LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LDN and herxing? Help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LDN and herxing? Help?
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I started LDN (low dose naltrexone) recently. I will say it is definitely impacting my symptoms in a powreful way. It seems to be making me herx. I thought it was supposed to LESSEN herxing and symptoms? Can anyone here please share their experiences? Thank you.

Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sorry your hopes have been clobbered at this time. I do hope this turns around but don't put it all on hope.

It's just not for everyone. Some do great, for others, it is the total opposite and some just cannot do this, at all (I was one of those).

I really do not think it's a herx at all but a reaction. I don't see how LDN is capable of producing a herx, it's not an anti-spirochetal substance.

But my symptoms were some of the very first I'd ever started with, back to the worst of times. Like the lyme just came out to play -- not a herx, but lyme itself. After I stopped, it took a while to get back to my normal.

If you are starting very low and slow and have such a reaction, it may be a sign that this may not be a good fit. I suffered through 3 weeks of the slow and low, titrating up as instructed careful and it was the worst 3 weeks (nearly) ever. Not for my body.

First: are you starting very low dose? If so, can you go even lower?

Some who did well with this have remarked that, perhaps they did so because they'd progressed to a certain point in their treatment. Those who did not do well on LDN maybe were still too loaded.

In my case, that may well be. I've never had access to a full assertive path of treatment and just sort of managed to hold it together on a shoestring. Not complaining, here, but explaining.

If this may not be the right fit for your body, there are many other ways for immune support.

And other ways to address infection(s). Herbals, of course or rife, etc. A LL ND would be best to advise.

Medical mushrooms are just one avenue for immune support. I prefer those that do have some good nutrients to them so they can cover many bases at the same time, anyway, and nourish my cells.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=112225;p=0

Topic: Why does LDN cause my symptoms to explode?

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/110640?#000000

Topic: Does LDN make you feel tired?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Still, even if / as you continue titrating up with LDN, be sure to remember the basic support.

STINGING NETTLE may be excellent for you right now as it lowers cytokine reactions - and that's what you need most, IMO, for the reaction. MAGNESIUM, too. Detail here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not everyone does well on LDN, it's not a miracle for everyone.

I did awful on it. It acted like a psychotropic. I started at a VERY low dose. I felt high as a kite and couldn't get down.

For pain management, it's probably fantastic relief for some people, but for me I don't need to feel like I'm high all the time.

It did nothing for my allergic reactions and inflammation either.

I didn't trust my decision making on LDN. I started to hallucinate. After a week of "tripping" I needed to stop it.

I use nettles and reishi mushrooms now with much better results.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dan!
[Smile]

What dose did you start at?

Do you take it at night?

I am one of the lucky ones who feels better on LDN and also it helps me with not catching every darn thing going around.

I started at 3mg. Lucky enough it helps me at 3 and I didn't need to increase it.

I agree with Keebler and Judie. It may be something that your body doesn't jive with.

Is it possible for you to change the dose slightly to see if that helps?

Others I have spoken to said they started at low dose and worked their way up to their maintenance dose.

I jumped in, being the impatient person I am. Haha.

I seem to recall it took me about 2 weeks to feel better on it.

The nightmares were out of this world...

Anyways, maybe your starting dose is too high for your body?

Or maybe, like Keebler and Judie, LDN just doesn't mesh with your system.

How are you feeling today?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried it several times and it made me feel awful. I was on a very low starting dose each time and could never advance. It may not be that your herxing just that it is not right for you.

Also have you been on any pain meds prior to starting it?

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement