LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can one OD on mag salts bath?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can one OD on mag salts bath?
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a long bath yesterday and didn't rinse off until hours later and today I'm all pain and off kilter...not in an upbeat mood because lower back hurts and stomach doesn't feel right and despite the Miralax and some liquid magnesium I still feel like I'm full...oh, and I was up most of the night, couldn't sleep....
the only thing I'm taking right now is a Nexium for acid indigestion and pain and a Tums at bedtime...

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some ppl have trouble. I forget what group of ppl have trouble. I had a friend who was wiprd out for a week and he stopped taking them

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Miralax, Nexium, Tums would all knock me out.

DGL worked so much better for my stomach issues and is not just safer but healing in properties.

Rather than miralax - which contains polyethylene glycol (PEG) or other petroleum & chemical based products, a different kind of magnesium may work more better for you. Rhubarb, too.

But, my guess is the long bath was too long and involved too much heat and you got clobbered. "Payback" can be a major factor for a long hot bath, either right afterward, later that day or even the next day.

My legs would give out on me for days afterward until I figured it out: too much heat; too much time. I was a boiled noodle, from brain to toes.

But, because the heat felt so, so good at that time, my "alert warning system" being off kilter did not clue me in. The "control panel" in the brain for these things is often just off kilter for many with lyme regarding not just heat but also energy output.

As for magnesium on your skin, likely, most brushed off with drying, clothes, sheets, etc. But it can be caustic to skin so just because your skin did not revolt the first time does not mean it may not the next.

Whether man or woman, though, especially the more sensitive personal tissues can be very much irritated by magnesium left on too long or in too strong of a dilution.

Rinsing well is a good idea at the end of a

twenty minute bath in cozy warm but not too hot water. Try that and see if it helps.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Check out various types - you may need a different TYPE. Best to have it 3-4 x a day, never all at once.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=034408;p=0

RHUBARB - for colon support
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=035132;p=0

SQUATTY POTTY - why it matters

Colon massage, etc.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Far better than nexium, IMO:

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/gi-encap-reg

Thorne GI Encap

And far better than Tums, either Chewable DGL or these little pellets are wonderful to have in the mouth to soothe for extended time:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=034980;p=0#000000

LICORICE ROOT EXTRACT -- Informational Links set
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A gluten-free diet also helped me a lot (although was dx to have celiac so that makes sense).

Also be sure to avoid all fuzzy beverages (carbonation is caustic) and if you drink lemon water, be sure you have enough water to follow (to keep acid down) and alkaline balance. Green Tea is good.

I went through so many OTC products and even Rx with symptoms as you describe. All the things listed above made my life so much less painful - and better.

Good luck.
-

WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that some can't tolerate magnesium too but can't remember which group either. But it could also be the heat of the bath. I can't tolerate anything more than lukewarm or it knocks me out too.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good morning
so I'm back on the remag to get things flowing daily, and I ordered some DGL (side note: I notice the back isn't as bad now that I've stopped the nexium and miralax for the time being) but how much DGL is recommended per day to abate the gastric acid distress I experience when not taking nexium or something like it?

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement