LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can't afford ANY treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't afford ANY treatment
SLH516
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLH516     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this isn't too far out there -- I'm brand new to the board and don't want to be out of line or worrisome or triggering to anyone. If it is, someone please tell me.

Has anyone else literally not been able to afford ANY treatment? I'm on disability with NO extra $ each month, on Medicaid, and no one I can borrow from. I genuinely don't have a choice here.

What are other people doing, if anyone here is in the same situation? I'm too sick to work right now, but not too sick to generally take care of myself just yet. Cognitive/neuro symptoms are popping up pretty regularly/quickly recently, though, so I'm worried about how quickly things might progress.

My honest thought is to stick around until quality of life becomes intolerable and then put myself out of my own misery. I have family who would be devastated, but I'm sure they would already be devastated by what was happening, so hopefully they would understand if/when things get that bad.

I'm sorry if I'm freaking anyone out. I'm not in any danger right now, though, so no concern necessary!

Posts: 112 | From USA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to LN! Glad you found us!

I'll move this to Medical Questions so you can get some tips which may help!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Now, I'm not saying any of this is a cure for lyme. Yet, some of these ideas could be life saving in some ways - to hold you somewhat steady as you can explore further options.

If you are allergic or sensitive to anything suggested, of course, use common sense. There is always another way. There is always some other way. Always.

Can you tolerate garlic? Ginger?

You can grate raw GINGER / or use spice jar . . . not too much.

Garlic, ONE small clove - in the middle of a meal. Raw. Peel, cut of both tips so it's smooth. Keep mostly whole and just barely bite with teeth - if need to cut to swallow, do so but get it out of your mouth down your throat soon so it does not burn mouth tissue.

In the MIDDLE of a meal so that your stomach is protected from the garlic oil.

Start with one small clove in the middle of meal when you are not going out for awhile. Just to see how you do. Lunch is good or early dinner. Not too late as garlic (and ginger) can be stimulating.

And, there might be some naturopathic / acupuncture clinic in your area with a sliding fee / gratis program - at least for some help. Some get supplements donated to them.

See if you can get some Green Tea from a food bank.

Connect with the lyme support groups near you. Inquire there as to if they can help you brainstorm. Do reach out. You never know the kinds of love and support out there until you find others who have worked there way through all this, too.
-

[ 05-27-2016, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you have not yet, going gluten free can often be a nice help, too. It may help a lot, actually, in quality of life - at least to calm some of the rough waters.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Another brain spurt:

TURMERIC, Cumin, other good garden herbs.

I don't have the capacity to go into detail right now (or ever, really) but these - with good foods from the earth (as best you can gather) can be a nice help, too.

Are there garden groups - again, check with all the naturopathic & acupuncture clinics in your area. They may be your best connections to supporting foods, too.

Library should have these -- and you can get home delivery (due to disability)

Books (check out at Amazon or the books' websites for more detail):

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER

LADLED: NOURISHING SOUPS FOR ALL SEASONS

- by Kimberly Harris (December 18, 2012
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.calnd.org/about

California Naturopathic Doctors Association

http://www.calnd.org/contact-us

Contact

Ask about sliding fee / gratis clinics - or if your state Medicaid might cover any services.

Ask if they have anyone who is "lyme literate" &/or has completed ILADS physician training. [for details about what that is: www.ilads.org ]
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This excellent nation-wide patient advocacy organization is located in California so they will have good idea of options.

http://www.lymedisease.org/

Lyme Disease.org

https://www.lymedisease.org/get-involved/take-action/find-your-state-group/

Lyme Disease State Support Groups - by state
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couple ideas - you say you have family who would be devastated - can they assist at all? Sometimes it's not our immediate folks who can help but the people they know - if we think larger than our immediate circle of those we know - then we may not know the folks who might want to help -

Another idea would be to set up a gofundme account -

Just ideas...

Btw, turmeric is fantastic for reducing inflammation - I get it in bulk at the health food store and dip empty capsules into it.

Symptoms can be treated by natural means too - if you want to list what your symptoms are, we can discuss it. For example, magnesium is needed to treat muscle spasms and more, etc.

Private messaging you about CA -

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
project
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for project     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of bang for the buck against Lyme I think essential oils can't be beat:

I used only essential oils (Thyme and Lavender) for 2 years and made a ton of progress. You just need to dilute 1-20 drops of them in a carrier oil and then slather them over yourself. Wait until you stop herxing and then repeat.

Lavender tends to be a bit pricey and the cheap ones can be adulterated. Clove oil is powerful and cheap and likely pure. Thyme is probably the single most effective oil I have used.

As far as the carrier oil almost any oil can work. I'm not sure what would be the cheapest. I use Jojoba but it's a bit pricey. Maybe Sunflower or Canola oil would be cheapest.

For $30 you would probably have close to a year's supply of treatment, depending on how much you herx and how aggressively you treat.

http://www.amazon.com/Clove-Large-ounce-Best-Essential/dp/B00R8GX5UQ/
http://www.amazon.com/Thyme-Large-ounce-Best-Essential/dp/B00PHVXIL0/

Posts: 131 | From CO | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Project, if someone does essential oils and starts herxing, do they also need to be detoxing, and if so, how best would you suggest, in terms of affordability?

Also, is there any way to control the extent of herxing, as in small vs huge herxing when using EOs? If you know?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are going to use essential oils, you need to get the safest ones out there. The BEST and they are not cheap.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly understand what you are feeling -- I've had the same thoughts myself when I was in your situation. Please hang on, and try whatever natural remedies are available to you.

Some people have found the salt/vitamin C protocol really helpful. I know it sounds pretty out there, but I'm doing it myself right now, and it actually IS helping me! I did antibiotics years ago, but have relapsed since then.

If you are truly desperate, it might be worth considering the salt/c protocol. I'm not advocating self treatment, but sometimes that's the only available option.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
piggy backing onto LymeToo, post about good quality essential oils.

Same with any carrier oil, be sure it's fresh and "clean" sourced. Any oils can go bad and then they can be toxic - more so with ingestion but if when for external use to dilute / carry, best if the almond oil (or whatever) is the best quality and stored away from heat & light.

"Young Living" is a good brand of the essential oils. Only for external use, to be clear.

project posed two links to another brand that looks good. Just be sure to always really check out the source - and their sources to know for sure what you are getting.

You might connect with the area support groups and see if anyone there is currently using these in any way. Then, maybe you could do a whiff test for yourself to see if you could tolerate these scents.

Many with lyme also have sensitivities. Just in case you might, good to do a "whiff test" before buying anything. And, while real scents are often easy than synthesized fragrances, for some with MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities), lavender can be especially hard.

Citrus seem to be the easiest. Thieves, while the most therapeutic of all, IMO, can be overwhelming, too, so go light at first with that one.
-

me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few thoughts;

Check on rx websites to see if you can get discounts.

Docs in some states are required to do a certain amount of pro bono work per year. Maybe you could inquire about this

I ran up credit cards because I was sick of living in such a miserable manner. Not recommending you do or don't do that. That in and of it self was stressful.

Some people swear by bee venom therapy and sting themselves. Bees are pretty cheap, but make sure you do research and have an allergy kit available if you try this.

Maybe someone in your area has a mHBOT chamber they would let you use?

I'm sorry you are going through this. Hug.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an idea that came to mind...

Do you currently get food at all from food banks or pantries. If you don't you should try checking out local food pantries in your area. Many churches run food drives on a regular basis as well.

Also, could you apply for any kind of food stamps? If you can get food for free and cheap, then you could set aside a little bit of money to buy herbs in bulk online and make you own capsules.

MANY people on here do that and they have great results treating with herbal. When you buy them in bulk you save a ton of money! You can buy them by the pound for $30.

Look into Buhner's Herbal Protocol for more information about the specific herbs and doses. 1stchineseherbs.com is a great website to order the bulk herbs from

Don't ever give up! There's always a way to get relief. Someway somehow.

Hang in there!

(breaking up the paragraph for easier reading for many here)

[ 05-29-2016, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
project
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for project     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin123 - Yes it's possible to adjust the level of herxing based on the number of drops of EOs used.

I'm not sure about the cheapest detox method. For me sauna/sweating is hands down the best method. Maybe it would be possible to construct a cheap near infrared sauna for $20-$30 by using a bulb and holder in a confined area like the bathroom to trap the heat.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-415836-250-Watt-Flood-Light/dp/B0066L0YJE/
http://www.amazon.com/Bayco-SL-302B3-Brooder-Porcelain-Ceramic/dp/B0061MZ4Q6/
http://www.amazon.com/RubyLux-Infrared-Goggles-Shade-Protection/dp/B014B1G642

Lymetoo - I think there can be adulteration in the EO world but certain oils are cheap to produce and so carry little risk of adulteration with synthetics. Clove oil in particular, I think common Thyme would be unlikely to be adulterated as well. Definitely worth checking out the brand. I use that brand of oil for types that I feel are relatively low risk.

Posts: 131 | From CO | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might consider CD. My husband did it and said it really helped him. It's also cheap to do.

You can do a search to find more posts about it. Unfortunately other members have dropped off of the board (didn't want to be hassled).

With that in mind, it not only helps fight lyme, it is actually helping kids with autism (SPEAKS VOLUMES) and a major lyme doc has said that 70% of his autistic patients have lyme, so you do the math.

Keep in mind that parents of kids with autism will try absolutely anything to help their children and this is working for many of them. So read Kerri Rivera's book.

Fyi, my husband has moved onto herbs, but he said it really cleaned out a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Symptoms-Known-Autism-2nd/dp/0989289044/ref=pd_sim_14_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=51GO5xYyZNL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR214%2C320_&refRID=1VGQN2MGMQ5Q1D75SK1Z

http://www.amazon.com/Mineral-Solution-Millenium-Updated-Supplement/dp/B005LC3KW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464383752&sr=8-1&keywords=mms%2C+jim+humble

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIght now I'm doing oral abx. You can get pretty much any oral abx from overseas pharmacies; they are cheaper and you don't need a prescription.

People have seemed to do well with Cannabis for pain and also for CNS issues. If you don't live in a state where it's legal then you can get CBD oil from hemp, which is legal everywhere.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLH516
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLH516     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of helpful suggestions here, thank you all so much.

Catgirl -- CD? Did you mean CBD? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation "CD."

I have an EO provider whom I trust and who has good quality oils, so that's one less thing to have to research. And I LOVE lavender. [Smile]

Project, you said dilute 1-20 drops in a carrier oil -- how much carrier oil?

Keebler, you said "citrus seem to be the easiest" -- citrus EOs? If so, which one(s)? And when you say EOs, do you mean using them the way Project described (1-20 drops in a carrier oil)?

Medical marijuana is legal here in CA -- what's the best way to get a card for it? What doc would be the best to ask for that...primary care, someone else?

Minimonkey, can I just google salt and vit c to find out about it, or is there somewhere specific that's better for gathering the info?

I'm going to start a candida diet in a few days, so that will hopefully help eventually, though I know it can take a bit.

Does anyone here have experience with bees? If not, I can search/start another topic. Since that's fairly cheap, I'm thinking of trying that soon.

Posts: 112 | From USA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link found on Lymenet for "Financial Help and Other Information":

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=023463;p=0

The Lyme Disease United Coalition has good information for financial resources on their website:

http://www.lduc.org/lyme-disease-resources

Scroll down for financial help, etc., available from several sources.

The Lyme Test Access Program (Lyme-TAP) is a nationwide patient assistance program to provide assistance for initial Lyme-related lab tests to patients who demonstrate true financial need. I think coverage is up to 75%.
View on www.lymetap.com

"Help For You" link here...

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/help-for-you

Here are some links regarding bee therapy that you asked about:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=133881;p=0#000004

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=132758;p=0#000006

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131690;p=0#000000

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=127191;p=0#000000

For uplifting, encouraging, life-changing music, listen to KLOVE (FM radio). You can listen online anytime www.klove.com by clicking on "Listen Online" on their homepage (upper-right hand side) or you can find a station near you by going to "Find a Radio Station" under the photo/video on the homepage. Click on that then "Download Complete Printable Radio Station List" in blue letters, top middle.

Your life most certainly matters, After all, you are "fearfully and wonderfully made."

Please don't give up. It will get better.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
project
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46200

quote:
Project, you said dilute 1-20 drops in a carrier oil -- how much carrier oil?
Medical marijuana is legal here in CA -- what's the best way to get a card for it? What doc would be the best to ask for that...primary care, someone else?

I'd just use enough carrier to be able to get the oil all over to maximize the surface area and absorption. Like 1 tsp maybe. I'd then throw on some pyjamas and go to sleep while the oils do their thing.

I've used Cannabis oil and CBD oil but I would caution you that it's probably one of the more expensive treatments. Because of the black market history of Cannabis it all tends to be pretty expensive, especially when you get to the dosages required for actually treating Lyme. For symptom relief you don't need nearly as much and so it could be doable, but still not really cheap.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of natural means to use to get well. Herbs, essential oils, the violet ray (there's a thread, it's only $30), etc. If you need help paying for some of the natural treatments, can you ask some of those family members who would be devastated to lose you?

Some herbs that are helpful (you can do your research on them and others, maybe look at Stephen Buhner's site). Oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, quinine (if you have babesia), Humaworm (for parasites and bartonella), Hilda Clark liver cleanses (there's a website), coffee enemas (for liver cleansing), milk thistle (liver), NAC (liver and metals), ALA (liver and metals), cilantro (metals), andrographis, resveratrol.

I have a friend who only focused on getting her body to function better and never treated the Lyme. She's healthy, leading a normal life with a full time job, and has no issues with Lyme.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
SLH, you have a question about a note I posted with

"citrus seem to be the easiest" -- citrus EOs? If so, which one(s)? And when you say EOs, do you mean using them the way Project described (1-20 drops in a carrier oil)?

No, I meant in terms of tolerating the smell - I've not used EO in terms that project describes (other than Thieves long ago - I just could not tolerate the smells. You might - just something to consider if you are going to lay out cash first).
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement