and the Flu

As the cold and flu season is upon us, it’s time to talk about its causes, and how we can protection our selves from having it effect our lives. Although it’s something we cannot control, I believe there are measures we can take to decrease the impact the flu may have on our bodies.

I for one have always suggested preventative medicine as being the best medicine, like taking vitamin C at the first signs of the change in weather, if you’re not taking it all year ’round. I’m also a huge proponent of a taking a daily multiple vitamin, something I have done ever since I could remember. I’m also a big advocate about the proper amount of sleep. The three items listed above, vitamin C, multiple vitamins, and sleep, I believe, can go a long way in protecting you from not only the flu, but other diseases as well.

Since I’m not a medical doctor or science professor, I’ll leave the explanation of the proper way to protect your self from the flu up to TriVita’s Chief Science Officer, Brazos Minshew.

Important Health News – Protect Yourself from the Flu
by Brazos Minshew, TriVita’s Chief Science Officer

About this time of year many people ask me what they can do to prevent the flu or minimize its impact. That has never seemed more relevant than today; so, I will address this with the best science we have available today. I say "today’s best science" because we simply don’t know everything we need to know about preventing and treating the flu. And we need to remember that not all that long ago "current science" said that the earth was flat and diseases were caused by evils spells or dead ancestors.

Many people never get the flu – no matter which strain we are talking about. Do you? When you get the flu, are your symptoms severe? Are there high-risk people living with you? Then your preference for or against preventive measures must take them into consideration. (What if you got it and survived but transmitted it to them and they died? How would you feel?) In any case, 35,000-40,000 people in North America die of the flu each year. It is estimated that this number will double with H1N1.

Flu protection
There are three pathways you need to focus on with flu protection – any variety:

Transmission
Infection
Inflammation
Inflammation

We will begin at the ending: Inflammation from the immune system that incapacitates – even kills – people when they have the flu. MOST IMPORTANT: The flu kills people not by transmission or by infection, but by an inflammatory immune system response called the "cytokine storm."

Our immune system is designed to neutralize and excrete any non-self protein it finds. That includes the influenza virus. The size of the immune response needs to be equivalent to the strength of the invader.

Think of this as a building on fire: small fires are extinguished by local fire fighters. Some fires are so big that fire fighters from other departments have to be called in to help. So, fires are designated as "one-alarm," "two-alarm," "three-alarm," and so on. At a certain point, our immune system pulls all of the alarms and immune system fractions from all over our body rush to put out the fire, so to speak. However, this is a case of fighting fire with fire. Cytokines are inflammatory. They kill viruses and bacteria by creating inflammation.

The cytokine storm is responsible for all of the symptoms we feel: fever, body aches, nausea, diarrhea, etc. It is also responsible for filling the lungs with mucous (pneumonia/pneumonitis) which is often the fatal trigger in influenza, SARS, Hanta virus, bubonic plague, etc.

To survive we must modulate the cytokine storm so that it does its job but doesn’t overwork and kill us. We make it work smarter, not harder. So we don’t use Vitamin C or Echinacea or anything that "boosts" the immune system. We use immune system modulators so we get exactly the right response. Quercetin (Betalains in Nopalea are quercetin bioflavonoids), green tea polyphenols (found in Energy Now!) and ginseng (Panax and Eleutherococcus found in Adaptogen 10 Plus) all help balance the body’s immune system and decrease the cytokine storm.

Infection

Prior to the cytokine storm is the infection stage of influenza. The virus infects the cell by matching a cell receptor called Hemagglutinin. Hemagglutinin (the "H" in H1N1) allows the virus to gain entry to the cell and mutate the cell DNA so it can breed an infection. It also allows the newly mutated DNA to be incorporated into surrounding cells and through cell lines. Hemagglutinin describes "infection" with the flu. Two powerful natural bulwarks of Hemagglutinin are green tea polyphenols and ginseng (Panax and Eleutherococcus) found in Super Sublingual B-12.

Transmission

Neuraminidase describes "transmission" of the flu where the virus disarms the immune system with an enzyme. This is the "N" in H1N1, H5N1. Neuraminidase inhibitors like Tamiflu limit the ability of the virus to transmit its DNA strands. Two strong natural Neuraminidase protectors are green tea polyphenols and quercetin (Betalains in Nopalea are quercetin bioflavonoids). It is likely that green tea polyphenols and quercetin will help your body do what it does best: resist infection. Think of them as the first line of defense to arm your immune system and help protect against the flu virus from disarming it. *** End of Article ***

To me, preventative medicine makes more sense and if vitamin C, multiple vitamins, or Nopalea can do one-half of what has been scientifically proven, I believe many people will be protected from the flu, not to mention living healthier and more active lives.

The flu can be extremely dangerous to your health. However, I believe, like so many others, that inflammation may even be more dangerous, because it is related, or the leading cause of so many diseases. And if we can continue to fight inflammation by drinking a product like Nopalea, I believe we can all live longer and healthier lives.

To learn more about fighting inflammation and Sonoran Bloom Nopalea™, click on the previous link.

The flu can be extremely dangerous to your health. However, I believe, like so many others, that inflammation may even be more dangerous, because it is related, or the leading cause of so many diseases. And if we can continue to fight inflammation by drinking a product like Nopalea, I believe we can all live longer and healthier lives.

http://rssblog.healthfulchoice.com/index.php/26/inflammation-and-the-flu/

--------------------

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< Steve >>>>>,

Just now saw your reply to mine!!!

Thank you, also now I know why TxC' and I are both craving protein, Pineapple and so on!

Nopalitas' where recommended to us a couple of years ago, it seems Nopales cactus can help w/ blood sugars etc. for diabetics.

TxC' just picked some up a couple days ago when shopping. And we still eat potatoes from time to time, even tho' we are no longer in Idaho.
We're not in Kansas any more Toto... did I say that? Must be the flu and the brain fog, LD and being up since 3:00 a.m..

Thanks for the info' and ideas, this is an interesting thread.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffee71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffee71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way for me.

I got vaccine in 2007 and within several months my health went down the hill and I ended up with not able to walk and Lyme diagnosis.

High doses of Vitamin C has helped me to avoid getting sick with flu so far. I will do the same this year.

Posts: 191 | From va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

We all need more Vitamin C

-

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Where's the LIKE button!? [Smile]

Stock up on herbals and essential oils for the winter flu season!

http://www.naturalnews.com/042095_superbugs_antibiotics_coming_plague.html

Quote:

"What's truly astonishing about this report is that it admits, in effect, that modern medicine is a failure when it comes to infectious disease. The whole approach of fighting bugs with isolated chemicals was doomed to fail from the start, of course, since Mother Nature adapts to chemical threats far more quickly than drug companies can roll out new chemicals."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

LymeSwimmer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeSwimmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a chance - got very sick the last time I got the shot ~2008.
Also I try to stay away from things like tetanus boosters unless absolutely necessary, since those make me fairly ill as well.

Posts: 118 | From New England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Overwhelmed
Member # 38499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Overwhelmed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it's always been a big fat no. HOWEVER, last winter I did in fact get the flu and it was horrid! The rapid moving symptoms without a doubt caused me to relapse. But aside from the relapse, the flu as I experienced it was in many ways worse than chronic and often debilitating Lyme. So the answer for me this year is, "I don't know." I must protect my kids too. Either way this is not such an easy decision anymore! I've read articles and saw on the news in previous years how serious the flu can be, but seriously just blew it off and thought the flu was blown way out of proportion. Omg, it's SO scary. Let me know if anyone is interested in my symptoms.
Posts: 82 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Overwhelmed---Let me know if anyone is interested in my symptoms.

Sure!

--------------------

bonbon521
Member # 25900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bonbon521     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No flu shot. My dad had taken his flu shot regularly through the years. He got a dry cough and was doctoring with a specialist. The specialist sent him to the Hospital for X-rays and had to wait and wait near the ER. A woman came in to wait her turn and complained she was dying and felt soooo bad with flu like symptoms. It was less than a week later my dad came down with respiratory problems. He got weaker and weaker. Then he was admitted to the hospital and we spend 3 weeks of tests telling us dad had a heart attack and then they came back and said he didn't have a heart attack. They gave him oxygen at high doses, high doses of 3 meds that made him hallucinate. He talked with us just like a normal person. After 3 weeks they told us there was nothing more they could do for him and that with the large amount of oxygen that they had given him that there was no way he could leave the hospital with that amount of oxygen. So we said our good byes (he was 82, physically fit). They slowly withdrew the oxygen and he passed away. It will forever be etched in my mind. My husband and I have never had a flu shot. He is 65 and I am 55. We hardly get sick at all. Keep the immune system up, get proper sleep, less stress, eat fruits and vegetables, as little meds as possible, no processed foods, exercise. This all helps.
Posts: 20 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No flu shot. I've relapsed on them. My LLMD said NO. He doesn't get one either.

That said, my non Lyme husband just had a flu shot at Meijer grocery store early this afternoon. An hour later I'm calling 911 as he almost fainted and had a brief spell of vision problems. The ENT's checked him out, and he's okay now, so we decided to forego the trip to the hospital although we will let his regular doc know.

I read the side effects paper Meijer gave my husband. Guess what some of the adverse symptoms are? Fainting, vision problems, etc.

My hubby has been getting flu shots for years. This is the first time he was affected in that manner.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those that do get the flu, see your doctor immediately and ask for TAMIFLU.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Tamiflu has its own dangers.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
Overwhelmed---Let me know if anyone is interested in my symptoms.

Sure!

? Do you have the flu now?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the concept behind getting the flu shot. I do. I also understand the concept of getting the whooping cough vaccine. It's just that as far as I have seen, there is no proof that they actually work!

In recent outbreaks of whooping cough, the majority of the people who got it were vaccinated. The flu vaccine also doesn't have studies proving it's efficacy.

I would prefer to optimize my own immune system.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

The Dangers of Tamiflu

AND>

Studies Show Flu Vaccines are Also Ineffective and NOT an Ideal Form of Prevention

Read both

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/07/recommended-tamiflu-has-flawed-results.aspx

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harlankrumholz/2013/01/08/the-myth-of-tamiflu-5-things-you-should-know/

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

September 21, 2013
The Flu Shot Horror Story:

The Flu Shot Horror Story: How one little shot unearthed my anxiety.

¶ Tagged Anxiety, Conditions and Diseases, couldn't breathe, Health, ignorance, Infectious Diseases, Influenza, Influenza vaccine, October, social construction, United States, VCD, vocal chord paralysis ¶ Leave a comment
This post is about the flu shot’s impact on my life, and how it changed the way I see the healthcare system in the United States.

I knew that anxiety had always been apart of my life to some extent. At one point I thought it was normal to have the level of anxiety that I experienced in my daily life. Anxiety runs in my family. Later, I learned that anxiety can stay dormant for a long time until its triggered. And the flu shot is what triggered it.

In 2010 I got the flu shot around October. I walked in around 3:00 pm in the afternoon and got the shot around 3:30 after signing consent forms. Around 3:45 I started feeling short of breath walking down the hallway towards the exit of the clinic. My mom looked at me and asked if I was okay. We ended up leaving and driving home, even though I felt odd.

I remember sitting on the couch with a blanket, gasping for air like a fish out of water. My mom called the help line at the clinic to try and get some answers and I talked to the nurse on the end of the line. She asked me several questions because she suspected that I was having an allergic reaction.
“Are your lips swollen?”

“Are you having trouble breathing?”
“Do you have a rash?”
She hung up. I don’t exactly remember what my dad told me, however I do remember that It was something along the lines of disbelieving that I couldn’t breathe correctly.

When my mom told him that she made an appointment for me that night at the after hours care, he was angry.
Trust me, I’m not one to do something to get attention or to be dramatic. I guess it was just easier to draw the easiest conclusion then to look for what what actually wrong.

Basically I ended up going to the doctor’s urgent care office 3 times that week. Meaning that, every doctor I went to was different because the urgent doctors worked after hours and rotated on a schedule.

The first two times I visited I was diagnosed with asthma by two elderly doctors who were wise and knowledgeable. I trusted their diagnose but the inhalers and nebulizer they gave me offered me no relief, and the idea of breathing in medication gave me terrible anxiety.

At my third visit, I was met by a young Asian doctor. She actually spent more then 5 minutes in the room (Yay! Progress).

She asked me where my throat was tight and I pointed to the lower part of my throat. She nodded. Then she asked me to describe my symptoms. I told her it felt like my breath was getting caught in my throat every time I breathed in. She nodded again and smiled.
Her diagnosis was something called Vocal Chord Dysfunction.

VCD happens when the vocal chords close at the wrong time and stop someone from getting a full breath. It is not harmful but it can be scary.

I asked her if it was caused by the flu shot and she said there was no proof that it was. But why wouldnt she explain to me why it happened? You cant link a “side effect” to the flu shot unless it is widely reported and proven. Often times, potential side effects are not even reported by health care providers.
So, here starts my anxiety and obsessive researching.

I became a hypochondriac, although, to be fair to national health organizations, I was technically predisposed to have an anxiety disorder.

I refused to take medication for fear that I would die from a side effect or something unexplained. I still have problems taking aspirin for headaches. Totally irrational. I researched and researched unexplained deaths relating to the flu shot.

Do you know how many people get the flu shot, and then die soon afterwards for reasons that are unexplained? Its recorded, just not reported. So ignorant America can continue to get the flu shot even though it may cause harm. Critical constructionism at its finest; Health Care Organizations (distributors of medication) help doctors get more moola.

Why would they question something that gets them more money and that is so widely accepted? So they dont, and people continue to get side effects, and the flu shot is never brought up as a problem, only a solution to a problem: the flu. I’m not the first one to have vocal chord problems after getting the flu shot!
Heres a man who had his vocal chord paralyzed after the flu shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHSQKNIdw6s
Oh, and heres a man who got completely paralyzed from the flu shot (Guillian barre syndrome):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60a2FsP4j4o
If you read the disclaimer on the flu shot consent form it says: “Those who have a history of guillian barre should not get the shot”.

1/100,000 people a year are reported getting it. However, these numbers are suspected to be much higher because many cases are not reported.
Anyways, after a couple of weeks the VCD mysteriously went away and… I felt okay again. But my anxiety was still there. I will never get the flu shot again.

I just want to bring attention to the dangers of the flu shot, and any shot! Don’t be so ignorant. Don’t be a sheep that follows the group. QUESTION EVERYTHING. Even something so common in today’s society: the flu shot.

http://fudgestck.wordpress.com/2013/09/21/the-flu-shot-horror-story-how-one-little-shot-unearthed-my-anxiety/

--------------------

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problems with mercury were known back in the 1930's.

It has taken the CDC and FDA since that time just to START phasing out the mercury in some vaccines, and the flu vaccines still use it!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Wow, TC, I had NO idea that problems with mercury were known back in the '30s!!!

How many here remember picking up those little balls of mercury when the glass thermometer fell on the floor?

Yikes! I must've done that at least 5 or 6 times as a kid. Makes you wonder.

Thanks for starting this thread Steve. Always a good idea to bring this subject up this time of year when flu shots are being pushed at every turn.

ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no and no. Our LLMD told us years ago not to

get Flu Shots or immunizations. His advice.

People with Lyme don't generally get "normal" flu

and colds. The immune system is on over drive with

Lyme so it fights the bugs that people that don't

have lyme usually get sick from. That's how it

was explained to me.

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by ICEiam:

People with Lyme don't generally get "normal" flu

and colds. The immune system is on over drive with

Lyme so it fights the bugs that people that don't

have lyme usually get sick from. That's how it

was explained to me.

-
True for me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

Tincup & Beachers, I didn't know this, so I did a little research. Thanks for the info!

Mercury Dangers Known Since the 1930's
Archived documents from Eli Lilly & Company recently surfaced as part of a pending lawsuit, clearly showing that the dangers of the Thimerosal product were known as early as the 1930’s — but ignored by Lilly.

Thimerosal, the mercury-based vaccine preservative, has recently been linked to the onset of neurological injury in infants.

According to the documents, Lilly secretly sponsored a “Human toxicity” study in September 1930, which enabled them to get a jump on marketing products that contained Thimerosal. The study was done on patients already known to be dying of meningococcal meningitis.

“Lilly then cited this study repeatedly for decades as proof that ‘Thimerosal was of low toxicity and harmless to humans’,” according to Andrew Waters, senior partner of the Dallas-based law firm, Waters and Kraus.

Lilly never revealed the highly questionable nature of its research to the public or the scientific community; nor did they make public the rising concerns of other researchers, about the potential hazard Thimerosal could have on humans who are either exposed to Thimerosal or have received injections containing Thimerosal, such as vaccines.

Lilly was repeatedly advised that their conclusions were unwarranted, and as evidence showed, Lilly ignored the warnings and failed to pass the information to appropriate federal and public health authorities.

Lilly’s internal documents also showed they ignored reported cases of skin burns that were the result of Thimerosal reacting with vaccines that contain aluminum; as well as ignoring the 1982 advance notice by the FDA, “Thimerosal has been found to be more toxic for human epithelial cells in vitro than mercuric chloride, mercuric nitrate and merbromim. Thimerosal was 35.3 times more toxic for embryonic chick heart tissue than for staphylococcus areus.”

Waters & Kraus is litigating cases throughout the country involving infants who developed neurological damage after receiving Thimerosal-containing pediatric vaccines.

http://www.lifealignwellness.com/research/drugs/vaccines/2034-mercury-dangers-known-since-the-1930s.html

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

http://www.naturalnews.com/042159_flu_shot_vaccine_myths_influenza.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Elderberries are a huge anti-viral!

http://www.naturalnews.com/040756_elderberry_flu_shots_vaccines.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sleeping dog
Member # 27267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my llmd said absolutely no live vaccines (bacteria) are to injected into my compromised blood already overwhelmed fighting off (with limited success) other bacteria.

also, a family member has a blood cancer, and the oncologist said that no one who receives a flu or shingles vaccine can be around the cancer patient for quite awhile after the shot is administered. the live bacteria is dangerous to be near let alone receive. definitely, additional cause for caution and worth talking to your doctor if you have a family member / close friend is being treated for cancer...

Posts: 43 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time a nurse at the VA asks me if I want the flu shot I say,
"I've got type 2 diabetes, neuropathy, stage 3 kidney disease from herbicide exposure in the Southeast Asia war theater. Don't you think the government has experimented on me enough?"

Then they mark the "declined" box.

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good one!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

http://www.naturalnews.com/042273_books_vaccine_risks_phony_science.html#ixzz2gKqh1NPt

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

Pediatric/Adult Influenza Vaccine
Age Manufacturer Brand Name Presentation
2013-2014

http://www.immunize.nc.gov/PDFs/2013%20PDF/2013%202014%20Flu%20%20Formulations.pdf

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

No thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the flu shot last year, it was free. I felt very odd and had an increase in all symptoms after I got it.

And then months later in late January I got the flu anyways. It's insane to inject yourself with the flu virus and my doctor agrees. Stupid. Don't do it

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happydaychick
Member # 37799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happydaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone heard of the homeopathic flu pellets?

Apparently, it is claimed they are "made using the same flu strain identified each year by the CDC, and are powerful preventives that don’t carry the potential side-effects of the conventional flu shot."

A friend's homeopathic doc recommended these as a safe alternative to the flu shot. I'm wondering if its worth taking?? Any thoughts?

Posts: 80 | From New England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Exactly, Clint. Many who get the shot get sick anyway.

happyday.. yes, I have some of those on hand. Just in case.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple answer from my LLMD. Don't do it. Our immune systems aren't strong enough for it. Not to mention that so much is coming out now about why it may not be a good option for ANYONE.

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

This note is just for informational purposes only:

I have read hundreds of posts online about flu shots when one has Lyme and or Co’s.

It seems like it’s the same old thing, everyone is different.

I have found that some of us get the shot and have no problems.

I have also found that some get it and get very, very sick right afterwards, or shortly after.
Most LLMD’s say (no) do-not get it.

Some say get it, if you never had problems in the past.

I think at less 97% of regular healthcare doctors, nurses etc., say get it.

I know we have some members here that work in the healthcare workforce.

Let us know if you have no choose in getting the shot because of your job. I know most, if not all, are forced to get it.

With that said… I’ve read that some healthcare workers get a medical note from their LLMD’s, does that work?

-

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Anyone got a cold or flu...

I've had a cold for a week now, feels like a mini flu.

lots of coughing, nose - throat...just feel miserable

--------------------

Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will never get any vaccine ever again due to it "causing" my lyme symptoms years ago when I got them for nursing school.

No one knows what is in those shots! I did get the flu last year and it sucked for about a week but I got Tamiflu and it helped greatly. I also learned to let the fever run its course. I was taking a fever reducer but my fever kept coming back, only after I let it run did I get better in 24 hours.

Our bodies are meant to fix naturally, putting foreign vaccines in them is something I will never do again!

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk to your doctor first? THATS NUTS!

another thing is to keep your vitamin D3 levels up. I like to keep it around 70 to 80.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement